William Warren has worked in design for over 20 years. In this time he has developed educational toys, children’s books, play areas, school furniture and interiors, retail production furniture and products, as well as large-scale sculptural centrepieces for cities. His approach is to try and improve the overall emotional experience of the user. His designs ask users to think about their surroundings and belongings, and are often sculptural and humorous in their conceptual twist. He likes to make his work fit neatly into multiple productions to try and reach as many people as possible.
- Masters degree in Design and Silversmithing. Royal College of Art (1995-97)
- Bachelor of Design. First class honours. Liverpool Institute of Higher Education (1992-95)
Relevant Past Employment
William has taught design for the last twenty-five years at numerous universities, at undergraduate and postgraduate level. Throughout this period he has also run his own design practice, working in a number of fields.
- Williams, G. (2006). The furniture machine. London: V&A Publications.
- Sorrell, J. and Sorrell, F. (2005). Joined up design for schools. London: Merrell.
- Levi, P. (1998). New British design. London: Beazley.
- Worshipful Company of Goldsmiths. (1999). The art & evolution of cutlery. [London: Goldsmiths' Company.
- Fraser, M. (2003). Design UK. London: Conran Octopus.
- Gaventa, S. (2006). Concrete design. London: Mitchell Beazley.
- Fuad-Luke, A. (2009). The eco-design handbook. London: Thames & Hudson.
- Parsons, T. and Parsons, T. (2009). Thinking: Objects. Lausanne: Ava.
- Designer of the Year. Shortlisted, Homes and Gardens, 2011
- Talente Young European furniture designer of the year, 2001
- Bankers Trust Pyramid Award for Business, 1997
- Gift of the Year. Shortlisted. 1999
- Royal Liver Assurance Special Achievement Award, 1995
- A Grand Design, Victoria and Albert Museum, 1999
- An Industry of One, Crafts Council, London, 2001
- ‘Home Sweet Home’, British Council (touring), 2001
- Solo show, Art tm. Inverness, 2001
- Solo show, Trico Gallery. Tokyo, 2001+2007
- 100% Design, Earls Court. London, 1999- 2006
- Everything but, British Council. Asia. (touring),2004
- Them Indoors, Geffrye Museum, 2005
- Joinedupdesign, V + A. London, 2005
- Milan Furniture Fair, April 2007, 2008, 2010, 2015
- Designers Block, London, 2008-14
- Design Junction, London, 2012+14
Teaching & Course Development
- Goldsmiths College, Visiting Lecturer in Design
- Buckinghamshire Chilterns, Visiting Lecturer in Furniture
- Central Saint Martins, Visiting Lecturer in Drawing
- Kingston University, Visiting Lecturer in Design
- Camberwell College of Art, Visiting Lecturer in Design
- London Metropolitan University, Senior Lecturer in Furniture