Dr Elias Boukrami
Head of Programmes / Principal Lecturer in Banking and Finance
Subject(s): Business & Management
Dr Elias Boukrami is the Head of programmes for the MSc Finance with specialisations and the MSc Oil and Gas Trade Management, a programme that he led during creation and successfully development in 2014. His team under his leadership was awarded the 2014 Trustees’ Prize for Outstanding Service to Regents University London. Dr Boukrami is the associate director of the Regent’s Centre for Transitional Studies (Transnational Finance Group), where he contributed in raising a research grant of £14,750 from an external research funding. Dr Boukrami is a Fellow member of the Higher Education Academy, member of Energy Institute and member of the Chartered Management Institute. Dr Boukrami holds a PhD in Empirical Finance. His core area of research is financial derivatives and particularly swaps. He published a book chapter “Swaps” for Professors Kent Baker and Greg Filbeck in a best seller text book “Investment Risk Management”. His books publications include also “The History of the Algerian Banking Industry, 1830 to 2010”, this title was edited by Mellen Press Publishing. Dr Boukrami a member of the editorial board of the International Journal of Islamic Marketing and Branding, published by Inderscience Pubilshers and International Economic Letters. Dr Boukrami acted also as book reviewer for Palgrave McMillan Publishers for a major Oil and Gas management textbook, in addition to his reviews of the Financial Services related conference papers for the Euromed Research Business Institute Conference. His consultancy experience includes leading a consultancy project with a group of senior trading analysts at an international bank. The project aimed to optimize the FX and money markets treasury positions of the bank. Dr Boukrami acts an external examiner and advisor to a number of UK and international institutions such as University of Bradford, Hertfordshire University and CIMA. Dr Boukrami has 3 PhD completions and acted as an examiner for several times. Dr Boukrami is an invited Professor at University of Lyon 3 IAE France appointed by the University President. He also appears regularly in the press and media (BBC, Banker Magazine, World Commerce Review). He also speaks regularly in the UKTI conferences promoting Regent’s and British higher education from a global perspective.
- PhD: Philosophy Doctorate in Finance, Manchester Metropolitan University, The Manchester Graduate Business School, 2002 – 2006
- PGCHE: Postgraduate Certificate of Teaching and Learning in Higher Education, University of Westminster, 2009 – 2011.
- MSc: Master of Science in Financial Services Management, University of Surrey UK, The Surrey European Management School, 1999 – 2001
- Dip: Diploma in English and Business, King's College London, 1998 – 1999
- BSc Hons: Maîtrise in Business and Finance, Ecole Suprieure de Commerce, Algiers, 1994 – 1998
Relevant Past Employment
- Jun 2015- current: Head of Programmes, MSc Finance and MSc Oil and Gas Trade Management, Regent’s University London
- Jan 2014-Jun 2015:Principal Lecturer in Finance and Banking-Programme Director MSc Oil and Gas Trade Management, Regent’s University London
- Sep 2010-Dec 2013: Senior Lecturer in Finance and Banking, Regent’s University London
- Sep 2010-current: Invited Professor in Finance and Information Systems Risk Management at University of Lyon III, France
- Jan -Dec 2012: External advisor MSc Islamic Banking and Finance, University of East London, Royal Dockland Business School
- Oct 07-Dec 2008: Project Manager of Financial Consultancy in Banking Treasury.
- Sep 04-Jun 2008:Lecturer in Finance, lecturing Global Financial Investment and Financial Securitization at Salford University, Salford Business School.
- Jun 03-Dec 2005: Research Associate with Financial Management Research Group at the Metropolitan University of Manchester
- MEI: Member of the Energy Institute; elected
- WEF: Member of the Westminster Energy Forum; Elected 2013.
- FHEA: Fellow of the Higher Education Academy; elected
- CMI: Chartered Management Institute, Full Member 2014; elected 2012 (fellow member).
- Char Acc: Member of the Algerian Chartered and Certified Accountants Association; elected 2002.
Teaching & Course Development
- Created and Developed MSc Oil and Gas Trade Management (2014 and revalidated in 2015)
- Led accreditation process with the Energy Institute for the MSc Oil and Gas Trade Management 2014
- Designed and Developed Islamic Finance Module for the BA Global Management (2016)
- Designed and Developed the final year capstone module, Finance in Action or the BA Global Management (2017)
- Developed Oil and Gas Trading and Risk Management module for the MSc OGTM (2015)
- Developed Live Company Project module for the MSc OGTM (2015)
- Corporate Finance and Financial Markets, PG
- Oil & Gas Trading and Risk Management, PG
- Islamic Finance, UG
- Global Banking, UG
- Financial Markets, UG
Omar Al Serhan, Current Student, PhD, starting in 2011,
First Supervisor, “The Impact of boycott on consumers behaviour”.
Abdul Baki, Current Student, PhD, starting in 2013,
First Supervisor, “The impact of capital structure, Interest rates and tax on Islamic and conventional banks financial performance: A comparative study”.
- External examiner for University of Bradford, Finance Modules and International Programmes 2015-now.
- External examiner for University of Hertfordshire, Finance Modules and International Programmes. 2015-now
- External examiner and External Member of the Validation Panel at University of Bedfordshire, for the 10/2016 Validation of three BA Finance programmes.
- External examiner and External Member of the Validation Panel at University of Staffordshire, for the 06/2013 Validation of three MSc Finance programmes.
- PhD Examiner 3 Viva Examinations
- Chaired PhD Examinations in October 2013 for the University of Wales and HASS faculty.
- MSc of Islamic Banking and Finance, University of East London, 2012, Programme External Advisor for Validation.
Derivatives, Assets Pricing, Market Efficiency, Islamic Finance, Energy Trading, Information and Security Management.
- 2017 Al-Serhan, O. Sirkeci, I. and Boukrami, E. (2017). "Why do they boycott? Withholding consumption among London’s Muslim Arabs". International Journal of Teaching and Case Studies. Paper Accepted, forthcoming.
- 2017 Carl Dafgard, Elias Boukrami & Abdelhafid Benamraoui; (2017), “Rethinking the Practice of the UK Islamic Retail Banking”. Paper under review 2* ABS Journal
- 2016 Gutierrez, A. Boukrami, E. and Lumsden, R. 2015. “Technological, Organisational and Environmental factors influencing managers’ decision to adopt cloud computing in the UK”. Journal of Enterprise Information Management, 28(6), pp. 788-807.
- 2016 Regent’s Report - Europe’s Neighbours: from Morocco to Moscow, article “Algeria a Distant Neighbour? Report sponsored by the European Commission.
- 2015 Omar Al-Serhan & Elias Boukrami; (2015), “Mapping studies on consumer boycotting in internationalmarketing” Transnational Marketing Journal, Vol 3 No 2.
- 2015 Anabel Gutierrez, Elias Boukrami & Ranald. I. Lumsden; (2014), “Cloud Computing adoption: UK end users perspective”. International Journal of Information Management. (2* ABS).
- 2015 Carl Dafgard, Elias Boukrami & Abdelhafid Benamraoui; (2014), “Rethinking the Practice of the UK Islamic Retail Banking”. Paper submitted in Journal of Business Ethics. (3* ABS).
- 2014 The InnerCirle Regents University London Magazine. “Is Oil just a commodity or more than that?”
- 2012 The Algerian Journal of Public Finance, Vol 1(2) “The Impact of Interest Rates Swap Activity on Bank’s Stock Volatility: An Empirical Portfolio Approach,”
- 2007 Handbooks of Management Accounting Research Volume 1, Elsevier “Risk and Control: Drivers, Practices and Consequences”, Research Project funded by the Chartered Institute of Management Accountants and led By Prof: Tony Berry.
- 2003 “The Use of Interest Rate Swap by US. Commercial Banks”, The Manchester Graduate Business School, The Social Science Network Review, USA. www.ssrn.com
- 2002 “British Universities Accounting Management and its Impact on the Performance” Research Project Leaded by Dr T.Beasley, Manchester Metropolitan University and The British Association of Management.
- Led the MSc OGTM team that was awarded the 2014 Trustees’ Prize for Outstanding Service to Regents University London.
- 2014: Book manuscript “The History of the Algerian Banking System: 1830-2010”, Mellen Press Ney York, Co-authored with Dr A. Benamraoui, University of Westminster.
- 2014: Book chapter 27: “Swaps and Risk”, book edited by Professor Kent Baker and Professor Greg Filbeck, “Financial Investment Risk Management” University of Oxford Press, NY.
- 2014: Member of the Editorial Board for the Inderscience Publishers peer reviewed journal, “The International Journal of Islamic Marketing and Branding”
- 2014: Reviewed a major Oil and Gas management textbook for Palgrave Macmillan Publishers.
Conference Papers Given
- 2017: Al-Fallah University Dubai, TASK Conference 2017 “Ethical Legitimacy, Growth and Rethinking Practice of UK Islamic Retail Banking?”
- 2014: UK Trade & Investment Energy Education & Training 2014, London. “What Role can British Universities Play in Supporting the Global Energy Industry?”
- 2013: The 4th Global Islamic Marketing Conference, Istanbul, “Islamic Retail Banking in the UK between Challenges and Opportunities”
- 2012: Middle East Association London, UKTI, “The Maghreb” Conference, “The Algerian Baking System Between Challenges and Opportunities”
- 2012: Research Conference at Lyon III University. The Euro Crisis and the Future of the Euro as Common Currency, International
Raised a research grant of £14,750 financing a research project on “The Impact of Financial Bubbles on the Global Real Economy”. The funding was granted by the Algerian Department of Higher Education and Scientific Research for the Regent’s Centre for Transnational Studies.