In recent years the UK government has made major changes to its immigration rules and visa systems for international students.

The information below will give you an overview of  current rules and Regent’s University London's administrative processes to help you obtain a visa. 

Please note, we can only inform you of current regulations and we are not legally in a position to give any immigration advice on applying for visas. If you need further information please direct your enquiries to the Home Office website.

EU/EEA nationals do not require a visa to enter and study in the UK.

Visa routes

For non-EU/EEA nationals there are two visa routes depending on the length of stay.

  1. Short Term Study Visa
  2. Tier 4 (General) Student Visa

In order to choose the correct visa route you will need to consult with the British embassy or consulate in your country, and the UK Home Office.

If you wish to study in the UK for less than 6 months you should look at the Short Term Study Visa route.

If you wish to study in the UK for more than 6 months you should look at the PBS Tier 4 (General) Student Visa. 

1. Short Term Study Visa

On this visa, you will not be allowed to do any work (paid or unpaid).

This visa gives students permission to enter the UK for a maximum of six months but they will not be able to extend their stay in the UK. Also, it will not be possible for them to change from ‘Short Term Study Visa to ‘Tier 4 (General) Student’ from within the UK.

  • Visa-nationals will need to apply in advance for their Short Term Study Visa before entering the UK. Students can find a list of visa national countries form the following website: Non-visa-nationals are subject to the non-visa national rules listed in this link
  • For more information and guidance on the Short Term Study Visa Route please visit the Home Office website.

2. Tier 4 (General) Student Visa

If your course is longer than 6 months or if you think you may wish to extend your visa to continue your studies at Regent's while in the UK, you might need to apply for a TIER 4 Student Visa. In order to be able to apply for this visa, you will need to meet many requirements, including:

  • A minimum English language requirement set by the UKVI and Regent’s University London. All students must have obtained the English level of B2. One of the only tests that is currenlty accepted is IELTS.
  • You must be nominated by your home institution to study abroad
  • Regent's University London requires various documents from you, including CAS request forms and a bank statement
  • You must submit all application material to the Inbound Team at the IPO

Once all requirements are met, Regent’s University London assigns a CAS (Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies) number to you which you receive via email. The CAS is a unique reference number that students use to apply for permission to study in the UK as a Tier 4 (General) student.

For more information and guidance on the Tier 4 (General) student visa, please visit the UK Home Office website.

IMPORTANT Please note that this information is correct at the time of publication and are guidelines only. Regent’s University London cannot offer any advice on the application of visas. If you need further information please direct your enquiries to the Home Office website.

Also in this section

Frequently asked questions
Academic calendars
Summer 2017