Position: Principal Lecture, Head of Programme
Linkedin: View Linkedin profile
Faculty: Business & Management
Dr Vincent Ong is currently Head of Programme of BA (Hons) International Business, a flagship degree programme that gives students an international and cross-cultural view of the business world, enabling them to work in multi-disciplinary, multicultural teams and lead people in a complex and changing environment. Vincent is also a Fellow member of the Higher Education Academy. As the Head of Programme, he has championed a number of enriching co-curricular activities and events for students, such as International Business Week, Intercultural Intelligence Day, Summer Service and Learning Programme in rural China (in partnership with Tsinghua University) etc. Previously, he worked for University of Bedfordshire as MBA Course Leader and Transnational Education (TNE) Link Tutor of BA (Hons) Business Management in Hong Kong and Singapore. He has been involved in a number of undergraduate and postgraduate curriculum design and delivery, as well as curriculum review and validation.
Vincent’s research and teaching interests are in the areas of digital business management, information systems, and the use of emerging and intelligent ICT, such as business intelligence, big data and cloud computing, for organisational and individual information processing, decision making and strategic planning. He has been involved in various independent and collaborative research projects and bidding activities at the university, national and European level. His last research project funded by JISC’s Business Intelligence Programme focused on the use of intelligent student engagement tracking system for supporting institutional decision making in Higher Education. Vincent has also published a number of journal papers, book chapters and conference papers
- PhD in Information Systems, University of Bedfordshire, 2006
- Post Graduate Certificate in Teaching in Higher Education (PGCTHE), University of Bedfordshire, 2005#
- MBA (with distinction), University of Leicester, 1998
- BSc in Mechanical Engineering, University Technology Malaysia, 1997
Relevant Past Employment
- 2012-2014 MBA Course Leader and TNE Link Tutor, University of Bedfordshire
- 2006-2012 Senior Lecturer, University of Bedfordshire
- 2002-2006 Lecturer, University of Luton
- 1999-2002 Teaching Assistant, University of Luton
- 1998-1999 Trainee Consultant, Netik Consulting Limited, City of London
Fellow Higher Education Academy (FHEA)
Teaching & Course Development
- Pathway Leader on MSc Information Systems and Business Management
- Module Leader on Applied Management Project (PG Level)
- Module Leader on Digital Business Management (PG Level)
- Module Leader on Information Systems in the Hospital and Health Services (PG Level)
- Module Leader on Applied E-business (UG Level 6)
- Module Leader on Business Systems and Process Operations Management (UG Level 5)
- Module Leader on Management of Business Systems and Process/Operations (UG Level 5)
- MSc Business Web Analytics and Management, University of Bedfordshire
- MSc Information Systems and Business Management, University of Bedfordshire
- Master of Business Administration, University of Bedfordshire
- PhD supervision, Second Director of Studies, University of Bedfordshire
- On-going supervision of numerous UG dissertations
- 2013, Internal validation panel member for periodic course review of postgraduate courses in Department of Accounting and Finance, University of Bedfordshire
- 2012, PhD internal examiner, University of Bedfordshire
- 2012, MSc by Research internal examiner, University of Bedfordshire
- 2009, External validation panel member of FdA/BA (Hons) in Computing and Management, University Campus Suffolk.
My principal research interest is how the emerging digital technologies and ICTs are designed and deployed for supporting and enhancing information processing and decision making.
- Digital business management
- Business intelligent systems with agent technology support
- Intelligent information processing and management
- Internet and mobile technologies and applications
- IT-Business alignment and fusion
- Business intelligence in Higher Education
- Web analytics
- Cloud computing
- Ong, V. K. 2016, 'Business Intelligence and Big Data Analytics for Higher Education: Cases from UK Higher Education Institutions', Information Engineering Express International Journal, 2 (1), pp. 65-75.
- Bentley, Y., Richardson, D., Duan, Y., Philpott, E., Ong, V. and Owen, D. 2012, 'Research-led Design for an Innovative MSc Course in Project Management', Journal of Management Education.
- Duan, Y., Ong, V.K., Xu, M. and Mathews, B. 2012, 'Supporting decision making process with 'ideal' software agents: What do business executives want?' Expert Systems with Applications, 39 (5). pp. 5534-5547. (3* - ABS)
- Xu, M., Ong, V., Duan, Y. and Mathews, B. 2010, 'Intelligent agent systems for executive information scanning, filtering and interpretation: Perceptions and challenges', Information Processing and Management, 47 (2), pp. 186-201. (3* - ABS)
- Ong, V., Duan, Y. & Mathews, B. 2007, 'Supporting executive intelligence activities with agent-based Executive Information Systems', in Xu, M. (Ed), Managing Strategic Intelligence: Techniques and Technologies, Idea Group Inc.
- Xu, M., Ong, V. & Duan, Y. 2007, 'Developing an ontology-based intelligent EIS for semantic executive information processing', in Xu, M. (Ed), Managing Strategic Intelligence: Techniques and Technologies, Idea Group Inc.
Conference Papers Given
- Ong, V. 2015, 'Big Data and its Research Implications for Higher Education: Cases from UK Higher Education Institutions', in The 4th International Congress on Advanced Applied Informatics AAI2015, 12-16 July 2015, Okayama, Japan.
- Duan, Y., Cao, G., Ong, V. and Woolley, M. 2013, ‘Big data in higher education: an action research on managing student engagement with business intelligence’, in The 2nd International Conference on Emerging Research Paradigms in Business and Social Sciences, 26-28 November 2013, Dubai UAE. (Best Paper)
- Ong, V.K., Duan, Y. and Jackson, S. 2012, 'Supporting Institutional Decision Making with an Intelligent Student Engagement Tracking System', in Proceedings of The IADIS International Conference Information Systems 2012, 10-12 March 2012, Berlin, Germany.
- Ong, V.K., Duan, Y. and Mathews, B. 2010, 'Using Interpretive Paradigm and CAQDAS in Executive Information Systems Research, in Proceedings of The IADIS International Conference Information Systems 2010, 18-20 March 2010, Porto, Portugal.
- Ong, V.K., Richardson, D., Duan, Y., He, Q. and Johnson, B. 2009, 'The Role of Project Leadership in Achieving Effective Project Management', in Proceedings of The 5th European Conference on Management, Leadership and Governance, ECMLG 2009, 5-6 November 2009, Athens, Greece.
- Ong, V. K., Beaumont-Kerridge, J. & Duan, Y. 2007, 'Insights from a pilot project on developing and piloting an e-learning module', in Proceedings of The 6th European Conference on e-Learning, ECEL 2007, 4-5 October 2007, Copenhagen, Denmark.
- Xu, M., Ong, V. & Duan, Y. 2007, 'Developing an ontology-based intelligent EIS for semantic executive information processing', in Proceedings of The First International Conference of information Technology and Management, ICITM 2007, 3-5 January 2007, Hong Kong.
- Ong, V., Duan, Y., Mathews, B. & Xu, M. 2006, 'Executive criteria of agent-based support executive information systems', in Proceedings of The 10th World Multi-Conference on Systemics, Cybernetics and Informatics, WMSCI 2006, 16-19 July 2006, Orlando, Florida. (Best Paper in the Management Information Systems session)
- Ong, V., Duan, Y., Xu, M. & Mathews, B. 2005, 'Revitalising Executive Information Systems Design and Development', in Proceedings of The European and Mediterranean Conference on Information Systems, 7-9 June 2005, Cairo, Egypt.
- Ong, V., Duan, Y., Xu, M. & Mathews, B. (2004, 'Executive Information Processing with Intelligent Solutions: Insights from Focus Group Research', in Proceedings of The European and Mediterranean Conference on Information Systems, 25-27 July 2004, Tunis, Tunisia.
- Ong, V., Duan, Y & Xu, M 2002, 'Supporting Executive Intelligence Activities with Intelligent Agents', in Proceedings of The 3rd International Conference on Internet Computing, IC'02, 24-27 June 2002, Las Vegas, USA, ISBN: 1-892512-37-8.
- Ong, V., Duan, Y. & Xu, M. 2002, 'An Agent-based Environment For Supporting Executive Intelligence Activities', in Proceedings of The 5th International Conference on Business Information Systems, BIS 2002, 24-25 April 2002, Poznan, Poland.
- JISC Grant: Business Intelligence Programme (Project Manager, March 2011 – August 2012, £50,000) – Supporting institutional decision making with an intelligent student engagement tracking system
- Dean’s Research and Scholarship Grant (January 2010 – January 2011, £2,000) – An Exploratory Study of Mobile Communication Devices for Supporting Learning and Teaching in Higher Education.
- Research Informed Teaching (RiT) (Project Team, March 2008 to April 2010, £16,707) – A Study of Contemporary Project Management Tools and Techniques Used in Organisations
- Languages for eCommerce (Project Coordinator, from November 2004 to October 2007, 51,750 EURO)
Last updated: 08 December 2017