Position: Senior Lecturer
Faculty: Institute of Languages and Culture
Dr Yunzhen Liu joined Regent's University London in Feb, 2010 as a Lecturer in Chinese. Yunzhen previously worked at the University of Newcastle, University of Sunderland, and Yichun University (P.R. China), lecturing English, Chinese, and providing teachers training for teacher trainees. Yunzhen is keen on research especially on Second Language Acquisition and Heritage Language Acquisition. Yunzhen was promoted to Senior Lecturer in Chinese in May, 2011, thanks to her quality work.
- PhD in Educational and Applied Linguistics, Newcastle University, July, 2012
- MA in Applied Linguistics, University of Bedfordshire, July, 2005
- PgDip in Teaching English as a Foreign Language, University of Bedfordshire, July, 2005
- MA in Intercultural Communication, University of Bedfordshire, July, 2002
- BA in Teaching English as a Foreign Language, Jiangxi Teachers’ University, July, 1995
- Diploma in Teaching English as a Foreign Language, Yichun University, July, 1986
Relevant Past Employment
- May, 2011 – date: Senior Lecturer in Chinese, Regent’s University London
- Feb, 2010 – May, 2011: Lecturer in Chinese, Regent’s University London
- Sep, 2008 – Jan, 2010: Chinese Language Teacher (0.5FT), Newcastle University
- Aug, 2006 – Jan, 2010: Visiting Lecturer, Sunderland University
- Oct, 2007 – Aug, 2008: Visiting Chinese Language Teacher, Newcastle University
- Feb, 2006 – June, 2007: Mandarin Tutor, Newcastle Putonghua Chinese School
- Sep, 2001 – July, 2005: Mandarin Tutor, Leagrave Chinese School
- Aug – Nov, 2003: ESOL Teacher, Barnfied College
- Sep, 1992 – July, 2000: Senior English Lecturer, Yichun University
- Sep, 1986 – July, 1992: English Teacher, Yichun No.6 Middle School
- Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (SFHEA)
- British Chinese Language Teaching Society (BCLTS)
- British Association for Chinese Studies (BACS)
- Chinese Language Teachers Association (CLTA)
Teaching & Course Development
As a Senior Lecturer in Chinese and a module leader for a number of courses, Dr Yunzhen Liu lectures and assesses various levels of Mandarin Chinese for BA, MA students, such as Beginner Chinese, foundation of Chinese Language and Culture, Stage 1, Stage 2, and Stage 3 Business Chinese for BA students, and Language Skills as Human Capital and Multilingualism for MA students. In addition, Yunzhen has been involved in curriculum design and developing a new program – BA (Hons) in International Business and Chinese Studies (BAIBCS). Yunzhen has contributed in developing three modules for this program, such as:
- Contemporary China
- Practical Chinese writing
- Practical Chinese translation and interpretation
External Advisor for UG Chinese Programme for Leeds Metropolitan University, Sep, 2012 – 2016
Dr Yunzhen Liu is keen on the Didactics and Pedagogy of Chinese Language Teaching, Second Language Acquisition; Heritage Language Acquisition; Computer Assisted Language Learning; and Intercultural/Cross-cultural Communication.
- Liu. Y. et al. (1994) Band Two College English Test Reference Book. Jiangxi People’s Education Publishing House.
- Liu. Y. et al. (1994) Band Four College English Test Reference Book. Jiangxi People’s Education Publishing House, 1994.
- Liu. Y and Xiao. H (1995) Exploring the Relationship between Higher Education Institution's Management and Contemporary Public Relations. Journal of Yichun University, 4, p. 69-72.
- Liu. Y (2012) Motivation and Its Relationship with Learning Strategy, ERIC (ED539385)
WORK IN PROGRESS
- Liu. Y. Chinese as a Heritage and Non-Heritage Language Acquisition. Multiannual Matters, 2015.
KEYNOTE SPEECHES AND CONSULTANCY
- Mar – July, 2008: keynote speaker and consultant for exchange programmes on Chinese Language and Culture at the following schools:
- Hummersknott School and Language College
- Park View Community School
- St Bede's Catholic Comprehensive School
- St Aidan's Catholic School and Language College
- June, 2007: keynote speaker and consultant for exchange programme on Chinese Language and Culture at Newcastle upon Tyne Church High School
Conference Papers Given
- Liu. Y (2012) Pitch Representation and an Effective Strategy to Teach Chinese Pronunciation, 2012 CLTA/ACTFL Annual Convention Nov, 2012, Philadelphia, PA;
- Liu. Y (2012) Heritage and Non-Heritage Chinese Students’ Motivation and Chinese Language Learning Strategy, 2nd International Conference on Chinese as a Second Language Research, Aug, 2012, Taipei, Taiwan.
- Liu. Y (2012) On Designing Effective Chinese Language Teaching Materials: A Perspective of Students’ Motivation, Learning Beliefs and Learning Strategies, the 10th International Conference on Chinese Language Pedagogy, June, 2012, Hangzhou, P. R. China;
- Liu. Y (2012) Chinese Language Teaching in the UK: Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow, 2012 International Conference on Chinese Language Teaching, May, 2012, Columbia University, USA;
- Liu. Y (2011) Heritage and Non-Heritage Students’ Pitch Representation, the 9th BCLTS International Symposium on Innovations in Teaching and Learning Chinese as a Foreign Language, June, 2011, Edinburgh, UK;
- Liu. Y (2010) A Comparative Study of Heritage and Non-Heritage Chinese Students’ Learning Strategies, the 8th BCLTS International Symposium Pedagogy and the Chinese Foreign Language Classroom: Theory & Practice, June, 2010, Cardiff, UK;
- Liu. Y (2009) Learning Strategy Use by Heritage and Non-Heritage Learners of Chinese, the CLTA 2009 Annual Meeting held in conjunction with the ACTFL 2009 Convention, November, 2009, San Diego, USA;
- Liu. Y et al (2009) Metaphors in Bilinguals, the 19th Annual Conference of the European Second Language Association, Sep, 2009, Cock, Ireland;
- Liu. Y (2009) Exploring Heritage and Non-Heritage Chinese Learning and Teaching in the UK, the 7th International Chinese Pedagogy Research Symposium, Aug, 2009, Guilin, China;
- Liu. Y (2008) An Exploration of Heritage and Non-Heritage Chinese Learners' Learning Strategies, the 2008 Second Language Research Forum (SLRF) Conference, October, 2008, Hawaii, USA;
- Liu. Y (2007) Chinese Heritage and Non-Heritage Learners’ Learning Strategies, the CLTA (Chinese Language Teachers Association) 2007 Annual Meeting held in conjunction with the ACTFL (American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages) 2007 Convention, November, 2007, Texas, USA;
- Liu. Y (2006) The Impacts of Global Policy Trends upon Chinese Language Education in the UK, First Newcastle Postgraduate Conference in Theoretical and Applied Linguistics, June, 2006, University of Newcastle upon Tyne;
- Liu. Y (2006) 2008 Olympic Games and its Impacts on Contemporary English Education in China, UK GRAD Programme Yorkshire & North East Hub, May, 2006, Northumbria University.
- Sep, 2011 – June, 2012, BAM Faculty Learning and Teaching Working Group Research Grant for: Non-Heritage and Heritage Chinese Learning and Teaching;
- Sep, 2012 – June, 2013, BAM Faculty Research Committee Grant for a monograph book: Chinese as a Heritage and Non-Heritage Language Acquisition;
- Sep, 2013 – June, 2014, BAM Faculty Research Committee Grant
Last updated: 08 December 2017