July 2014 - The structure and terms of reference of the Disability Services Committee shall be approved or varied only by the Directorate.
• The Disability Officer shall be Chair of the Disability Services Committee, or in his/her absence, any nominated member or the Student Support Manager.
• The membership shall be decided by the Committee; if necessary, the Committee shall have the power to co-opt additional members.
• The Committee shall meet three times during the academic year. Subject to the overall responsibility of the Directorate, the Committee shall be responsible for:
1. Encouraging the University in adopting the social model of disability, in developing an inclusive environment;
2. Overseeing the University’s compliance with disability legislation and the disability policy, and approving any amendments to the policy;
3. Recommending procedures and identifying resource requirements across the University for the provision of reasonable adjustments for University disabled users; Recommendations shall be forwarded to appropriate committees via the Chair of the Committee or to Directorate, as appropriate;
4. Making minutes available to all staff and students on the University intranet, revised where necessary, to respect confidentiality;
5. Monitoring and reviewing the impact of institutional policies, procedures and practices on students and staff with disabilities with a view to continuous improvement;
6. Making recommendations regarding programme specifications, to ensure that these consider the requirements of disabled students;
7. Monitoring the University’s Disability Access Plan on an annual basis.