Dr Brian Terry
Subject(s): Business & Management
In the 1980s and early 1990s Dr Terry led a world renowned research group in Materials production and Processing at Imperial College London. During this time he supervised 16 students towards successful PhDs and six postdoctoral fellows. This research was based on substantial international industrial funding, UK and European Union government research council funding. Dr Terry has published over 90 refereed academic articles and two text books in this field. He has acted as plenary speaker and international conference chair in the UK, Japan, USA, Chile, Australia and Germany.
Dr Terry was then appointed as the founding Director of the Centre for Advanced Manufacturing Management and Professor of Manufacturing Management at the University of Sunderland. The Centre was established as a result of substantial funding by the UK Government, European Union and inward investing companies including Nissan and Samsung. Additional funding was obtained for a large supplier development research and consulting program throughout the high volume manufacturing SME sector of the UK.
After a subsequent period of 15 years in international management consultancy Dr Terry has now returned to academic research and teaching.
- BSc(Eng) First Class Hons in Engineering from Imperial College London
- PhD Engineering from Imperial College London
Relevant Past Employment
- 2009 - 2011, University of East London, Senior Lecturer in Project Management
- 2002 - 2009, Richmond American University in London, Associate Professor in Operations Management
- 2004 – current,CMT Consulting London UK Managing Director,
- 2000 – 2002, Logica/CMG Director of Consulting Division providing strategic IT and management consultancy in the fields of Business Process Transformation, outsourcing, CRM and supply chain management. Major clients included HP, RAC, Hutchinson 3G and the Metropolitan Police.
- 1998-2000, Fujitsu ICL Director of Consulting Director of Pre Sales Consultancy Division in outsourcing - developing and delivering strategy initiatives and thought leadership for outsourcing in the manufacturing and industrials sectors. Leading collaborative campaigns for bidding and implementation of outsourcing sales and programs
- 1997-1998, Pera Consulting Director of Consulting, Responsible for leading a team of 6 senior management consultants and 15 junior consultants, practicing systems development, process improvement, corporate training, business process reengineering and strategic change in both private and public sectors
- 1994-1996, University of Sunderland/CAMM Consulting Director of Consulting, Professor of Manufacturing Management. Founded and led a management consultancy practice and centre of excellence in manufacturing and management securing start up grants of in excess of £4million.Total responsibility for managerial, financial, staff recruitment and strategy for growth functions
- 1984 – 1993, Imperial College Reader in Manufacturing and Materials Engineering. Led developments in teaching and research in manufacturing and materials engineering Directed and led a world-renowned research group including supervision of 20 postgraduate research students and extensive industrial consultancy
- 1987- 1988 University of California, Visiting Professor- established funding for research from government and industry in Japan, USA, Europe and South America totalling in excess of £6 million research income. Headhunted for a fixed term secondment to establish, develop and deliver MBA, postgraduate and post experience modules in world-class management and manufacturing principles in collaboration with U.S. manufacturing and automotive industries
- 1981- 1983 BHP New Technology Australia, Internal Consultant to Research Director. Responsible for the initiation, implementation and project management of special projects in direct collaboration with the Research Director including project management, technical support and production supervision during the commissioning of a £70 million process plant. Worked as part of a McKinsey team evaluating corporate R and D strategy and programs
- Internal Consultant to Research Director, BHP New Technology Australia
- Professor, University of Chile, Santiago, Chile
- Professor University of Auckland New Zealand
- Professor University of Concepcion. Concepcion, Chile
- Industrial Professor Kawasaki Steel, Chiba, Japan
- Chartered Engineer
- Prince 2 Project Manager
- DSDM Project Manager
- Member Institute of Directors
Teaching & Course Development
At Regents University London:
- Foundations of Marketing
- Principles of Marketing
- Applied Consumer Behaviour
- Business Strategy
- 20 PhDs
- In Excess of 50 Masters
- External examiner 20 PhDs
- Operations Strategy
- operations management
- supply chain management
- supplier relations, supplier development
- Project management
- Program Management
- Project Strategy
- Portfolio selection and management
- Lifecycle management
- Change management.
- Marc Helmold and Brian Terry , Supply Chain Management in China, , De Gruyter 2016
- Marc Helmold and Brian Terry, Global Sourcing and Supply Management Excellence in China, Springer 2016
- M. Helmold and B, Terry, Fifteen factors for best practice Supply Chain Management, All About Sourcing pp 6-14 October 2013
- M. Helmold and B. Terry, SCM best practice in the European Transportation Industry , Journal of the Swiss Association of Procurement and Supply Chain Management pp 27 -35 Nov 2013
- M.Helmold and B.Terry Supplier relations – supplier demands, Supply Chain Europe vol 39(11) pp 38 – 47 Nov 2011
- B.Terry, A.D.Morris and K. Smith Supplier development in the North East automotive SME sector presented at ICAM 97 Sunderland 1997
- B.Terry and L.Autret The strategic impact of digital technology in the movie industry Presented at Int Conf Managing the Movie Industry Miami USA 2005
- B.Terry and A.D.Venus Mould development using rapid tooling with SLS presented at ICAM 95 Sunderland 1995
- B.Terry Rapid tooling via SLS presented at World Class manufacturing IRRM Conf Magdeburg Germany 1996
- B.Terry Reverse engineering via SLS presented at EEC Computer assisted manufacturing conference Vienna 1996
- B.Terry Rapid prototyping via SLS presented at EEC ICCM conference Limerick Eire 1996
- B.S. Terry The Acid Decomposition of Silicate Minerals. Part 1.Reactivities and Modes of Dissolution. Hydrometallurgy . 10 (1983] 135-50.
- B.S. Terry. The .Acid Decomposition of Silicate Minerals, Part II.Hydrometallurgical Applications. Hydrometallurgy, 10 (1983), 151-171.
- B.S. Terry, Specific Chemical Rate Constants for the Acid Dissolution of Oxides and Silicates Hydrometallurgy, 11 (1983), 315-344.
- B.S. Terry and A..J. Monhemius, Acid Dissolution of Willemite and Hemimorphite, Metallurgical Transactions B, Volume 148, Sept 1983, p335.
- B.S. Terry Pyrometallurgy of Sulphide Ores of Nickel to finished Metal or Mattes, in Extractive Metallurgy of Nickel A.R. Burkin. Editor, Society for Chemical Industry. 1987.
- B.S. Terry J. Wright and D.J. Hall Model for Prediction of Carburisation, in Steels for Ethylene Production Furnaces, UK Corrosion 37, Brighton 26-28 Oct, Inst of Corrosion Science and Technology.
- B.S. Terry P. Grievson. K. Coley, Reduction-Carburisation of Ilmenite, The Rosenqvist Conference, Conf. Proceedings, Univ of Trondheim, Trondheim. Norway '88.
- B.S. Terry, X. Yu, Thermodynamic Stability of Metallurgical Cokes, Ironma king and Steelmaking, (6) 1990.
- B.S. Terry, J. Wright, D.J. Hall. Prediction of Carburisation in Steels for Ethylene Production Furnaces, Corrosion Science pp 717-734 1989. B.S. Terry Metal Matrix Composites. Elsevier Advanced Technology ISBN, 1-85617-021-7.
- B.S. Terry and D.C. .Azubike. Prospects for the Direct Production of Tungsten and Tungsten Carbide from Scheelite by Carbothermic Reduction, Trans IMM Cl57-162 1990.
- B.S. Terry and D.C. Azubike, Carbothermic Reduction of Ferrimolybdate, Trans IMM C 163-166 1990.
- B.S. Terry and D.C. Azubike, Reduction-Carburisation of Wolframite P3 Reduction of Natural Wolframite Concentrate, Trans. IMM, 1990 C67- C78.
- B.S.Terry and D.C. Azubike, Reduction Carburisation of Wolframite Effect of SnO2, MnO on Reduction with Carbon. Trans IMM C175-182, 1990.
- B.S. Terry C.L. Harris and D.G.C. Robertson, Decoppering of Liquid Lead Bullion by Elemental Sulphur Part l, The Sulphidation of Lead by Elemental Sulphur, Trans IMM C, Jan 93,pp .57-62.
- B.S. Terry C.L. Harris and D .G.C. Robertson. Decoppering of Liquid Lead Bullion by Elemental Sulphur Part 2.. Mechanism and Model for Decoppering, Trans IMM C Jan 93, pp.63-69.
- B.S. Terry and O.S. Chinyamakobvu. In Situ Production of Fe-TIC Composites by Reactions in Liquid Iron Alloys, J Mat Sci Letters, 1991 p.625 - 9
- B.S. Terry and O.S. Chinyamakobvu, The Carbotherrnic Reduction of Ilmenite and Rutile as a means of Production of Iron-based Ti(O,C) Metal matrix Composites. Materials Science and Technology, 1991,p 942
- M.S. Lee and B.S. Terry, the Effect of Processing Parameters on Aluminide Morphology in Aluminium Grain Refining Master Alloys, Mats Sci and Tech 1991 7 pp.608-612.
- B.S. Terry, M. S. Lee and P. Grieveson. The Decomposition Pressures of Potassium and Sodium Fluoroborates and Fluorotitanates. Trans IMM C 136 -43 March 94.
- B.S. Terry, M.S Lee and P. Grieveson, Interfacial Phenomena in the reactions of .Al and .Al-Ti Melts with KF-AlF3 and NaF-AlF3 Melts. Metallurgical Trans B June 93. pp 478 -91
- B.S. Terry, M.S Lee and P. Grieveson, Interfacial Phenomena in the reactions of Al- B ,Al-Ti –B and Al-Zr- B Melts with KF-AlF3 and NaF-AlF3 Melts. Metallurgical Trans B June 93. pp 947-953
- M.S.Lee, B.S.Terry and P.Grieveson, Thermodynamic properties of alkali metal fluoride – aluminium fluoride melts. Trans IMM C33 – C40 January 1994 U.O. Igiehon.
- B.S. Terry and P. Grieveson. The Carbothermic Reduction of .Antimony Sulphide, Trans IMM C Dec 92. U.O. Igiehon B.S. Terry and P . Grieveson, The Carbothermic Reduction of Complex Antimony and Arsenic-bearing Sulphides, Reduction of Copper Sulphides Trans IMM C March 93. U.O. Igiehon
- B.S. Terry and P. Grieveson, The Carbothermic Reduction of Complex .Antimony and Arsenic-bearing Sulphides, Part: 2 Reduction of Iron Sulphides, Trans IMM C March 93.
- U.O.Igiehon and B.S. Terry, The Carbothermic Reduction of Complex .Antimony and ..Arsenic-bearing Sulphides Part 3, The Reduction of Copper - Antimony Sulphides, Trans IMM C March 93.
- B.S. Terry and O.S. Chinyamakobvu, .Assessment of Dispersion and Dissolution of TiC in Liquid Iron alloys, Materials Science and Technology May 92 p.399-406.
- B.S. Terry and O.S. Chinyamakobvu, .Assessment of Dispersion and Dissolution of TiB2 in Liquid Iron Alloys, Materials Science and Technology, June 92 . p.491-499. U.O. Igiehon.,
- B.S. Terry and P Grieveson, The Role of .ZnCaOS Formation in the Carbothermic reduction of Zinc Sulphide in the Presence of Lime, Trans IMM C Dec 92. U.O. Igiehon, S. Heathcote B.S. Terry and P. Grieveson, The Carbothermic Reduction of Lead Sulphide, Trans IMM C Dec 92.
- B.S. Terry and O.S. Chinyamakobvu, Assessment of SiC Dispersion and Dissolution in Iron alloys, J Mat Science, 1994.
- B.S. Terry and O.S. Chinyamakobvu, .Assessment of B4C Dispersion and Dissolution in Liquid Iron Alloys, J. Mat Sci, 1994.
- B.S. Terry and O.S. Chinyamakobvu, Effects of Cooling Rate and Heat Treatment of the Microstructures of Iron Based TIC Composites, J. Mat Sci 1992 5666-5670. B.S. Terry and O.S. Chinyamakobvu, Assessment of the Reactions Occurring during the Solid State Processing of Iron Based Composites. J Mat Sci 1992 pp 5661-5665.
- B.S. Terry, Azubike and A. Chrysanthou. Carbothermic Reductions of Columbite as a means of In Situ Production of Fe/NbC-TaC Composites J Mat Sci 1994. Pp 4300 - 4305 D Azubike ar:d B.S. Terry Reduction Carburisation of Wolframite presented at TMS-.AIME Annual Conf San Diego March 1992. Published in APD Proceedings 1992 TMS- AIME June 1992 D. Gaskell(ed)
- B.S. Terry, G ..Riveros, M. Sanchez and J.H.E. -Jeffes. Lime Roasting of Copper Iron Sulphides. Part l Thermodynamics of Roasting Conditions, Trans IMMC, July/ .Aug 1994.
- B.S. Terry and G..l.. Riveros and J.H.E. Jeffes, Lime Roasting of Copper Iron Sulphides. Part 2 Experimental Optimisation of Roasting Conditions, Trans IM.MC, July Aug 1994.
- B.S. Terry, G...l.. Riveros and J.H.E. Jeffes, Lime Roasting of Copper Iron Sulphides. Part 3 Kinetics and Mechanisms of Roasting Reactions Trans IMMC, July/Aug 1994.
- B.S. Terry and G. McGurk, Water Vapour Catalysis of the Thermal Decomposition of Calcium Carbonate, Trans IMMC Mar 1994. B.S. Terry and P. Grieveson, interfacial Phenomena in Materials Processing: Keynote Paper in 4th International Conference on Molten Slags and Fluxes, Sendai. Japan 1992, The Iron and Steel Institute of Japan, published Dec 1992.
- B. S. Terry and P. Grieveson, Observations on the Role of Interfacial Phenomena in Materials Processing. Transactions of the Iron and Steel Institute of Japan Jan 1993, pp.166-175,
- B.S. Terry and C.A. Harris, Kinetics of Slag Cleaning Reactions Part l: Reduction of Fayalite Type Slags, Trans IMMC July/Aug 1995. B.S. Terry and C Harris, Kinetics of Slag Cleaning Reactions, Part 2 Mathematical Modeling of Kinetics of Reactions, Trans IMMC, July/ Aug 1995 B.S. Terry The reduction /carburisation of a columbite ore, Scan. J. Metallurgy 1994 23(3] p.130-136.
- B.S. Terry and G.R. Asjadi, Kinetics of Release of K and Na from CaO- Al2O3-SiO2 Slags, Ironmaking and Steelmaking, Feb 1994.
- B.S. Terry and G.R. Asjadi, Effect of .Additions of C, S and Fe on the Rate of Alkali Release from CaO-Al2O3-SiO2 Slags, Ironmaking and Steelmaking, February 1994.
- K.S. Coley, B.S. Terry and P.Grieveson, Simultaneous Carburisation Reduction of Ilmenite Met Trans B 1995 p.485-494. A.Jha,
- B.S. Terry and P. Grieveson, Physical Chemistry of the Carbothermic Reduction of Sulphide Minerals, Aus IMM Extractive Metallurgy Conference 1992, pp 434- 440
- D.C. Azubike, A Chrysanthou and B.S. Terry, Kinetic dissociation of nickel titanate and nickel tungstate in oxygen potential gradients. Journal of Materials Science 1994 29(11) pp 2957 – 2962
- S. de Souza and B.S. Terry, Production of stabilised and non stabilised ZrO2 by Carbothermic reduction of ZrSiO4. Journal of Materials Science 1994 29(12) pp 3329=3336
- E.C. Partington, P.Grieveson and B.Terry, Self -sustaining oxidation of liquid aluminium and its alloys containing magnesium and silicon. Journal of Materials Science 1998 33(8) pp 2447 - 245
- M.A. Sánchez, B.S. Terry. An Alternative Process to Resolve Pollution by Sulphur and Arsenic in Copp
- M. Sánchez, B. Terry. Stability of Cupric Ferrite at Temperatures concerned to Copper Pyrometallurgy. I Congress IBEROMET, VI National Meeting Metallurgy, Santiago (CHILE), 11-18 November 1990. 93-101 (Spanish).
- M.A. Sánchez, B.S. Terry. Thermodynamical and Experimental Antecedents to Neutralise Arsenic in Copper Smelter Plants. 42nd Meeting, IIM, Chile, Copper Industry. Eng. Faculty, Journal, University of Concepción, 1 May, 1991, 33-36
- M.A. Sánchez, "Arsenic and sulphur neutralization in copper Concentrates". I Meeting on Clean Technologies for the Copper Industry, Concepción, Chile, March, 1992. p. 63-72.
- A. Ulloa, M. Sánchez, B. S. Terry "Lime roasting of enargite" The IMM Pyrometallurgy'95, Cambridge, UK, July 1995, pp. 275 - 283. (English).
- B.S. Terry, M. Sánchez "Environmentally friendly processing of copper minerals bearing arsenic and/or sulphur by pyrometallurgical routes" in Copper'95, Nov. 1995, pp. 337-345. Santiago, Chile
Research Funding obtained
- University of Sunderland,Establishment of Centre for Advanced Manufacturing Management GONE, ESF, Nissan, Samsung, Thorn, Black and Decker,Flymo(£2,000,000)
- University of Sunderland (£500,000)Supplier Development Program for the NE High Volume manufacturing sector GONE,ESF
- University of Sunderland (£250,000)Rapid prototyping and rapid tooling research GONE,ESF
- Imperial College (£100,000)Various research programs Laporte Chemicals
- Institution of Mining and Metallurgy (£60,000)
- Dunlop Aviation (£200,000)
- DTI Warren Spring (£100,000)
- DTI NPL (£80,000)
- British Gas(£100,000)
- British Council(£50,000)
- BTG (£100,000)
- Kawasaki Steel Japan (£100,000)
- Nippon Steel Japan (£100,000)
- Codelco Chile (£50,000)
- Brazilian Research Council (£100,000)
- Tioxide UK (£100,000)
- Morgans Materials Ltd (£125,000)
- EEC BRITE program (£125,000)
- Elektoshmelz Germany (£125,000)
- SERC (£500,000)
- British Steel (£50,000)
- Metallurgie Hoboken (£100,000)
- RTZ Borax (£100,000)
- BHP Australia (£20,000)
- Alcan UK (£20,000)
- Foseco Ltd (£50,000)
- Steetley Chemicals Ltd (£60,000)
- KSR Ltd (£20,000)
- Englehards Ltd (£15,000)