Esther Lecumberri joined Regent's University London in 1992. Since then, she has been teaching Spanish for Business and general purposes at all levels, from beginners to final year students, both as a Visiting Lecturer and Part-Time Lecturer. Before coming to the UK she worked as Visiting Lecturer of Spanish at Rutgers University in the USA while she was studying for her Master.
Her research interests include the use of short films and the impact and use of mobile devices in language learning and teaching. She is also very interested in Spanish and Latin-American Area Studies.
She also works for the Chartered Institute of Linguists providing her services as n Spanish external examiner and assessor to the Foreign Commonwealth Office (FCO) and to the UK Ministry of Defence (MoD). She is also an examiner for the Spanish Chamber of Commerce.
- MA in Spanish Studies, Rutgers University, USA
- BA with Honours in Philology, University of Salamanca, Spain
- Teaching Certificate (CAP), University of Salamanca, Spain
- Diploma in Translation from English into Spanish, Institute of Linguists. London
Relevant Past Employment
- 1992 - current, Spanish Lecturer, Regent's University London
- 2016 - current, External Examiner and Assessor for the Chartered Institute of Linguists providing services for the FCO and MoD
- 2002 - 2016, External Examiner for the Foreign and Commonwealth Office
- 1991 - 1995, Spanish Language Consultant for Usborne Publishing, London
- 1990 - 1992, Spanish Lecturer, University of North London, London
- 1990 - 1991, Spanish tutor, Instituto de España (current Cervantes Institute)
- 1990 - 1991, Business Spanish Tutor, North East Surrey College of Technology, London
- 1986 - 1990, Spanish Lecturer, Rutgers University, New Jersey (USA)
- 1989 - 1990, Business Spanish Tutor for National Starch and Brother International Corporation, New Jersey (USA)
- Lecumberri, E. (2018). "Mobile phones in my language class: a cause for concern or a source of communication" in A. Slimani-Rolls and R Kiely (Eds), Exploratory Practice for Continuing Professional Development. Basingstoke, UK: Palgrave Macmillam
- Lecumberri, E. & Suárez, T. (2013). Simulación Global en el contexto de una clase de lengua y contenido, in Marcol ELE, n16, p 66-746
- Language consultant (1991-1996). The Usborne Book of Everyday Words in Spanish, La Isla Fantástica and The Usborne First Thousand Words in Spanish
- Lecumberri, E. (1991). Breviario de amor de un halterófilo de Fernando Arrabal. Estreno: Cuadernos de Teatro Español Contemporáneo, 2: p 2-3
- Lecumberri, E. (1990). La fundación de Buero Vallejo en Nueva Nueva York. Estreno: Cuadernos de Teatro Español Contemporáneo, I: p 2-3
- Lecumberri, E. (1988). Siete miradas en un mismo paisaje de Esther Tusquet. ¿Una novela o siete cuentos? Hispanic Short Story. Monographic Review IV
Conference Papers Given
- 2019 Student-generated digital content: the use of posters for scaffolding. Poster presentation. E-Learning Symposium. Southampton University, Southampton, 25 January 2
- 2018 “Mobile phones in my language classroom: a cause for concern or a source of communication? (A case study based on EP). Poster Presentation. King’s College, London
- 2016 “Integrating teaching and research: An Exploratory Practice (EP) example on the impact of mobile phones in Spanish lessons” VI ELE-UK Encuentro, University of Reading, UK
- 2016, “Short films and Language Teaching and Learning” in A multimodal approach for the use of films and moving image media for teaching. Regent’s University London
- 2015, Poster Presentation: “Why do students use their mobile phones in class in detriment of the negative impact it may have on their learning?” part of Empowering Learning and Teaching in the Classroom. Regent’s University London
- 2012, “Simulación Global en el contexto de una clase de lengua y contenido” (in collaboration with T. Suárez) II Encuentro ELE-UK, Westminster University, London
- 2011, “Practicas de colaboración y comunicación mediada por ordenador “ I Encuentro ELE-UK, Regent’s University London
Esther has supervised a number of undergraduate dissertations in areas of business and management.
Esther has been involved in studying the role of mobile phones in language teaching and learning and is currently exploring their use as collaborative pedagogical tools for target language following her interest in digital literacies and the impact of technology on language learning and teaching.
She is also exploring the use of short-films as multimodal pedagogical tools for language teaching and learning and is very interested in Spanish and Latin American Area Studies.
Awarded funding from the Learning, Teaching and Research Committee at EBSL/Regent's University London for collaborative projects:
- 2014 - 2016, Co-researcher of "Developing Language Teacher Research", a two-year collaborative research project for RILC staff guided by Dr Assia Rolls
- 2004 - 2005, "Development of a research culture through the promotion of a better use of the Language Resources Centre (LRC)", A. Rolls, V. Alfaro-Plaza, J Collins, E Lecumberri and M Rawson
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (FHEA)
- Member of ELE-UK, an Association of Spanish Teachers of Spanish in UK Higher Education
- Member of the Films in Language Teaching Association (FILTA)
- Member of the European Association for Language Testing and Assessment (EALTA)
Teaching & Course Development
- Teaching Spanish from beginners to advanced students for business and general purposes
- Teaching, development of syllabus and design of materials for Spanish Level 6 (LSP6A1) Spanish Stage 4 (SLP5A4) and Spanish Stage 5 (SLP5A5) and Connect Grade 5.
- Module Leader for Spanish Stage 4(SLP5A4) , Stage 5 (SLP5A5) , Level 6 (LSP6A1) and Connect Grade 5
- Contribution to the development of the curriculum for the new Spanish undergraduate modules
- Teaching Global Perspectives
Esther has ample examining experience at UG level:
- She is charge of setting and marking of the exams of the modules she teaches.
- She is also a member of the panel for the Spanish Final Oral Presentation for Level 6 students.
- She currently holds the position of External Examiner at Keele University.
She has designed, vetted and marked exams for the Business Spanish Qualifications by the Spanish Chamber of Commerce in Great Britain.
She has designed and vetted written exams as well as conducted oral exams for the Foreign & Commonwealth Office (FCO). She is currently an external examiner and assessor for the Chartered Institute of Linguists in London conducting and marking oral and written exams and assessments for the FCO and Ministry of Defence.