Dr Anabel Gutierrez
Principal Lecturer in Digital Marketing & Innovation
LinkedIn: View LinkedIn Profile
Subject(s): Business & Management
Dr Anabel Gutierrez is a Principal Lecturer in Digital Marketing and Innovation at Regent’s University London. She has over 25 years of academic experience which she has balanced with industrial practice gained from consultancy work in IT projects for both private and public sectors.
From 1994 to 2004, she was a lecturer at the Tecnologico de Monterrey in Mexico City where she held several positions leading IT executive training and during the last 5 years acting as Programme Director. From 2004 to 2009, she conducted Business and IT Alignment research at Brunel University where she had an active collaboration with the Centre for Information Systems Research (CISR) team.
In 2009, she joined Regent's University London, leading various modules such as Emerging Technologies for Business, Digital Marketing, Project Management and Research Methods.
Dr Gutierrez also has experience in curriculum development and led the MSc Digital Marketing and Analytics development in 2014. Her research interest areas are in the innovation and adoption of emerging technologies for the digital economy, with particular interest on data privacy concerns, the use of data to understand consumer behaviour and how to improve data-driven decision making.
She has published several articles in international peer-reviewed journals and conferences as well as acting as a reviewer since 2006. Currently, she is a SAS Academy Coordinator at Regent’s, a leading research collaborations and an active member of the SAS UK & Ireland Academic Advisory Board.
- PhD, Information Systems, Brunel University, UK (2009)
- MSc, Information Management, Tecnologico de Monterrey-ITESM, Mexico (1996)
- BSc, Information Systems, Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico-UNAM, Mexico (1991)
Relevant Past Employment
- 2014 – Present: Principal Lecturer in Digital Marketing and Innovation. Faculty of Business and Management, Regent’s University London, UK.
- 2014 – Present: Member of the SAS UK & Ireland Academic Advisory Board, London, UK.
- 2014 – 2016: Deputy Head of Department. Faculty of Business and Management, Regent’s University London, UK.
- 2012 – 2014: Senior Lecturer in Information Systems. Faculty of Business and Management, Regent’s University London, UK.
- 2013: Internal panel member (non-specialist) for the School of Fashion and Design Revalidation Process.
- 2012: Collaborated in the Competitive Business Intelligence Major design and its implementation for the BA International Business. Designed the modules Emerging Technologies for Business using SAS Enterprise Guide software.
- 2012: Collaborated with the BA International Events Management revalidation team, including the validation panels, and contributed to the design of the Project Management and IT skills module.
- 2010: Collaborated with the MBA International Business revalidation team, including the validation panels, and contributed to the design of the Information and e-Business Systems and Business Project modules.
- 2009 – 2012: Lecturer in Information Systems. Faculty of Business and Management, Regent’s University London, UK.
- 2005 – 2007: Graduate Teaching Assistant. School of Information Systems, Computing and Mathematics. Brunel University, UK.
- 1999 – 2004: Programme Director. School of Engineering. Tecnológico de Monterrey-ITESM (University). Mexico City, Mexico
- 1997 – 1998: Course Manager and Lecturer for Executive Training. School of Engineering. Tecnologico de Monterrey-ITESM (University). Mexico City, Mexico
- 1994 – 2004: Lecturer in Information Systems. School of Engineering. Tecnologico de Monterrey-ITESM (University). Mexico City, Mexico
- 1991 – 1993: Visiting lecturer in Information Systems. School of Engineering. Tecnologico de Monterrey-ITESM (University). Mexico City, Mexico
- 1986 – 1990: Computer Teacher. La Salle (Primary and High School). Mexico City, Mexico
- 1997 – 2000: Consultancy Services and Project Manager. Tecnologico de Monterrey-ITESM (University). Mexico City, Mexico.
- 1993 – 1994: Systems Analyst and Developer. Escuela Bancaria Commercial (Accounting and Economics University). Mexico City, Mexico.
- 1991 – 1992: Systems Analyst and Developer. IBM Servicios Corporativos de Información (IBM unit). Mexico City, Mexico.
- 1990 – 1991: Systems Programmer. Tecnología Orientada a Resultados (IT company). Mexico City, Mexico.
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy FHEA (2016)
- PRINCE2 Registered Practitioner. APMG-International (2012). License 02618614-01-7NY7
Teaching & Course Development
- 2013 – Present: MSc Digital Marketing and Analytics Development Leader. Faculty of Business and Management, Regent’s University London, UK. Co-leading the overall development and validation process, and contributed to the design of three modules: Emerging Digital and IT trends for Marketing, Digital Marketing Research and Digital Marketing Data Analysis.
- Designed the SAS Joint Certificate Programme and teaching SAS in both under/postgraduate.
Recent teaching modules:
- Emerging technologies for Business – Undergraduate
- Project Management and IT Skills - Undergraduate
- Emerging Digital Media and IT trends for Marketing - Postgraduate
- Digital Marketing Data Analysis – Postgraduate
- Research Methods – Postgraduate
- 2013 – Present Director of Study for PhD students at London School of Commerce, The Associate College of Cardiff Metropolitan University
- 2009 – Present Postgraduate Dissertation Supervisor in the European Business School at Regent’s University London.
- 2017: PhD External Examiner. Swansea University. “Perceived helpfulness of electronic word of mouth (eWom): deducing emotions, fairness and rationality”.
- 2017: PhD External Examiner. Swansea University. “Consumers motivations to share tourism-related sponsored advertisements on social media: the moderating role of self-construal”.
- 2016: PhD External Examiner. University of South Wales. "Essential Factors influencing E-banking Services Adoption: The case of Jordanian Commercial Banks".
- 2016 – 2019: Programme and module External Examiner at Hertfordshire Business School for MSc Project Management
- 2011: PhD External Report Examiner. Universidad Carlos III de Madrid
- 2007 – 2009: Dissertation Supervisor: assisting undergraduate and master dissertations within the areas of Business and IS Alignment at Brunel University.
Emerging Technologies, Business Analytics, Digital Marketing, Project Management and Research Methods
- Gutierrez, A. Boukrami, E. and Lumsden, R (2015) Technological, Organisational and Environmental factors influencing managers’ decision to adopt cloud computing in the UK. Journal of Enterprise Information Management, 28(6), pp. 788-807.
- Gutierrez, A., Orozco,J. and Serrano, A. (2009). Factors affecting IT and business alignment: a comparative study in SMEs and large organizations. Journal of Enterprise Information Management, 22(2), pp. 197-211.
- Gutierrez, A. and Serrano, A. (2008). Assessing Strategic, Tactical and Operational Alignment Factors for SMEs: Alignment across the Organisation's Value Chain. International Journal of Value Change Management, 2(1), pp.33-56.
Chapter in Edited Books
- Gutierrez, A., Orozco, J. Serrano A. and Serrano A.. (2007). Technology Management: Concepts and Applications. The Icfai University Press (First Edition). ISBN: 81-314-1232-0.
- 2017: Grocery in-store Mobile App. RUL-SAS Consultancy Project. UK. Conducting customer research to provide insight to a groceries supermarket (ASDA) on using new in-store mobile app features to potentially increase customer engagement and loyalty.
- 2005: Software Localization Tester. SDL International. Globe House, Clivemont Road, Maidenhead, UK.
- June 2017: Invited as Keynote Speaker, “Learning Analytics”, XXVI Computing and Informatics Deans Congress. Coahuila, México, 14-16 June 2017
- May 2017: SAS-RUL Competition for MSc Digital Marketing and Analytics
- June 2016: Hosting two days “SAS Data Science & Advanced Analytics Forum” that was held at RUL with more than 100 attendees from industry and other universities. Program link: http://www.sas.com/content/dam/SAS/en_us/doc/event/misc/data-science-and-advanced-analytics-agenda-151117.pdf
Conference Papers Given
- Saint, J. and Gutierrez, A. 2017. Adoption of learning Analytics in the UK: identification of key factors using the TOE framework. International Conference on Information Systems Education and Research. Seoul, Korea 9-10 December 2017
- Gutierrez, A. and Calle, T. 2017. Acceptance of mobile location-based advertisement: a privacy calculus model, 50th Academy of Marketing Conference: Freedom Through Marketing: Looking Back, Going Forward. Hull, UK 3-6 July 2017. Best Paper in Track e-Marketing.
- Gutierrez, A. 2016. Internet Privacy Concerns in the context of web personalisation, UK Academy for Information Systems Conference (UKAIS). Oxford, UK 12-13 April 2016.
- Cioara, I., Sugandi, D., Syrnikova, A. and Gutierrez, A. 2015. Millennials Online Shopping: Privacy Concerns and Engagement, EAMSA Conference 2015: Theory and Practice in Bridging Europe and Asia: Contemporary Challenges in International Marketing. SOAS University of London, UK 28 – 31 October 2015.
- Gutierrez, A. and Lumsden, R. 2014. Key Management Determinants for Cloud Computing Adoption, UK Academy for Information Systems Conference (UKAIS). Oxford, UK 8-9 April 2014.
- Lumsden, R. and Gutierrez, A. Understanding the Determinants of Cloud Computing Adoption within the UK, European and Mediterranean Conference on Information Systems (EMCIS). London, UK 17 - 18 October 2013.
- Gutierrez, A. and Rowell, C. 2013. Peer review as a learning process. One Day Learning and Teaching Conference: Maximising the potential of Assessment and Feedback. Regent’s University London, 29 May 2013.
- Rommel, O. and Gutierrez, A. 2012. Empirical Assessment on Risks in IS/IT Projects: Challenges for Managers, 20th European Conference on Information Systems (ECIS). Barcelona, Spain 10¬-13 June 2012.
- Gutierrez, A. 2012. Research-Teaching-Practice linkages. Innovation in challenging times, The ABS Learning & Teaching conference in association with the Higher Education Academy. Manchester, UK 24 - 25 April 2012.
- Gutierrez, A. Alignment of IS Projects with Business Strategy: Evolution of Thinking and Practice, European and Mediterranean Conference on Information Systems (EMCIS). Athens, Greece 30-31 May 2011.
- Gutierrez, A. and Lycett M. 2011. IS Alignment factors: Dynamic relationships at Strategic, Tactical and Operational level, UK Academy for Information Systems Conference (UKAIS). Oxford, UK 12-13 April 2011.
- Gutierrez, A., Mylonadis, C., Orozco, J. and Serrano, A. 2008. Business-IS alignment: assessment process to align IT projects with business strategy, American Conference on Information Systems (AMCIS). Toronto, ON, Canada 14-17 August 2008.
- Gutierrez, A., Orozco, J., Papazafeiropoulou, N. and Serrano, A. 2008. Developing a taxonomy for the understanding of business and IT alignment paradigms and tools, 16th European Conference on Information Systems (ECIS). Ireland, Galway. UK 9-11 June 2008.
- Gutierrez, A., Orozco, J., Serrano, A. and Serrano, A. (2007). Using tactical and operational factors to assess strategic alignment: an SME Study, in Kumar, P. (ed.) Technology Management: Concepts and Applications. India: The Icfai University Press, pp. 113-127.
- Gutierrez, A., Nawazish, A., Orozco, J., Serrano, A. and Yaz, H. 2007. Comparing alignment factors in SMEs and large organisations: a planning integration perspective, American Conference on Information Systems (AMCIS). Keystone, Colorado. USA 9-12 August 2007.
- Gutierrez, A., Orozco, J., Serrano, A. and Serrano, A. 2006. Using tactical and operational factors to assess strategic alignment: an SME study, European and
- 2017: Erasmus Plus Programme. ISC Business School, Paris, France. Teaching Digital Marketing Trends, Mobile Location Based Advertising, Business Analytics to MBA students. 13-17 February 2017.
- 2015: Erasmus Plus Programme. Universitat de Valencia, Spain. Teaching Emerging Technologies for Business, Business Analytics and Digital Marketing to undergraduate, master and doctoral students. 16-20 February 2015.
- 2012: Regent’s Research grant: Peer Review as a Learning Process in collaboration with Dr Assia Rolls.
- 2011: Regent’s Research grant: Enriching the learning experience of international business and management postgraduate students doing dissertations in collaboration with Dr Peter Sharp
- 2010: Regent’s Research grant: Research-Teaching-Practice linkages: A Challenge for Business Schools. Published in Border Crossing: Transnational Working Papers in Higher Education, Volume 2011, no 1103.