Following a first degree in Fine Arts, Nishah began training in psychotherapy in 1994, first with Regent’s College School of Psychotherapy and Counselling, and then at the Whittington Hospital qualifying as an integrative psychotherapist embracing Humanistic and Psychodynamic approaches. This was followed by post-graduate and advanced diploma qualifications, and she has been accredited with UKCP and UKAHPP since 1998.
Clinical work extends over 20 years, both in NHS and related contexts (Whittington Hospital, Winchester Alliance for Mental Health, Tower Hamlets PCT) and in private practice. Nishah began her psychotherapy teaching career as a visiting lecturer at the then Regent’s College School of Psychotherapy in 2000, extending to her present-day involvement as Director of Content for the Regent’s University MA programme in psychotherapy.
- Story Stem Assessment Profiling - SSAP - Anna Freud Centre (2009)
- Cert. Ed. Canterbury Christ Church University (2007)
- City & Guilds Teacher Training stage 2 (2006)
- City & Guilds Teacher Training stage 1 (2004)
- Advanced Diploma Humanistic & Integrative Psychotherapy, Whittington Hospital and Middlesex University (1999)
- Certificate in Creative Group Work, Centre for Personal & Professional Development (1999)
- Postgraduate Diploma Humanistic & Integrative Psychotherapy, Whittington Hospital and South Bank University (1998)
- Foundation in Psychotherapy & Counselling, Regent’s College School of Psychotherapy and Counselling (1995)
Relevant Past Employment
- 2019-2020: Lecturer and MA Course Leader, Regent’s University, Psychotherapy & Counselling.
- 2000-2019: Visiting Lecturer, Foundation/Certificate Module Leader, Psychotherapy & Counselling.
- 2003-2008: Lecturer, Lambeth College, Psychotherapy & Counselling.
- 2000-2003: Public Health Advisor, Tower Hamlets NHS and PCT.
- 1995-2000: Professional Debrief Facilitator and Trainer, QUIT Charity, London.
- 1998-1999: Freelance Psychotherapist, Winchester Alliance for Mental Health.
- 1997-2000: Information and Service Support, National Eczema Society.
- (1998). ‘Family Therapy': Exchange – Quarterly Journal of National Eczema Society. Issue No. 90.
Currently exploring the overlaps between neuroscience and psychotherapy, and implications for effective delivery of counselling and psychotherapy services.
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- Full member of the United Kingdom Council for Psychotherapy (UKCP)
- Full member of the UK Association for Humanistic Psychology Practitioners (UKAHPP)
- Panel Member of the Regents University Professional Standards Committee
- Affiliate Partner of the Entrepreneur’s Institute
- Member of B1G1 Business for Good
Nishah is both a psychotherapist and entrepreneur. She developed her own mindfulness and meditation App called ReConnect, has worked with tech entrepreneurs on the development of Hololens as a therapeutic tool, and set up StudentHack for psychotherapy students. She is also an experienced meditation teacher and has an interest in psychospiritual issues including the practice of Buddhist phenomenology and archetypal processing.
Conference Papers Given
- (2008). ‘The Power of Intuition': a paper written for a Social Workers Convention and talk given at the Brahma Kumaris Centre, Oxford.
Teaching & Course Development
- Module Leader of three Foundation Certificate Courses
- Module Leader of the Humanistic and Integrative Module
- MA Course Leadership
- MA Director of Content
- Post CertEd, attained FHEA status
- Moved from Lecturer to Senior Lecturer to Associate Professor
- External Examiner for South Thames College (2003)