Dr Youlan Yu has more than 25 years experiences in teaching Chinese as a foreign language in universities in Beijing of China and in the UK. She joined Regent's University in 2003, she has been teaching Chinese for business from completely beginner to advanced levels since then. Her teaching speciality is teaching Chinese grammar and speaking skill effectively as well as Chinese culture within Chinese language. Her research interests include how the knowledge of English grammar would affect the learning of Chinese grammar. Her publications are in the field of teaching Chinese as a foreign language including some Chinese textbooks for learning Chinese as a foreign language.
- PhD, Languages in Education. Institute of Education, University of London, 1999
- BA Honours (equivalent): Chinese Language & Literature, Beijing Normal University, China 1983
Relevant Past Employment
- 2003- now Lecturer in Chinese at EBSL and Regent's University
- 1999 - 2014 Chinese teacher, London School of Economics
- 1999- 2010 Chinese teacher, Chinese Coordinating Teacher-Chinese Language, London School of Economics
- 1998-2009 Part-time lecturer- Chinese Coordinator-Chinese Language, London Guildhall/Metropolitan University
- 1999-2000 Instructor in Chinese Language, School of East-Asian Studies, University of Sheffield
- 1990-91 Visiting Lecturer, Chinese Languages, SOAS, University of London
- 1983-90 Lector and lecturer, Chinese Language, Foreign students Department, Beijing Normal University, PR China
- The Chinese Textbook Review. News of Chinese Teaching in the world. Volume 5 2011
- Markedness and Chinese Particle ‘le’. The Seventh International Symposium on Teaching Chinese as a Foreign Language (2004, Shanghai)
- Methods of Teaching Chinese in universities of UK and Learning of Chinese Function Word ‘le’”. Studies on Teaching Chinese to English-Speaking learners of Chinese. People’s Education Publishing House 2002
- Learn Chinese (et al) Yuwen Publishing House,1993.
- Intermediate Level Chinese: Look, Listen Speak, Beijing Normal University Press, 1992.
Conference Papers Given
- Giving learners the power to speak Chinese -- The 12th BCLTS International Symposium on Learning Chinese as a Foreign Language in Higher Education. Preston, UK. Regent's University. July 2014
- How to support students for SPA. -- The 10th BCLTS International Symposium on Learning Chinese as a Foreign Language in Higher Education. Preston, UK. July 2012
- How can modern technologies affect learning and teaching Chinese writing in learning Chinese as a foreign language: a case study. – The 9th BCLTS International Symposium on Learning Chinese as a Foreign Language in Higher Education. Edinburgh, UK June 2011
- Speech Patterns and teaching speech patterns in universities in UK (BCTLS Seminar April 2007)
Project title: Improving reading and writing skills in Chinese in Moodle, LSE; £1500 -- by the Centre for Learning Technology, LSE
- The British Chinese Language Teaching Society (BCLTS) since 1998
- International Association of Teaching Chinese as a Foreign Language, a life-long member
A judge for UKAPCE Mandarin Reading Competition since 2009 and a consultancy since 2015.
Teaching & Course Development
- Have been teaching Chinese in higher education for various purposes and for all levels
- Wrote all Chinese programmes for certificate course (Level 1 to 5) for the Language Centre, LSE from 1999 to 2010
- Set Chinese exams for BAIB and BAEM programme
- An external examiner for Chinese in BA (Hons) Languages Programmes in Manchester Metropolitan University
- An examiner for Pearson since 2012