Anna is the Course Leader (Academic) in the DPsych in Counselling Psychology at Regent’s. Her main responsibilities are teaching, supervision, recruitment, tutoring and general organisation of the taught components of the programme. Anna’s main teaching interests are psychodynamic psychotherapy and qualitative research methods, particularly discourse analysis.
In addition to her position at Regent’s University London, Anna has her own private practice. She is also involved in independent clinical and research supervision as well as consultancy work for trainee counselling psychologists. Anna has also examined doctoral theses for other Counselling Psychology programmes.
- Postgraduate Certificate in Higher Education, London Metropolitan University, 2013
- DPsych Counselling Psychology, City University, London, 2009
- Post-MSc Counselling Psychology, City University, London, 2007
- MSc Counselling Psychology, City University, London, 2006
- BSc (Hons) Psychology, Nottingham University, 2002
Relevant Past Employment
- 2016 – 2017: Course Leader (Academic), Regent’s University London
- 2012 – present: Co-director, London Counselling Psychologists
- 2010 – present: Registered Counselling Psychologist in private practice, London
- 2014 – 2016: Senior Lecturer in Counselling Psychology, University of East London
- 2013 – 2016: Research supervisor (Visiting Lecturer), Regent’s University London
- 2013 – 2015: External Examiner, Professional Masters Programme in Counselling and Psychotherapy, Coaching and Mentoring, Bath Spa University
- 2008 - 2014: Senior Lecturer in Counselling Psychology, London Metropolitan University
- 2007 - 2010: Counselling Psychologist, Harley Therapy, London
- Gil-Rodriguez, E., & Butcher, A. (2012). From trainee to trainer: Crossing over to the other side of the fence. British Journal of Guidance and Counselling, 40 (4), 357-368
Conference Papers Given
- July 2017: BPS Division of Counselling Psychology Annual Conference, Stratford upon Avon How do psychologists learn psychodynamic practice? From core conditions to couch. Poster presentation, Dr Anna Butcher and Dr Russel Ayling
- July 2017: BPS Division of Counselling Psychology Annual Conference, Stratford upon Avon ‘So you want to be a (good) examiner’: How to evaluate a CoP doctoral candidate. Workshop given, Dr Elaine Kasket, Dr Russel Ayling and Dr Anna Butcher
- July 2011: BPS Division of Counselling Psychology Conference 2011, Bristol: From trainee to trainer: Crossing over to the other side of the fence. (Who am I and why am I here? Professional identity and Counselling Psychology training symposium) Dr Anna Butcher & Dr Elena Gil-Rodriguez
- June 2008: Joint Conference of the Divisions of Counselling Psychology 2008, Dublin (The Psychological Society of Ireland & The British Psychological Society): ‘For men our pride is closure’: The dissolution of relationships between men and women. A qualitative study. Paper presentation, Anna Butcher & Dr Carla Willig
Anna has supervised nine professional doctorates to completion. She is well experienced in supervision at both Masters and Doctoral level.
Anna has a strong interest in discourse analysis research. Particular areas of research interests include, but are not limited to, men's psychology, relationships and relational practices/behaviours/breakdown between men and women, media representations of relationships between men and women, parenting practices and the psychodynamics of people's use of social networking, particularly the ‘like’ phenomenon and the intrusion of Facebook in the consulting room. Other general interests include transitioning from trainee to trainer in practitioner doctorates, trainer experiences in Counselling Psychology and anything psychoanalytic.
- HCPC Registered Counselling Psychologist
- BPS Chartered Psychologist
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
Teaching & Course Development
Anna is the Joint Interim Head of Programmes for Counselling Psychology at Regent’s. Alongside Dr Russel Ayling, she has overall responsibility for the DPsych in Counselling Psychology. She primarily manages the academic side of the programme.
Anna has been Internal and External Examiner for numerous professional doctorates both at Regent’s and at previous universities where she worked.