Philip Grey teaches both traditional film-based and digital photography.
He graduated in 1984 with a degree in Film and Photographic Arts from The Polytechnic Of Central London (University of Westminster).
Prior to this he was already an established freelance photographer of the late '70's post-punk music scene for New Musical Express, The Face, Time Out, and New Music News. Over the years he produced publicity images for Adam and the Ants, the 2-Tone label, The Raincoats, and Mikey Dread.
In the 80s Grey shifted to performance and dance photography, working with Janet Smith and Dancers, Arc, Rosemary Lee, and London Contemporary Dance Co.
In 1994 Grey was a finalist in The Kobal Portrait Photography Awards, and his work has been shown at the National Portrait Gallery, London; Watershed, Bristol and The Royal Photographic Society, Bath. In 2010 he exhibited his Writer's Desks project at Freeword in Clerkenwell.
His work has appeared in a number of publications, most notablyArtWork: Seeing Inside the Creative Process;How I Write: The Secret Lives Of Authors; Fred Baier: Furniture In Studio and Multiply Handicapped Children.
Prior to being appointed Head of Photography at Regent's American College London, he taught at London Guildhall University.
- PGCE (Post Compulsory), Institute of Education, London, 2011
- BA(Hons), Film and Photographic Arts, Polytechnic of Central London, London, 1984
Relevant Past Employment
- 1986 – 1996: Part-time lecturer in Photography for BA courses – Communications and Media Technology, London Guildhall University, London
- 1981 – 2008 General Manager, The Screen on the Hill cinema, Mainline Pictures, London
- Vartanian, I. (2011) Artwork: Seeing Inside the Creative Process. San Francisco: Chronicle Books.
- Crowe, D (edited) (2007). How I Write: The Secret Lives Of Authors. New York: Rizzoli International Publications.
- Various (2006) The Roundhouse: A Chronology. London: Roundhouse Publications.
- Duncan Petrie (edited) (1996) Inside Stories: Dairies of British Film-makers at Work.. London: B.F.I . Publications
Self-generated photographic projects. Currently working on a 3D collection and a pictorial examination of the way different cultures dress for worship.
- 2014. Punk!: RockArchive Olympus Gallery, London.
- 2013. Untitled: The Writer's Desk: Ludlow Arts Centre, Ludlow.
- 2011. British Rock: Under the Bridge, London.
- 2010. Untitled: The Writer's Desk: Freeword, London.
- 2008. Dance!: City Hall, London.
- 2005. Music To My Eyes: The Corridor, London.
- 2004. Music To My Eyes: The Curzon, London.
- 1985. Medusa: The Watershed, Bristol.
Working as free-lance photographer continues to have work reproduced widely.
Teaching & Course Development
- Module leader on Photo One and Digital Photography in the Webster BA programme.
- Developed Photojournalism and Newspaper Production Workshop modules.
- Currently developing a Topics module Studio Photography and Lighting.
- Involved in the Curriculum Development of LSFMP Creative Industries and Screenwriting and Producing degrees