Position: Senior Lecturer in International Political Economy
Faculty: Creative and Liberal Arts
Dr. Sara Bazoobandi is a senior lecturer in International Political Economy at Regent’s University London and an associate fellow at Middle East North Africa program of the Royal Institute of International Affairs, Chatham House.
She has contributed in various global and regional track two initiatives and research projects on political, economic and social affairs of the Middle East North Africa region. Dr. Bazoobandi’s core research interest is focused on Iran and Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) countries and she has carried out extensive research on various aspects of the Persian Gulf sovereign wealth funds. She is a frequent participant to various international events and media interviews discussing current regional affairs.
Sara has been appointed as a Member of the Global Agenda Council of the World Economic Forum on the Middle East and North Africa for 2014-2016. The Council provides advice to Arab economies in transition on how to advance policies and actions for youth-oriented growth and employment.
Prior to joining Regent’s, Dr. Bazoobandi worked as a visiting scholar at the Middle East Institute of the National University of Singapore. She also served as an economic analyst for various international corporate organisations, policy advisory institutions and think-tanks including Nomura International, Roubini Global Economics and Fundación para las Relaciones Internacionales y el Diálogo Exterior(FRIDE).
Between 2008 and 2011, Sara has been an advisor to Social Cohesion Working Group of West Asia North Africa Forum (WANA) which is a regional initiative under patronage of Prince Hassan Bin Talal Organisation in Jordan aiming to strengthen regional multilateral dialogue between decision makers and civil society actors regarding shared human concerns.
- PhD. in Middle East Political Economy, July 2011 (Institute of Arab and Islamic Studies, Exeter University, UK)
- MSc. in Economic Development in Emerging Markets, September 2007 (University of Reading, UK)
- BSc. in Civil Engineering May 2001 (Tehran, Iran)
Relevant Past Employment
- 2013 – Present, Regent’s University London, UK (Lecturer in International Political Economy)
- 2012, National University of Singapore, Middle East Institute, Singapore (Research Fellow)
- 2012, Roubini Global Economics, London (Senior Analyst)
- 2010-2012, Nomura International, London (Senior Analyst)
- 2010, Gulf Research Centre, Dubai (Visiting Fellow)
- 2009, Fundación para las Relaciones Internacionales y el Diálogo Exterior(FRIDE), Madrid (Visiting Fellow)
- Fellow, Higher Education Academy
- Associate Fellow, MENA Programme, Royal Institute of International Affairs, Chatham House
Teaching & Course Development
- International Political Economy
- Politics of Development
- Oil and Gas Market Fundamentals
- Environmental and Energy Security
- Introduction to Microeconomics
- World System Since 1500
- Persian Gulf Sovereign Wealth Funds
- Dynamics of Global Energy Markets
- Political Economy of Iran and the GCC
- Middle East Security
- Bazoobandi. S (2015) ‘GCC Sovereign Wealth Funds: Aims and Motives’ in The Rising Gulf, the New Ambitions of the Gulf Monarchies edited by Valeria Talbot. (Available at: http://www.ispionline.it/it/EBook/TheRisingGulf.pdf )
- Bazoobandi. S (2015) ‘Iran’s Economy and Energy: Back in Business’ in Iran After the Deal: the Road Ahead edited by Paolo Magri and Annalisa Perteghella. (Available at: http://www.ispionline.it/it/EBook/Iran_after_the_Deal.pdfedition.pdf)
- Bazoobandi. S (2015) ‘Sanctions against Iran: winners and loosers’ in On target? EU sanctions as security policy tools edited by Iana Dreyer and Jose Luego-Babrera. (Available at: http://www.iss.europa.eu/uploads/media/Report_25_EU_Sanctions.pdf)
- Bazoobandi, S. (2014) ‘Iran's Regional Policy: Interests, Challenges and Ambitions’ Analysis No. 275, Italian Institute for International and Political Studies (available at: http://www.ispionline.it/sites/default/files/pubblicazioni/analysis_275__2014_0.pdf)
- Bazoobandi, S. (ed.) (2014), ‘The Politics of Food Security: East Asia and Gulf Experiences’, Gerlach Press.
- Bazoobandi, S. (2014) ‘Iranian Economy and Citizens’, in Chatham House Iran Report
- Bazoobandi, S. and Sven Behrendt (2013) ‘Sovereign Wealth Management in the Islamic Republic of Iran: Prospects Beyond Sanctions’, Geoeconomica paper brief, December 2013 (available at: http://geoeconomica.com/index.php/analyses.html)
- Bazoobandi, S. (2013) ‘Iran nuclear talks: How Tehran got back to the negotiating table’, CNN, October 2013 (available at: http://edition.cnn.com/2013/10/15/opinion/iran-nuclear-talks/)
- Bazoobandi, S. (2013) ‘What's Driving Iran's Shift?’ Chatham House Expert Comment, October 2013 (available at: http://www.chathamhouse.org/media/comment/view/194533)
- Bazoobandi, S. (2013), ‘Iran-Asia economic relations’, in Niblock, T. (ed.) Asia-Gulf Economic Relations in the 21st Century, Berlin: Gerlach Press.
- Bazoobandi, S. (2013), ‘The Role of Cyber Media in Democratisation: A Case Study of Islamic Republic of Iran’, in Golan, G. (ed.), Non-State Actors of the Middle East, Routledge.
- Bazoobandi, S. (2013), ‘An Overview of the Iranian Economy’, in Matthews, C. (ed.) Middle East and North Annual Regional Survey,: Routledge.
- Bazobandi, S. (2012), ‘Political Economy of Middle Eastern Sovereign Wealth Funds: A Case Study of Iran, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia and United Arab Emirates’, Routledge.
- Bazoobandi, S. (2012), ‘Iran Domestic Political and Economic Challenges’, Gulf Research Centre Working Paper.
- Bazoobandi, S. and Tim Niblock, (2010), ‘Arab Sovereign Wealth Funds: the Challenge of Transparency’ in Matteo Legrenzi (et. al.) New Geopolitics of the Gulf, Ashgate.
- Bazoobandi,S. and Edward Burke (2009), ‘the Gulf takes Charge: the GCC in the MENA region’ Fundación para las Relaciones Internacionales y el Diálogo Exterior (FRIDE) Working Paper
Selected Articles In Farsi
- Contributor (in Farsi) to economic pages of BBC Persian and Sharq Al Awsat Persian on various economic issues of the region
- Frequent media appearance including: BBC Persian TV Channel, Voice of America Persian, and Channel News Asia, on various economic and political issues of the MENA region
- Volunteer and fund raiser, Women for Women International, 2011 -2012
- President, British Society for Middle Eastern Studies (BRISMES) Graduate Section, 2009 – 2010
- Economic editor, Journal for New Middle Eastern Studies, 2009 - 2010
- Executive Committee Coordinator, the 5th Annual Graduate Conference of British Society for Middle Eastern Studies, September 2009
- Occasional brief writing for Oxford Analytica, 2009-2010
- Member, Research Group on EU Democracy Promotion in the Middle East, University of Birmingham, 2008-2011
Conference Papers Given
- “The Gulf as a Global Hub”, Istituto per gli studi di politica internazionale (ISPI) Conference on Changing Dynamics in the Gulf, Milan, June 2014
- “Sino_Iranian Economic Relations”, International Workshop on China – Middle East Relations, Nottingham University, May 2014
- “Imperial Relations between Persia and the Far East”, Durham University, Durham, February 2013
- “2013 Middle East Economic Forecast”, National Defence University, Bangkok, November 2012
- “Israel in Context: Security Challenges and Regional Relations”, Chatham House, London, October 2012
- “Leadership in the Middle East: Cultural Nuances”, Singapore Human Capital Summit, Singapore, September 2012
- “The Issue of Food Security in the Middle East and North Africa”, Middle East Technical University, Ankara, June 2012
- “Iran pushing ties with emerging Asia”, Gulf Research Meeting, Cambridge, July 2012
- “Gender Inclusion and Job Creation: Towards a New Development Paradigm in Iran” International Iranian Economic Association (IIEA) Annual Conference on Iran’s Economy, School of Oriental and African Studies, London, December 2011
- “Middle Eastern Sovereign Wealth Management”, Gulf Research Meeting, Cambridge University, Cambridge, July 2011
Anthony Pearson Scholarship, Exeter University
Last updated: 08 December 2017