Mike Harding is an existential psychotherapist and Training Supervisor in private practice and a former Chair of the Society for Existential Analysis. He has been teaching at Regent's for over 20 years Drawing mainly on the work of Heidegger and Wittgenstein, his interests include the experience of time and the influence of language on our sense of self. He is particularly interested in possible links between philosophy, psychoanalysis and the wisdom traditions of older cultures, and has written extensively on the practice and philosophy of astrology.
- ADEP, awarded by RSPP, Regent's University London, 1995
Relevant Past Employment
- 1976-1982 Staff Member, Tottenham Mews Psychiatric Day Hospital
- Harding, M (2015) Cosmos, Chaosmos and Astrology, book review in Correlation, Vol. 30(1)
- Harding, M (2015) A Review of the Reviewer Reviewing the Film Hannah Arendt in The Journal of the Society for Existential Analysis, Vol 26.2
- Harding, M (2014) Science and Psychic Phenomena, book review in in Correlation, Vol. 29(2) 2014
- Harding, M (2012) The Archetypal Cosmos, book review in Correlation Vol. 28(1)
- Harding, M. (2009) James Joyce's Concept of the Underthought, in the Journal of the Society for Existential Analysis Vol 19.1, -a paper given at the SEA Conference 2008
- Harding, M. (2005) Chapter on Language in Existential Perspectives on Human Issues. Eds. Emmy van Deurzen and Claire Arnold-Baker. Palgrave,
- Harding, M. (2004). Where is the Past now that I really need it? The Newsletter of the Psychotherapy Section of the British Psychological Society, No. 35.
- Harding, M. (2004). Astrology as a Language Game, in Astrology and the Academy, Cinnbar Books, Bristol,
- Harding, M. (2003) Using Language, in the Journal of the Society for Existential Analysis, Vol 10.1 (Reprinted in Further Challenges, London, published by SEA)
- Harding, M. (2003) Experiencing Language: Contrast between Lacan and Heidegger in the Journal of the Society forExistential Analysis, Vol 6.2 (Re-printed in Further Challenges, London, published by SEA)
- MA in Psychotherapy & Counselling
Main areas of interest/expertise include: theories of language, identity and time, with particular reference to Continental philosophy and the work of Wittgenstein, and the overlap between Western existential philosophy, psycho-analysis and the Wisdom Traditions. Currently completing a book introducing language theory to the general reader.
- Cover photographs for the Newsletter of the SEA
- Registered with the UKCP as an Existential Psychotherapist and Training Supervisor.
- Member of the International Federation of Dasiensanalysis.
- Currently Registration Officer of the Society for Existential Analysis.
- Member of SPP’s Professional Standards Committee
Conference Papers Given
- The Technology of Time, The Society for Existential Annual Conference, London, 2011
Teaching & Course Development
Lecturer on the existential modules of the MA in Psychotherapy and Counselling, clinical supervisor and lecturer on the Advanced Diploma in Existential Psychotherapy; on-going development of the Regent's School of Psychotherapy & Psychology's Foundation Course in the Fundamentals of Psychotherapy & Counselling. Currently developing a new Philosophy module for the University's Advanced Diploma of Existential Psychology programme.