Subject(s): Business & Management
Dr Bowen joined Regent's University London in 2004. Since then he has been teaching marketing communications and advertising and supervising postgraduate students. Gordon is in the process of supervising a PhD student in his area of specialism.
He previously, worked as an Associate Lecturer for School of Management, Surrey University and an External Examiner for Oxford Brookes University. He had a variety of senior positions in the telecommunications industry ranging from training to business development and strategy from 1983 to 2000.
Gordon is a co-founder of TVBA Ltd an SME management consultancy and is a director of the company.
- 2012, IOE, University of London Cert. Assessing learning at FE/HE levels
- 2011, London Business School Cert. Corporate Finance
- 2003, DBA University of Hull, Doctorate in Business Administration (Strategy)
- 1987, Cranfield School of Management Continuing Studies Management Programme
- 1996, MBA Sheffield Business School (Sheffield Hallam University)
- 1993, CDAF ACCA
- 1977, Officer Trg, Britannia Royal Naval College, Dartmouth
- 1975, QTS, Qualified Teacher Status
- 1974, PGCE Birmingham University
- 1973, BSc Aston University, Physics and Computer Science
Relevant Past Employment
- Current, Self-employed educator (public and private sectors including online) and consultant; Management Consultant to SMEs; Educator to professionals, postgraduates and undergraduates modules specialising in marketing, strategy, research methods & dissertation supervision (MBA & PhD); Director TVBA (Thames Valley Business Advisor; Member of Institute for Independent Business consulting organization for SMEs
- 2017, External Postgraduate Supervisor University of Warwick
- 2016, Associate Lecturer Executive MBA (Block/P/T) in Managing Ethics & Professional Issues, University of Roehampton
- 2015, External International Examiner, University of KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa
- 2015, Associate Lecturer in strategy, global policy and postgraduate supervision, Ulster University
- 2015, Associate Lecturer in marketing, management & HR postgraduate dissertations, Hertfordshire University
- 2014, Associate Lecturer in strategy for postgraduate and undergraduate students, Grenoble Graduate School of Business
- 2012, PhD/DBA supervisor Gloucestershire University
- 2006, Associate lecturer & module leader for advertising and marketing communications at undergraduate and postgraduate and postgraduate dissertation supervisor, Regent’s University London
- 2003 - 2006, Associate lecturer & module leader for strategy (undergraduate) and supervisor for postgraduate dissertations in marketing, London Metropolitan University
- 2002 – 2003, Senior lecturer & Module Leader in Strategy & International Business, Kingston University, Kingston Business School
- 2001 – 2002, Course Leader for Business Foundation, and Member of Business Studies Management Team, Holborn College
- 2000 – 2001, Independent Management Consultant Business Adviser to SMEs
- 1983 – 2000, Nortel Networks, International and domestic senior management positions – technical training, sales training, business planning, sales and marketing, and business development
- 1982 – 1983, STC, Technical trainer
- 1977 – 1982, Officer Royal Navy, Education Branch
- 1974 – 1977, Birmingham Education Authority, Head of Physics and Deputy Head of Science Colmers Farm School
- 2014, FHEA Fellow of Higher Education Academy
- Chartered Member of CIM (Chartered Institute of Marketing) and Chartered Marketer
- CMI (Chartered Institute of Management)
- Member of AMBA (Association of MBAs)
Teaching & Course Development
- Module: 1. Marketing Communications,
- Module: 2. Media and the Advertising Environment,
- Module: 3. Marketing Management
- Module: 4. Advertising and Marketing Communications (PG).
- Module: 5. Member of the team developing MA in Digital Marketing.
- 4 x PhD candidates completed – University of Wales, GSM London (3) & Cardiff Metropolitan University (1)
- DBA supervisor for four students (based in Germany) in strategy and KPIs, innovation and product development, social media & service processes in SMEs in engineering firms in Germany, M & A - 2012 University of Gloucestershire
- PhD supervisor for 8 students (international) in management (strategic leadership), hedonic shopping, start-ups and ethnicity, CRM process implementation in Bangladesh, CSR and middle management employee engagement, sustainable networks in Africa-Sahara to HR (women and the glass ceiling), Entrepreneurship and African Women in the UK - 2011 LSC, Cardiff Metropolitan University
- PhD supervisor for 1 students in strategy and project management - 2011 GSM London, University of Wales.
- Appointed Director of Studies (DoS) for GSM London, University of Wales – 2016
- External moderator for CIM modules
- Associate Lecturer at School of Management, Surrey University – dissertation supervision and marker in Strategy, Marketing & International Business (2002 -2005)
- 2013 – 2016, External Examiner Business, Gloucestershire University
- 2016, External Examiner Business, New bucks University
- 2015, External moderator (International programmes), Hertfordshire University
- 2003 - 2006 External Examiner, BA Administration, Oxford Brookes University
- Acted as independent assessor to transfer from MPhil to PhD – GSM London, University of Wales
- Internal examiner for PhD viva on strategic change in residential care – GSM London, University of Wales, 2014.
- Internal examiner for PhD viva “Contextualising Workplace Stress and Work-Life Balance Realities Of Nigerian Call Centre Employees: A Thematic Evaluation” – GSM London, University of Wales, 2015
- Internal examiner for PhD viva on strategic change in residential care – GSM London, University of Wales, 2016.
- Chair PhD viva on oil and gas industry – GSM London, 2014
- DBA supervision for West of Scotland University 2016 – awaiting allocation of supervisees.
Current research interests are strategy formulation in corporations and SMEs. Related to this is an interest in strategic decision-making in organisations and projects. Current research interest is now encompassing green marketing and ethics expertise. Consultancy involvement is related to assisting colleges in re-validations and validations across undergraduate and postgraduate course.
- Bowen, G., 2002; Strategy Formulation in Bubble Markets: A case study of Nortel Networks, British Academy of Management 2002, CD-ROM, Middlesex University London.
- Bowen, G. & Bowen, D., 2014, Strategy Formulation and Uncertain Environments, Sixteenth International Conference of the Global Business and Technology Association, Baku, Azerbaijan.
- Bowen, G., & Bowen, R., 2014; Offline and Online Brand Trust Models: Their Relevance to Social Media, The 23rd World Business Congress of the International Management Development Association; Ankara, Turkey.
- Thommes, B., & Bowen, G., 2014, How important are Performance Management Systems to achieve outstanding financial results, V1 Conference Albanian Center for Risk.
- Mah, V. A., & Bowen, G., 2014, Stakeholder Networking: Sustainable Community Development in Emerging Countries, V1 Conference Albanian Center for Risk.
- Bowen, G., & Bowen, R., 2014, Brand trust in offline & online environments: Lessons for social media, In: G. Bowen, and W. Ozuem, eds. 2014, Computer-Mediated Marketing Strategies: Social Media and Online Brand Communities, USA: IGI-Global, Ch.3.
- Bowen, G., & Ozuem, W., eds. 2014, Computer-Mediated Marketing Strategies: Social Media and Online Brand Communities, USA: IGI-Global. Catalogued by Harvard University
- Bowen, G., & Bowen, D., 2014, Strategy Formulation and Uncertainty in Environments, Journal of Business and Economics USA, Issue 12. JBE20140629-1
- Bowen, G., & Bowen, D., 2015, Strategy Formulation: A Thematic View of the Literature, Interdisciplinary Journal of Economics Business and Law, Vol. 4, 3, 114 - 138
- Naqvi, S. F., Chowdhury, D., and Bowen, G., 2014, CSR: Employees engagement and HR’s role in the process, International Conference on Business and Social Science, Kings College, London.
- Wickramasinghe, S., and Bowen, G., 2014, Career decision making theories: Do they serve the intended purpose in the modern world?, Seventh International Conference, Prishtina.
- Thommes, B., and Bowen, G., 2014, Performance Management Systems and Employee Motivation, a Literature Review, Seventh International Conference, Prishtina.
- Nmecha, E., and Bowen, G., 2014, Work place factors impacting women and its effect on progression, Seventh International Conference, Prishtina.
- Bowen, G., and Bowen, D., 2014, Strategy Formulation and Uncertainty in Environments, Journal of Business and Economics, Vol. 5, 12, 2316- 2337.
- Thommes, B., and Bowen, G., 2014, Performance Management Systems and Employee Motivation, a Literature Review, International Journal of Management and Business Economics, Vol 3, 3, 197-222.
- Nmecha, E., and Bowen, G., 2014, Management Implications of stereotype or qualification towards women progression, Seventh International Conference, Prishtina.
- Ozuem, W., & Bowen, G., eds. 2016, Competitive Social Media Marketing Strategies USA: IGI-Global. Top 10 best seller for IGI-Global, #3 in 2016 Catalogued by Harvard University
- Bowen, G., & Bowen, R., 2016 (forthcoming) Differences and Similarities: Brand Trust Offline and Online, International Journal of Online Marketing, Vol 6, 1,54 – 82.
- Bowen, G., and Bowen, D., 2016 (forthcoming), Social media: A Strategic Decision-Making Tool, Journal of Business and Economics,
- Bowen, G., and Bowen, D. 2016, Social Media: A Strategic Decision-Making Tool, Journal of Global Business and Technology, Spring, Vol 12, 1, 48 – 59. ISSN: 1553-5495 – paper by invitation
- Bowen, G., & Bowen, D., 2016, Social Media: A Strategic Decision-making Tool, In W.Ozuem, and G. Bowen eds 2016, Competitive Social Media Marketing Strategies, USA: IGI-Global, Ch. 5.
- Bowen,G., & Bowen, D., 2016, Strategist: Role and Attributes, In V.C. X. Wang ed 2016, Encyclopedia of Strategic Leadership and Management, USA: IGI – Global, Ch. 48. Book catalogued by Harvard University - http://hollis.harvard.edu/primo_library/libweb/action/display.do?frbrVersion=2&tabs=detailsTab&ct=display&fn=search&doc=TN_eblEBL4773074&indx=23&recIds=TN_eblEBL4773074&recIdxs=22&elementId=22&renderMode=poppedOut&displayMode=full&frbrVersion=2&vid=HVD&mode=Basic&tab=everything&vl(394521272UI1)=all_items&vl(51615747UI0)=creator&vl(1UI0)=exact&dscnt=0&scp.scps=scope%3A%28HVD_FGDC%29%2Cscope%3A%28HVD%29%2Cscope%3A%28HVD_VIA%29%2Cprimo_central_multiple_fe&vl(freeText0)=%20Wang%20%2C%20%20Victor%20%20%20C%20.%20%20X%20&dstmp=1484517064956
- Bowen, G., and Bowen, R., 2016, Strategic Decisions: Not for the Light-Hearted or Light-Headed, GBATA Eighteenth Annual International Conference, Dubai.
In the consultancy role developed PG & UG modules and courses for various private colleges acting as the lead consultant. The range of courses is fashion marketing, entrepreneurship, international business, corporate social responsibility, and luxury brand marketing. All were successfully taken to validation.
Critique and make recommendations on existing modules and courses before validation for private colleges as part of a panel.
Participate in pre-visits before starting validation process to judge suitability of the private college and produce a report.
Conference Papers Given
- Bowen, G. (2002). Strategy Formulation in Bubble Markets: A case study of Nortel Networks; British Academy of Management 2002; CD ROM; Middlesex University; London.