Position: Principal Lecturer
Linkedin: View Linkedin profile
Faculty: Business & Management
Former Programme Director for MA in Management with pathways, a highly motivated professional successfully combining full-time Principal lecturing with managing family businesses in the residential letting and internet start-up industry. Fortunate to experience and implement both managerial and leadership skills in the face of rapid, dynamic and significant changes in the health, education and telecommunications sectors/ environment. Had twenty years’ experience in running residential private homes for People with Learning Difficulties. Prime focus is in the area of innovative assessments, coaching and Continued Professional Development (CPD). May 2011, qualified as an accredited international and certified (ILM) coach and certified as a Train The Trainer provider (ILM) in November 2013. In September 2016 became an MTQ48 Certified. Co-authored a textbook “The Key to Coaching – Learning, Application and Practice.” for University students. Website: http://www.thekeytocoaching.com
Strong links to professional bodies – in particular Chartered Management Institute and CPD. First person in the UK to run University approved CPD accredited Events as co-curricular workshops. Having successfully completed the PGCHE in June 2016, aiming for the Senior Fellowship for HEA by the end of 2018.
- PGCHE (Merit) Regents University London, 2015-16
- MBA University of Aston, 1992
- MA Manpower Studies, University of Westminster, 1991
- DMS Kingston Polytechnic, 1990
- HND (Dist) South West London College, 1988
- Certificate of Coaching – Coaching Academy (July 2009)
- Accredited Belbin (July 2009)
- Accredited Coach (ICA) (September 2009)
- ILM Certificate in Coaching (January 2010) – [Awarded the 2nd highest mark in the country 2010]
- Train The Trainer ILM Endorsed Programme (November 2013)
- Leading Transformation in Learning and Teaching programme (July – October 2014)
- Certificate of Attendance “How to Maximise the Use of Belbin Through Coaching” 16 Sep 2014
- One-Day DISC Certification Workshop, Accelerator Day-The Coaching Academy 27 Sep 2014
- Small Business & Corporate Coaching Diploma Taster Day-The Coaching Academy 28 Sep 2014
- Mental Toughness and MTQ48 – One Day Workshop – AQR – CPD Event
Relevant Past Employment
- 2016- current: Fellow and Principal Lecturer Regent's University London (European Business School)
- 2008-2016: Programme Director of MA Pathways, Principal Lecturer Regent's University London
- 2007-2008: Head of MA Programmes, Principal Lecturer, European Business School, England
- 2006-2007: Acting Course Leader for 3 MA pathways & Subject Leader European Business School
- 2004-2006: Subject Leader (SL) in Human Resources European Business School, London
- 2003-2004: Acting Deputy Head of Business & SL, European Business School, London
- 2000-2003: Subject Leader (SL) in Human Resources, European Business School, England, London
- 1998-1999: Visiting Lecturer-Operations & Design Management, European Business School, England
- 1998-1999: Self-Employed Consultant, University of South Bank, England, London
- 1996-1997: Consultant Guyana Business School, West Indies, Guyana
- 1994-1996:Visiting Lecturer, University of South Bank, England, London
- 1995-1995: Visiting Lecturer, School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS), England, London
- 1988-1994: Visiting Lecturer & Executive Officer, London Private School of Business Education
- Associate Member of the Association of Business Executives - AMABE
- Associate Master of Business Administration - AMBA
- Affiliate Member Chartered Institute of Personal Management - CIPD
- Fellow Member Higher Education Academy – FHEA (2016)
- Fellow Member Chartered Management Institute – FCMI (Dec 2014)
- Member Institute of Learning and Teaching in Higher Education - MILT
- Member British Institute of Learning and Development – MBILD (June 2009-2014) (June 2016 -
Teaching & Course Development
Written and taught on the following modules within the last 5 years at Masters Level:
- Strategic Human Resource Management
- Strategic Human Resource Development
- Business Research Methods for International Business
- Business Research Methods for Entrepreneurs
- Reward Management
- Corporate Entrepreneurship
Taught on the following modules within the last 5 years at Masters Level:
- Business Planning In Global Context
- May 2015 – Successfully lead a Programme team towards the validation in MA International Business for five (5) years.
- April 2016 - Delivered CPD accredited workshop called Psychometrics of Group Dynamics
- September 2016 – Personal Coaching CDP accredited approved (to be delivered to Masters Students in the fall 2017, date to be confirmed.
- September 2016 – Submission of another CPD Event called “Applying Belbin in Individual and Group Coaching”. If approved to be delivered to Masters Students in Spring 2018.
Masters level supervision for the last ten (10) years.
- 2012 – 2016: External Examiner for International Institute of Management & Technology, India on behalf of Oxford Brookes University for (four) 4 Postgraduate Diploma in Management programmes & four Postgraduate MSc programmes
- Oct 2012: External Panel Member for validation for four (4) Postgraduate programmes, University of South Bank
- 2007-2011: Samling – Hungary – MBA International Human Resource Management
- Teaching and Learning and Assessment Strategies (Innovative Assessments)
- Professional Development Portfolio (PDP and or CPD]
- Ali, A. and Chan, E. (2016) The Key to Coaching – Learning, Application and Practice, Lulu Press, North Carolina, USA.
- 3 - 5 March 14: University of Coventry – 3 day intensive Programme on Strategic Human Resource Management in Entrepreneurship to Post graduate students
- 2013 – 2014: European Business Awards – Judge for 1st and 2nd round for European entrants.
- 2013: Roehampton University. Consultants for ‘Soft skills and experiential learning for HE’, Postgraduate Certificate in the Delivery of Soft Skills and Experiential Learning, Feb 2013.
- 2005 – 2008: Park Royal Partnership, England, London, Devised with a team a mentoring module which has been validated by the OUVS. Involved in delivering a B2B Mentoring Programme for Executives within Park Royal and SME’s
Conference Papers Given
- Writing and publishing a textbook”, BAM Research Conference, 10th July 2017, with Dr E. Chan
- “Applying accredited CPD Events within Regent’s University London co-curricular Masters Programme”, Poster Presentation for the Chartered Association of Business Schools (CABS) 6th Annual Conference, Bristol, 25-26th April 2017(in absentia) with Dr E. Chan
- “How we are positioning CPD within Regents University and what the long term vision is.” CPD Presentation at the Royal College Surgeons, London, Lincoln Fields Inn, with Dr E. Chan on Monday 16th May 2016
- “Teaching principles used to teach Strategic Human Resource Management” One Day Learning and Teaching Conference, “Maximising the Potential of Assessment and Feedback” May 29th 2013, Regents University, London.
- An audit of existing teaching practices using case method and developing skills through case study workshop. Regents College Faculty of Learning and Teaching Group. Interim Project Report, Prof Ibrahim Sirkeci and Azam Ali, 28th April 2011.
- Empirical study of utilizing Innovative Assessments in the Human Resource Management module at EBSL, The Higher Education Academy, Conference paper. Newcastle Marriott Gosforth Park, Newcastle Upon Tyne 20th – 21st April 2010
- A critical review of measuring student expectations through the Placement Learning Project at the European Business School, London. Paper presented with Nick Bowen, Duda Jadrijevic from European Business School London (EBSL) and Mariona Centellas from Regents Business School London (RBSL) - Paper presented at the ASET (Association for Sandwich Education & Training) on the 4-6 September 2007 at UWIC, Cardiff
- Critical Evaluation of mentoring in Higher Education – A suggested way forward for EBSL? Paper to be presented on behalf of the LTC and staff on 16th May 2007 at European Business School
- Collaborating as a Strategy: a B2B Mentoring Programme. Paper presented with David Horton as part of “The World Council for Corporate Governance” as part of World the Global Conference on Social Responsibility held between 15-17 February 2007, Dom Pedro Golf Resort, Vilamoura, Portugal
- International Placements at Regent’s College: A critical view of placements at European Business School, London (EBSL) and Regents Business School, London (RBSL) - Paper presented at the ASET (Association for Sandwich Education & Training) on the 5-7 September 2006 at Cadbury’s Manor House, Birmingham
- Critical Evaluation of mentoring as a learning tool for students studying the Undergraduate Programme at EBSL – A suggested way forward? Interim presentation for the LTC and staff on 17th May 2006 at European Business School
- Innovative Assessment Vol.2 – newsletter published for staff dissemination on 26th January 2005.
- Innovative Assessment – newsletter published for staff dissemination on 10th June 2004, and presented at the Learning Teaching Committee (LTC) on the 30 June 2004.
- Supporting Student Learning On Work Placements- Paper presented at the ASET (Association for Sandwich Education & Training) on the 7-9 September 2004 at Fitzwilliam College Cambridge
- Submitted a draft paper in September 2001 entitled “Football transfers and its relationship to human resources practices at football clubs. How do football clubs achieve a competitive advantage in this uncertain environment?” to Liverpool University, Liverpool Research Unit. Offered to do either a PhD or a PGCert Business Administration [Football Industries] in September 2003.
- Analysing the academic performance of Autumn Semester 2000 students against a range of entry level criteria. Paper produced with R. Mannix on October 31st 2001, report tabled to the Quality Enhancement Committee at EBS, London.
- Using the Critical Incident Technique for Residential Homes, University of Westminster, MA thesis, 1991
Last updated: 08 December 2017