Discover ideas, practice and policy related to teaching at Regent's and across the higher education sector.
Help with your studies
Help with your studies
We believe in student-centred learning.
This means that we think what you, as the student, do is more important than what we, as teachers, do. We will support you to make your own decisions about your education, rather than telling you what to do.
We aim to treat you as an individual, to be ready to answer your questions, and to respect and welcome your contributions. Many of the classes are interactive, where the teachers will encourage you to share your ideas with others, work in groups and be a part of a community of learners.
You will find that your teachers are not only experts in their subjects and professions, but also keen to improve their teaching through acting on the feedback that you give them.
When you begin your studies at Regent’s, you will be assigned a Personal Tutor, who will be you point of contact throughout your studies. We offer extensive help in study skills, to help you reach your full potential. And to help you integrate into university life and the Regent’s community, you’ll take Global Perspectives, our innovative cross-faculty module.
Our Personal Tutor Scheme
Your Personal Tutor is there to support you throughout your degree programme.
In the UK the term ‘personal tutor’ does not mean someone who gives you one-to-one tuition on a specific subject. Instead, they are there to help and guide you through the decisions you make in your studies. You will meet them early in your time with us, and they will provide you with a consistent relationship throughout your academic career at Regent’s.
What your tutor can do for you:
- Guide you on academic matters
- Support you in your personal and career development
- Help you to recognise your achievements and to form and achieve goals
- Advise you on the resources and services best suited to your needs
- Identify specific workshops or activities to help you improve your academic performance or develop your career plan.
Who and when:
- Your tutor will invite you to at least one individual meeting per term, to catch up with your progress and hear how you are doing
- You can always request additional meetings with your tutor, at any point during your degree. If you need more help, your tutor can also refer you to appropriate services at the University.
Support in your study skills
The Academic Skills service supports all Regent’s students to achieve their academic potential in their studies and beyond.
We offer a range of flexible services to ensure that our students have the support they need, when they need it. Our experienced Academic Skills tutors can help you to enhance your academic writing or any other skill you feel you need to develop, including general study skills, research skills, critical thinking and dissertation writing.
- One-to-one bookable tutorials
- Drop-in tutorials
- Workshops throughout the term:
- General study skills
- Advanced reading
- Critical thinking skills
- A comprehensive series of academic writing workshops
Regent’s offers Academic Skills workshops to support your learning. Workshops take place throughout the term and can be booked easily through the Academic Skills area on Blackboard.
We also offer one-to-one tutorials (45 minutes) throughout the year during which we can help you with any aspect of your academic work in areas such as those mentioned above. Tutorials can be booked via the Student Hub or by emailing [email protected]
Not all academic skills questions require a 45-minute appointment. In these instances, drop-in sessions at the Library and the Writing Café are available. If you'd like some quick feedback on an assignment or have a question about anything relating to academic skills, please drop by and see us.