Dr Christos Kallandranis received his PhD (full scholarship) in Economics from the University of Patras Greece in 2007. He holds an MSc in Finance & Economics from the Manchester Business School (former UMIST) and a BA in Public Administration (division of economics) from Panteion University of Athens. Christos has considerable teaching, research and consulting experience. He counts ten years of teaching experience in higher education, three years of professional experience and four years experience in EU research-funded programmes.
Currently working as Senior Lecturer in Finance at Regent’s University London in the UK and Academic Coordinator, Visiting Professor at Marconi University in Rome and instructor in finance at the Hellenic Open University. He has also taught in the Department of Economics at University of Patras and at the University of West Attica in Athens. Prior to his current posts he was course leader for the programme of BA & MA in Accounting and Finance at London Metropolitan University, BCA Athens Campus.
- PhD in Economics, University of Patras, Greece, 2007. “Topics on the Dynamics of Capital and Labour Demand: An Empirical Analysis.”
- MSc in Finance and Economics, The University of Manchester, Manchester Business School, 2002
- BSc in Public Administration, Economics Division, Panteion University of Social & Political Sciences, 2000
Relevant Past Employment
- 2013–present: Senior Lecturer in Finance/ Department Research Leader, Regent’s University London
- 2012–present: Visiting Professor, Universita Degli Studi Guglielmo Marconi, Rome, Italy
- 2017–present: Adjunct Lecturer in Finance, Hellenic Open University
- 2016–2018: Visiting Professor in Finance. Department of Economics, University of Patras
- 2016–2018: Visiting Professor in Finance. Department of Business Administration, University of West Attica-Athens Greece
2017–2017: Instructor in Corporate Finance. School of Economics and Business, Open University of Cyprus
- “Corporate Fixed Investment and Internal Liquidity: Evidence from Greek Listed Companies,” with P. Kalantonis and A. Aljandali (2020), Corporate Governance and Sustainability Review, 4(2), 68-76. http://doi.org/10.22495/cgsrv4i2p (ABDC ranked journal)
- “Exchange rate modelling in the development community using the ARDL cointegration approach: The case of emerging markets,” with A. Aljandali (2020), Risk Governance and Control: Financial Markets & Institutions. 10(2), 53- 70. http://doi.org/10.22495/rgcv10i2p5
- “A new perspective in credit rationing for European SMEs,” with P. Kalantonis (2020), in A. Kostyuk, M. J. C. Guedes, & D. Govorun (Eds.), Corporate Governance: Examining Key Challenges and Perspectives (pp. 222-224). Virtus Interpress.
- Determinants of Trust in Institutions: Survey-based evidence from the European Union, with K. Drakos and S. Karydis (2019), Journal of Common Market Studies Vol 57 (6) pp. 1228–1246 (ABS 3*), DOI:10.1111/jcms.12884
- “The interaction of citizen’s trust between European Commission and National Politics during the crisis” C. Kallandranis (single author), Journal of Risk Governance and Control: Financial Markets & Institutions, Vol. 9 (4), pp 8-19, 2019 (ABS 1*)
- “Governance & Regulation: Evidence at Micro and Macro level.” C. Kallandranis, 2019. Journal of Governance and Regulation, Editorial Note: Vol 8, issue 2. (ABS 1*)
- “Executive authorities in Euroland during the financial crisis. A comparison between European Commission and National Governments”, by C. Kallandranis and P. Kaldis peer reviewed conference proceedings titled: “New Challenges in Corporate Governance: Theory and Practice” https://doi.org/10.22495/titled: “New Challenges in Corporate Governance: Theory and Practice” https://doi.org/10.22495/ October 2019
- Economic Outcomes and Voting Behaviour: Evidence from Greece, with E. Goulas and A. Zervogianni. Economic Issues (ABS 1* Keele 2* ERA B), 2019, Vol. 24, Part 1, pp. 35-58
- Non-Linear Response of Firm Investment to q: Evidence from Greek Listed Firms, C. Kallandranis (single author). Journal of Risk Governance and Control: Financial Markets & Institutions (ABS 1*), 2019, 9(1), pp. 53-63. http://doi.org/10.22495/rgcv9i1p5
- Sponsoring Sports Teams with Low Media Exposure: An exploratory Investigation on Small and Medium Sized B2B Firms, with Konstantoulaki K, Rizomyliotis I, Giovanis A, and Conti V. International Journal of Marketing Studies, vol.8 No. 5, 2017
- A Note on Trust in the ECB in the Era of Sovereign Debt Crisis, with K. Drakos and S. Karydis, Applied Economics Letters, May 2017, http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/13504851.2017.1324196. (ABS 1*)
- “Voting with their Feet” in Times of Crisis: The Case of Southern Europe, with S. Karidis. Applied Economics Quarterly: 2016, Vol. 62, No. 4, pp. 321-341. doi: 10.3790/aeq.62.4.321(ABDC: B) (ABS 1*)
- A note on the effect of terrorism on Europeans’ economic sentiment doi:10.1080/10242694.2015.1016295, Feb 2015. Defence & Peace Economics, with Drakos, K. (ABS 2*)
- Assessing the Effect of Sentiment on Fiscally Induced Migration: A Tiebout Hypothesis Approach within EU 27. with S. Karidis. Global Economy Journal, doi: 10.1515/gej-2013-0009, June 2014 (ABDC: B) (ABS 1*)
- Security Economics: A Guide for Data Availability and Needs, first author, with Drakos K. January 2012 EUSECON Policy Briefing 16. CEPR- Center for Economic Policy Research & DIW Berlin
- Counterterrorism Effectiveness: The Impact on Life and Property Losses, first author, with Drakos K, and Giannakopoulos N. April 2012 EUSECON Policy Briefing 19. CEPR- Center for Economic Policy Research & DIW Berlin
- Terrorism shocks & stock market reaction patterns, first author, with Drakos K. December 2011 EUSECON Policy Briefing 14. CEPR- Center for Economic Policy Research & DIW Berlin
- State-Dependent Response of Investment to Cash Flow: Evidence for Asymmetry in European Manufacturing, with Drakos K., Applied Financial Economics. Vol. 17, issue 14, pp: 1191-1200, 2007. (ABS 2*)
- New vs. Used Capital Investment Decisions under Liquidity Constraints, with Drakos K., and E. Goulas, in Applied Financial Economics Letters, vol.3, No.1, pp:15-18, 2007. (ABS 1*)
- “Financial Considerations in Investment Decisions: A Literature Review”, with Drakos., Briefing Notes in Economics. Issue No. 72 March/April 2007
- Modelling Labour Demand Dynamics: Going Beyond the Frictionless Environment, with Drakos K., Labour: Review of Labour Economics and Industrial Relations, Vol. 20 Issue 4 Page 699-720, 2006. (ABS 1*)
- “Investment under Liquidity Constraints and Uncertainty: Investigating the effects of Irreversibility” with Drakos K., and E. Goulas, 2006, pp.7-16, 56(4), SPOUDAI Journal of Economics & Business.
- “Investment and Cash Flow: Evidence from Greek Listed Companies” with Drakos K. Applied Economics Quarterly, 51/4 (2005). (ABDC: B) (ABS 1*)
- Firm-specific Attributes of Financing Constraints: The Case of Greek Listed Firms, with Drakos K., pp: 98-110, 2/2005, in Journal of Investment Management and Financial Innovations. (ABS 2*)
- A Sectoral-Level Analysis of Performance Persistence in Greek Manufacturing, with Drakos K., Special Edited Volume, 2004 vol. 1, pp: 339-353. University of Piraeus
Other Academic Publications:
- Book Contribution: "Thrice a Stranger, Penelope’s Eastern Mediterranean Odyssey" by Dr William Mallinson, in Cambridge Scholars Publishing, ISBN: 978-1-4438-8518-8. January 2016
- Money and capital markets
- Applied finance
- Applied econometrics
Participation in research projects
- European Commission FP7, “A new agenda for European Security Economics.” Grant Agreement Number 218105
- 01/10/2008 – 31/08/2010: University of Patras
- 01/03/2009 – 29/02/2012: Athens University of Economics and Business
Research in progress
- Euro Elections and Economic Voting
- The Anatomy of Credit Rationing for European SMEs, under submission
- Non-Linear Response of Firm Investment to q: Evidence from Greek Listed Firms, C (under submission)
Supervision of over 200 postgraduate research projects.
- 2004-2007 - Scholar of the Research Committee of the University of Patras. (Ref. Code B406). PhD Thesis “Topics on the Dynamics of Capital and Labour Demand: An Empirical Analysis.” 25.000€
- 2005. Summer School in Panel Data Econometrics. University of Bertinoro-Italy.
- Member of the Greek Economic Chamber
- Member of the Regent’s Centre for Banking & Finance
- Member of the International Network for Economic Research (INFER)
- Editorial Board Member, “Economics, Commerce and Trade Management: An International Journal (ECTIJ).”
- Editorial Board Member for the journal of “International Journal of Economics and Finance (IJEF)” Canadian Center of Education and Science
- Editorial Board Member for the journal of “Journal of Governance and Regulation”
- Reviewer for the journal of “Defence and Peace Economics”
- Reviewer for the journal of “Applied Economics Quarterly”
- Reviewer for the Pearson Higher Education UK
- Fellow of the HEA
Indicative Conferences with Blind Review Process:
- “The Anatomy of Credit Rationing for European SMEs.” Financial Engineering and Banking Society (F.E.B.S.). University of Western Attica, Athens-December 20-21, 2019
- “Executive authorities in Euroland during the financial crisis. A comparison between European Commission and National Governments”, by C. Kallandranis and P. Kaldis; accepted for presentation in the international conference titled: “New Challenges in Corporate Governance: Theory and Practice” October 3-4, 2019 in Naples, Italy
- Keynote Speaker in the Summer School of Entrepreneurship and Digital Innovation during an economic crisis. TEI of Western Greece, Department of Business Administration. Presentation in Credit Rationing Issues for SMEs., June 2018
- International Workshop on Risk Management, Financial Regulation, and Governance in Banking, University of Palermo: Determinants of Trust in Institutions, May 2016
- 1st International Virtual SBRLAB Conference “Finding Solutions for a post-crisis society”, 9-11 December 2015, Spain. Conference proceedings for the paper Economic Outcomes and Voting Behavior: Evidence from Greece
- INFER 2015. University of Bedfordshire. Economic Outcomes and Voting Behavior: Evidence from Greece
- Centre for European Policy Studies (CEPS). "Counterterrorism Effectiveness: The Impact on Life and Property Losses," with Drakos K, and Giannakopoulos N., Brussels February 2012
- University Of Crete 5th Annual Meeting of the EEFS. International Conference May 2006. “State-Dependent Response of Investment to Cash Flow: Evidence for Asymmetry in European Manufacturing”
- HE.W.P.E.M, University of Patras: Hellenic Workshop on Productivity & Efficiency Measurement, Patras 2006. “Investment and Cash Flow under Imperfect Capital Markets.”
- Université d' Orléans- France Conference July 2005. “State-Dependent Response of Investment to Cash Flow: Evidence for Asymmetry in European Manufacturing”.
- 4th Annual Conference of Hellenic Finance and Accounting Association (HFAA), Pireaus, December 2005
- 3rd Annual Conference of Hellenic Finance and Accounting Association (HFAA), Athens, December 2004
- 57th International Atlantic Economic Conference, Lisbon, Portugal March 2004. Kostas Drakos and Christos Kallandranis, “Corporate Dividend Policy of Greek Listed Firms: Sectoral and Temporal Dynamics.”
- World Bank Seminar Series: “Why (Dis) Trust in Institutions Matters: Examples from ECA.” Invited Speaker, World Bank, Washington DC, USA, November 2018
- University of Palermo, May 2016: PhD Programme, seminar on “Demand for Capital under Imperfect Capital Markets: A Review and an Application” (invited speaker)
- ISCTE Business School, Instituto Universitario De Lisboa: Developments in Modern Banking, 2015 (Invited Speaker via Erasmus plus)
- University of Valencia, 2014: undergraduate programme, A Series of lectures in Financial Statement Analysis, (invited speaker via Erasmus Plus)
Other academic experience
- April 2015: Department Research Leader: Regent’s University London
- September 2015: External Examiner in Accounting & Finance undergraduate & postgraduate courses: Staffordshire University, UK.
- October 2015: External Examiner in Accounting & Finance modules: University of Bedfordshire, UK.
Supervision of over 200 postgraduate research projects
Teaching & Course Development
Christos has taught several undergraduate and postgraduate modules in different academic institutions. At undergraduate level: Corporate Finance, Money and Banking, Portfolio Management, Money & Capital Markets, Financial Management,Multinational Finance, Applied Statistics for Business, Global Economics, among various others.
At postgraduate level he has taught modules on: Monetary Policy and Central Bank Operations, Corporate Valuation, International Corporate Finance, Financial Markets & Instruments, Financial Regulation & Corporate Governance, Research Methods, among several others.