Subject(s): Psychotherapy & Psychology
Daniel Mirea is a psychotherapist, lecturer and writer who trained in all three waves of Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (including Schema Therapy, Mindfulness, DBT). With a career longer than 20 years in the mental health Field, he is an accredited practitioner by both BABCP and UKCP, and fellow alumni of King's College. He developed and managed a counselling & psychotherapy service for younger adults with a history of trauma for more than 8 years and still manages his own practice; an experienced supervisor (of CBT/ humanistic therapies) as well as (CBT/ psychopathology) lecturer at Regent's University London and other universities.
He has a particular interest in childhood and recent trauma and long standing characterological problems (such as a deep sense of shame, guilt or failure).
- MSc in Mental Health
- (Post-Grad) Advanced Diploma in Dual Diagnosis
- Post-Graduate Diploma in CBT
- Certificates in third wave and analytical psychotherapies (various)
Relevant Past Employment
- 2011 – current, Crime Reduction Initiatives: Consultant Clinical Supervisor Management and mental health consultant and clinical supervisor to a team of senior managers, clinical and counselling psychologists employed by this nationwide health provider.
- 2007 – current, Regent's University London, NSPC (Middlesex University) and London Metropolitan, CBT Course Manager: developing psychotherapy and psychopathology courses for DPsych/ DProf/ MA programmes as well as main speaker at a series of events organized by the above schools
- 2004 – current, HomelessLink, WM College, DOH, CRI, Aviva, Axa PPP, LFB, CBT Clinics, CBT Services etc.
- 2001 – current, CBT Clinical, Coaching & Life Solutions CBT Therapist (Assessments, Formulations and CBT)
- 2003 – 2011, Centrepoint Health Team: Head of Service Counselling & Psychotherapy service for younger adults (17 to 25) with a history of homelessness (patron Prince Williams)
- 2002 – 2003, Independent Consultant, St Giles Trust Consultant for Mental Health Outreach Services (developing specialist services, counselling and training, consultant in mental health and dual diagnosis)
- 1997 – 2002, Phoenix House, Rehab & Substance Misuse Services Dual Diagnosis consultant (developing specialist services, counselling and training, consultant in mental health issues)
- 2000 – 2001, St Clements Hospital, Group psychotherapist
- 1999 – 2000, Lewisham Social Services (Child and Family Department) Mental Health Analyst.
- 1999 – 2000, Warley Hospital, CBT Psychotherapist
- 1998 – 2000, The Southbrooke Clinic (Lewisham Adult Mental Health)
- 1997 – 1998, CBT Psychotherapist The Linden Centre (Broomfield Psych Hospital) Clinical Attachment General Adult Psychiatry
- 1990 – 1996, Wakeling Court - Goodmayes Psych Hospital (in-patients unit) Senior Mental Health Worker.
- British Association of Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapies member since 1997,
fully accredited CBT therapist since 2007
- United Kingdom of Counselling & Psychotherapy accredited since 2007
- International Association of Cognitive Psychotherapies membership 1997 – 2000
Teaching & Course Development
CBT and third wave therapies:
- Assessments and case formulations
- Different perspectives on Psychopathology
- Coaching and Psychotherapy
- CBT and Existential psychotherapy
- Childhood and recent trauma
- Long standing characterological problems (such as a deep sense of shame, guilt or failure).
- “Translating Emotions” (in preparation for publishing with Sage)
- Mirea D. (2011). “CBC friend or foe” by in Existential Perspectives on Coaching (Van Deurzen et al.)
- (2011).“Cognitive Behavioural Therapy and Existential Phenomenological Psychotherapy: Rival Paradigms or Fertile Ground For Therapeutic Synthesis”. SEA Journal.
- (2010). “Falling through the cracks” in Young Minds Magazine.
- (2010). “Dealing with Fears” (CPHT)
- (2009). “The world as we see it...” BBC World Service: Radio Interview.
- (2009). “Conceptualising youth homelessness in London” in Focus Point Issue No.2, Centrepoint publications, Young Minds.
- (2008). “Psychologists for hire” Diaspora Magazine.
- (2007). “The treatment of a client with low self-esteem using cognitive and schema therapies” (Royal Holloway University,)
- (2007). “Conceptualising Shame” (Royal Holloway University,)
- (2001). “Developing dual diagnosis services within rehabs, overcoming service resistance” (Middlesex University,)
- (1999). “The influence of parental mental illness on all forms of child abuse” (Guy's & St Thomas Medical School MSc dissertation,)
- (1998). “The role of Play in child development” (Guy's & St Thomas Medical School research,)
- Consultant Crime Reduction Initiatives
- Non-exec Director (Psychological Services) Medical Consult UK
Conference Papers Given
- The underlying mechanisms of Youth homelessness