Victoria Alfaro joined Regent’s University London in 1992. She is a lecturer of Spanish with extensive experience in teaching Spanish as a foreign language at undergraduate level as well as specialised Spanish for Business Courses. Victoria started her teaching career as a language lecturer at Guildhall University in London and has also done translations for the City and Guilds Institution in London.
Victoria has a M.A. in Modern Languages in Education and is a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (FHEA). She has taken part in all the processes of Regent’s University London development until now.
Victoria has also conducted research on individual learner differences and autonomous learning.
- Cert. Empresas Españolas, Esade, Instituto Cervantes, 2000
- Cert. EBS Certificate in Learning and Teaching in Higher Education, 1999
- M.A. Modern Languages in Education, Institute of Education, University of London, 1999
- Cert. Teaching Training of Foreign Languages. International House, 1994
- PG Dip. Modern Languages (English/German) Santiago de Compostela University, Spain, 1988
- Dip. Lengua Española e Idiomas Modernos Maria Sedes Sapientiae, Vigo, Spain, 1985
- PGCHE in progress, finishing in Summer 2020
Relevant Past Employment
- 1992 – current, Lecturer in Spanish for Business at different levels. E B S London Regent's University London
- 1990 - 1992, Lecturer in Spanish. Guildhall University
- 1990 - 1992, Translator in Spanish. City and Guilds Institution
- 1990 - 1992, Spanish Part-time Lecturer. Paddington College
- (1999). “An Overview of Individual Learner Differences and Teacher Strategies” University of London, MA Thesis.
- Language acquisition
- Factors that influence learning
- Autonomous learning
- Cultural issues influencing learning.
- E-Learning and digital tools for foreign language learning
- Learning strategies
- Engagement in Foreign Language Learning via CMC (Computer Mediated Communication)
Awarded funding from the Teaching, Learning and Research Committee (TLRC) at EBSL/Regent’s University London for collaborative projects:
- 2004, “The Language Portfolio: a valuable tool to foster autonomous learning”, O. Soler and V. Alfaro
- 2004-2005, “Development of a research culture through the promotion of a better use of Language Resource Centre (LRC)”, A. Rolls, J. Collins, E. Lecumberri, M. Rawson and V. Alfaro
Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (FHEA).
Teaching & Development
- Lecturer teaching Spanish for Business at undergraduate level; stages 2, 3 and 4
- Participating in module development as part of the Spanish team
- Victoria has examined undergraduate, internal students