Christopher is a part-time Lecturer in Business & Management, whose main areas of interest are family enterprise and entrepreneurship.
Outside his academic endeavours, Christopher is a Freeman of the Worshipful Company of Glovers (a livery company established by London-based glovemakers in the 14th century); a title he was awarded in 2019. He is now looking forward to receiving the Freedom of the City of London in September 2019, before being welcomed as a Liveryman of the Company in November.
- BSc Behavioural Science, University of Aston M.Phil (CNAA ). Dissertation: The impact of individulal rights legislation on management behaviuor in small family business
Relevant Past Employment
- Non-executive Director Raynor Foods Ltd
- Group Board of Family Business based in Jordan
- Advisor and consultant to family businesses in many parts of the world, including Singapore Hong Kong, Laos, Thailand, USA and Europe
- Head of Centre for Business Transformation Research and Consultancy Centre, Anglia Ruskin University
- O'Leary Simon and Swaffin-Smith, Christopher, Walking the tightrope between family and business the owner manager transition towards a sibling partnership, Regent's Working Papers 2019; Working Paper 1902
- Entrepreneurial Transitions in the Family Business Organic Model Governance and Succession with Professor Simon O'Leary and Reecca Fakoussa,Transitional Press. September 2017
- Organic Model to Reflect the Transitional nature of family firms with Simon O' Leary, Marketing Review, November 2016
- An Appraisal of Family Enterprise Advisors in enhancing both group performance and individual family members employability profiles, BAM Working Papers, July 2014
- 'So what is different about TQM?', Euro Asia Journal, December 2003 with R Barnes
- Culture Surveys Monitoring and Enhancing the impact of change programmes, TQM April 2002 with Barnes R and Brummel M
- Patterns of Managerial Influence Shotgun Managers Tacticians and Bystanders, November 1984
- Organisational Dynamics, November 1984 with Kipnis D Schmidt S and Wilkinson
- Family Enterpises, specifically how the overlap between family and business impacts on the sustainabilty of the business
- The role of the non-executive director in supporting sustainability
- A number of Masters degrees dissertations focusing on family business issues
- Honorary Fellow of the Society of Podiatrists and Chiropodists; awarded for working with private practitioners to help them develop their practices as a business. Worked with over 250 nationwide over a five-year period.
- Judge at the International Family Business University Case Study Competition, University of Vemont, 2017
- Friend of STEP (Society of Trust and Estate Planning)
- Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts
- Freeman of the Worshipful Company of Glovers of London
- Member of British Association of Management
- Member of Rotary Club of GB and NI
- External Examiner, Lancaster University, on an MSc Progamme in Consultancy and Research
- Many Conference papers in the ares of family enterprise for conferences in the UK and USA
- Many consultancy projects with family businesses worldwide with a focus on succession, corporate governance and business development.
Teaching & Course Development
- Member of the team for the M Ent which was validated this year
- Teaching family business and entrepreneurship on both postgraduate and undergraduate programmes at Regents and the University of Kent