Steve’s role as Associate Dean is to deputise for the Dean as required, and to develop the Faculty by providing hands-on operational leadership both to create a roadmap for the future and realise the benefits of structural changes. Steve works collegiately to promote pan-university endeavours and be an influential and authoritative voice for the University and Faculty externally. His main focus is currently on pedagogic development and improving the student experience which go hand in hand.
Prior to joining Regents, Steve’s background encompassed academia and international business, having spent 11 years with HSBC, first as an international management development executive in 10 countries and latterly a senior HR business partner in the UK. Steve has written three textbooks on his major cognate disciplines of organisational development, human reosurces and knowledge management.
Steve has previously completed spells as an academic at UK University of Bedfordshire, and the University of Chichester.
- PHD Knowledge based working and international business, University of Bradford, 2005
- MBA, Henley Management College, 1989
Relevant Past Employment
University of Chichester, Sept 2010 to Sept 2014.
- Delivery and revalidation of a range of undergraduate/postgraduate modules in HRM/OD
- Achieved CMI accreditation and led subsequent internal/external provision
- Revalidated and subsequently managed delivery of innovative Foundation degree
- Consulted, validated and delivered a PG Cert/Dip/MA in Leadership and Management for local NHS Foundation Trust aimed at senior clinicians and senior nurses
- Created and commenced a company-sponsored Day Release Degree Sept
- Promoted to lead CPD activity across the department 2012, generating over 300k income per annum from a zero base acquiring long-pursued clients through effective consultation and relationship management
- Served on Academic Standards Committee
- Introduced innovative eportfolio working to engage undergraduates
Previous post; Senior HR Business Partner HSBC –UK Operations May 2006-August 2010
- Provided internal consultancy/generalist HR support (specifically reward, performance management, secondments, HR planning, TUPE, ER, disciplinary/grievances, talent management) to 7 board level managers, collectively responsible for over 5,000 FTE in the operations areas of the UK.
Previous post; Senior L+D Delivery Manager HSBC UK, 2003 to April 2006
- Project managing a strategic review of HSBC UK training programmes, prior to significant changes to the UK and Group L+D proposition
- Devising and delivering development support to a portfolio of internal clients incorporating the full internal consultancy cycle from initial contact, ongoing RM and disengagement.
- 360 degree talent assessment using ‘sales pro’ assessments and career development mapping for HSBC Corporate Banking.
- Major coaching development/change programme including facilitated workshops for area commercial managers in the UK and overseas.
- Workplace management projects on flexible working for offices in the UK
- Development and delivery of assessment centres for sales coach team leaders
- Bespoke offsite workshops/facilitation and strategy formulation/development events
- Previous post; Senior Group International Management Development Manager HSBC Group Feb 1999-2003
- Design, delivery and evaluation of MD to support strategic change and OD within the HSBC group, in Hong Kong, Malaysia, Singapore, Dubai, Thailand, Saudi Arabia, Canada, USA, India and Bangladesh.
- Consultancy leading to tailored interventions for leaders and teams on a variety of OD issues including talent management, strategy development, performance management, and influencing skills.
Previous post- Principal Lecturer, Post-Graduate Management Development, Luton Business School (University of Bedfordshire) Jan 1995-Feb 1999
- Co-ordinated the launch of new joint venture; Aylesbury Business School.
- Introduced internationalisation of full and part-time MBA with partner institutions in The Hague.
- Managed and Tutored in HR/OB to MBA and MSc programmes in the UK, and Singapore.
- Chaired examination boards, submitting new programmes for validation, recruiting and managing new staff, preparing/working to budgets.
- Tutor on undergrad/postgrad, and CIPD, recruitment, management and selection of new staff.
- Achieved rapid turnaround of underperforming team.
- Completed first Master of Philosophy awarded by the Faculty of Management.
- Led validation of first undergraduate program in OB/HRM of the Management faculty
- Ellis, S., 2013, Using HRD to support employee engagement in the midst of great change-a public sector case study – published in Journal of Workplace Learning, special edition on engagement.
- Ellis, S., 2011, ‘The 4 ‘C’s of Knowledge Transfer and Knowledge Based Working in ‘Innovation through Knowledge Transfer’, editor R. Howlett, Springer
- Ellis, S., 2006 Knowledge Based Working, intelligent operating for the knowledge age, Chandos
- Ellis, S. and Dick, P. 2005 Introduction to Organisational Behaviour, McGraw Hill, editions 1-3
- Ellis, S., and Stredwick , J., 2004 Flexible Working, editions 1-2, CIPD
Conference Papers Given
- ‘Using HRD to support employee engagement during times of great change – a public sector case study’. UFHRD Conference, Brighton June 2013
- (With C. Haines)‘Great e-expectations, using eportfolios to assess and engage undergraduates, challenges and opportunities. ABS/HEA Conference, Innovation in difficult times, Manchester, May 2012.
- (With Dr D. Robins) Practicalities of KTP, propping up or a catalyst for change? University of Chichester Research and Scholarship Conference, July 2011
- Knowledge transfer in an established business cluster, practical challenges. Innovation through Knowledge Transfer Challenges, Sheffield Hallam University, July 2011
- Emerging themes in successful knowledge transfer partnerships, lessons from a maritime cluster meeting. Second International Conference on Innovation through Knowledge Transfer, University of Wolverhampton, December 2010
- Keynote speech; When 2 worlds collide, the marriage of Knowledge management and operational excellence. KM Asia annual conference, Singapore November 2008
- Keynote speech; Moving from KM to operational excellence the HSBC experience. KM Australia annual conference 2005, Sydney July 13/15 July
Second supervisor to PHD student studying the impact of cross cultural working in social care.
External examiner for MA level programmes at University of Greenwich.
Knowledge management, management of education and HEIs.
- Principal Fellow of the Higher Educational Academy
- Henley MBA and a PHD from the University of Bradford.
- Chartered manager with the CMI.
- PRINCE2 qualified project manager
- Licenced to use MBTI and TMS psychometric instruments to help develop individuals and teams.
Teaching & Course Development
Steve has taught at all levels since joining Regent’s, and his areas of specialism include: management, human resources and organisational development. He recently led the re-validation of the full BAM Undergraduate suite.
External examiner for MA level programmes at University of Greenwich.