Paul is a registered and accredited psychotherapist. He works and supervises mainly in private practice but also for various counselling organisations. He has been a tutor, academic supervisor and personal and professional development facilitator at School of Psychotherapy and Counselling Psychology (SCCP) since 2004, where he also trained and qualified. Paul's previous career was as a musician on a self-employed basis.
- PhD in Psychotherapeutic Studies
- 'Advanced Diploma in Existential Psychotherapy' - Regent's College SPCP 2004
- M.A. in Psychotherapy and Counselling. Regent's College SPCP 2003
- Foundation Course in Psychotherapy and Counselling SPCP 2000
- McGinley., P. ‘Existential Therapy and the Transformative Possibilities of Therapists’ Tears’ (pp115-130) in, Blume-Markovici., A. (ed) (2017) When Therapists Cry: Reflections on Therapists’ Tears in Therapy. New York: Routledge.
- McGinley, P (2011). ‘The Question of the Self in Existential Thought' Journal of the Society for Existential Analysis 22.
- McGinley, P (2008). 'On Crying' 'Journal of the Society for Existential Analysis' 19.2
- McGinley, P (2006). 'The Question of Existential/ Phenomenological Theory' 'Journal of the Society for Existential Analysis' 17.2
- Supervised dissertations to completion and is currently supervising six MA Dissertations on the Psychotherapy and Counselling pathway (Regent's University. SPP)
- Currently undertaking PhD research into the phenomenon of 'Crying' within the psychotherapeutic context'.
- Phenomenological methodology with a particular focus upon what is phenomenological about various psychotherapeutic theories and practices.
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- UKCP Registered
- BACP Accredited
- Chair of the UKCP ‘Constructivist and Existential College’
- Former Chair of the 'Society for Existential Analysis'
- On the ‘Membership Committee’ of the UKCP
- On the ‘Education, Training, and Practice Committee’ of the UKCP
- On the ‘Professional Regulatory Committee of Colleges and Faculties’ committee of the UKCP.
- Chairperson and Respondent – Society for Existential Analysis 22nd Annual Conference: London, 2013
Conference Papers Given
- ‘Is Existential Psychotherapy Ethical?’ Paper presented at the World Congress of Existential Psychotherapy 2015
- ‘Regulation and boundaries’ Talk given at the SEA Conference 2014
- ‘Sexuality and the Creative Act' Key Note Speech for the Conference for the Society for Existential Analysis (November 2010)
- ‘The Question of the Self in Existential Thought' ‘Talk From the Chair' (2010)
- 'On Crying' Society for Existential Analysis 'Talk from the Chair' (2008)
Teaching & Course Development
- Module Leader for both first and second year existential modules (1.2; 2.2) on the MA/PGDip at Regent's
- Course tutor on the Advanced Diploma in Existential Psychotheraphy, where I constantly review and update the input
- Continually involved in developing and updating all academic and practical modules in existential-phenomenological psychotherapy on the MA/Post Graduate Diploma in Psychotherapy and Counselling
Examines internal dissertations at SPP to MA level.