Dr Jacob H Schmidt
Subject(s): Business & Management
Dr Schmidt is Senior Lecturer in Finance at Regent’s University London. He is the founder and Chief Executive Officer of Schmidt Research Partners Limited and Chief Investment Analyst and member of the Investment Committee at NLPFM.
He is an international financial markets expert and global hedge fund consultant, having worked in global financial markets for over 20 years. Co-founder and former director of hedge fund rating and research firm Allenbridge Hedgeinfo (2000-2005). Prior to that he worked for Citibank London (1994-1996), Donaldson Lufkin & Jenrette (1996-1998) and having started his career at Creditanstalt-Bankverein in Vienna (1990-1994).
- Karl-Franzens University of Graz (PhD in Finance) (2008 – 2017) Supervisors: Prof. Stefan Karner / Prof. Richard Sturn / Prof. Mestel
- Doctoral Thesis: The Role of Speculators in Major Market Crashes - Comparative historical analysis of the role of funds, hedge funds, leveraged institutions and other market participants in the market crashes of 1929 and 2008
- WU Wien (Vienna University of Economics and Business: Economics and Business Administration (1984-1990), graduation 1990 (M.A. / Mag.rer.soc.oec.)
- Karl-Franzens University of Graz: law (1982-1984), first diploma 1984
Relevant Past Employment
- 2015-now: Chief Investment Analyst and member of the Investment Committee at NLPFM.
- 2005 – current, Schmidt Research Partners Ltd., London, UK: Investment Research and Advisory, FSA authorised and regulated. CEO.
- 2000 – 2005, Allenbridge Hedgeinfo (part of Allenbridge Group plc), London, UK: Director of Research and Partner
- 1996 – 1998, Donaldson, Lufkin & Jenrette (now part of Credit Suisse), London, UK; Vice President, Emerging Markets, Derivatives, Head of Austria, Germany and Switzerland
- 1994 – 1996, Citibank, London, UK: Assistant Vice President, Emerging Markets.
- 1991 – 1994, Trader and Portfolio Manager, Sovereign Debt – LDC – Emerging Markets - Special Assets Management
- 1990 – 1991, Trainee (15 month graduate trainee program)
- 1990 – 1994, Creditanstalt-Bankverein (now part of UniCredit - Bank Austria), Vienna, Austria
- 2007, CF30 Customer, Schmidt Research Partners Ltd
- 2006, CF1 Director, Schmidt Research Partners Ltd
- 2006, CF10 Compliance Oversight, Schmidt Research Partners Ltd
- 2006, CF11 Money Laundering Reporting, Schmidt Research Partners Ltd
- 2006, CF3 Chief Executive, Schmidt Research Partners Ltd
- 1997, Options and Futures Rep
- 1995, Securities Rep
Teaching & Course Development
Regent's University London: 2002-current:
- Undergraduate courses (2014 - now) for RBS
Module Leader: Wealth Management, Principles of Financial Management, Principles of Investment Management
- Graduate courses taught (2002-2015) at Regent's American College London (RACL):
- Advanced Corporate Finance (5880)
- Derivatives (5870)
- Entrepreneurial Finance and Venture Capital (5860)
- Investments (5210)
- International Finance (5840)
Webster University Vienna Campus: 1999-2005 (Adjunct Professor, School of Business and Technology)
University of Graz, Department of International Management: 1999 (Lecturer)
- Alternative Investments – Great Crash and Great Depression – Global Financial Crisis and Great Recession
- Schmidt E, Schmidt J (2014), Hedy Dichter – eine außergewöhnliche Frau/A Remarkable Woman, Gespräche mit Elfriede Schmidt & Jacob H. Schmidt, Conversations with Elfriede Schmidt & Jacob H Schmidt, Biography. Bilingual (German and English), ISBN 978-3-9503597-7-0, Edition Strahalm, Graz, Austria
- Schmidt, J (2000), Credit Markets and Credit Derivatives: Theory and Practice of the International Credit Markets and the Role of Financial Innovations in Risk Management (RPS'S Financial Market Series) (Paperback), ISBN: 3-900526-17-6
Publication of Articles on hedge funds:
- Schmidt, J, (2001), Hedge Funds of Funds: a panacea for the discerning investor? In: European Fund Manager.
- Schmidt, J, (2001). Hedge Fund returns: are the best times over? Risk & Reward, October.
- Schmidt, J, (2002). Fonds de fonds; sont ils trop chers? In: Banque et Finance, Special Edition.
- Schmidt, J, (2002). Benchmarking hedge fund returns: will indices destroy In: Risk & Reward.
- Schmidt, J, (2003). The return of global macro. Why investors should be wary of irrational expectations. In; SwissHedge, A Review of Developments in the Hedge Fund Industry, p.23-27
- Schmidt, J, (2003). Due diligence: eternal vigilance. Hedge Fund Review,. P. 36-37.
- MarHedge MAPAs: Organiser and analyst of hedge fund performance awards in London and New York: May 2005, St. Regis New York; May 2006, St. Regis New York; September 2006, Claridges London, UK.
- Regular Contributor and Guest Host on financial markets channels (BBC 24, Bloomberg, CNBC, CNN) on the subject of hedge fund performance, regulation and other related issues. Since 2001.
- Trainer in public hedge fund seminars in London and New York since 2004 (seminars with the following topics: Understanding hedge funds; Hedge Fund Strategies; Hedge Fund Risk Management; Credit Derivatives; Performance and Measurement; Due Diligence). Fintuition, London, UK.
- In-house consultant with major US and European banks (BofA – Merrill Lynch, Bank Austria, HSBC, Austrian Central Bank et al)
- Jury Head Risk - Management Category of portfolio institutional awards 2012-now
- Best for Investment Due Diligence Services - London - Wealth & Finance INTL’s 2015 Finance Awards (October 2015)
- Best Investment Advisory Firm – UK - Acquisition International 2015 Legal Awards (October 2015)
- Winner of the 2014 UK HF Research Firm of the of Year - Investment Opportunities (International HF Awards 2014 - Acquisition International Magazine, Feb 2014)
- Winner of the 2013 Legal Awards: UK Global Hedge Fund Consultants of the Year (International Legal Awards 2013 - Acquisition International Magazine, October 2013)
- Winner of the 2013 UK HF Research Firm of the of Year - Investment Opportunities (International HF Awards 2013 - Acquisition International Magazine, February 2013)
Conference Papers Given
- Panel debate: Different ETFs = different risks at ETF & Indexing Investments. 11-13 October 2010. Marriot Hotel London.
- Comparing different emerging markets – where is the next big opportunity? FX Investment World, 14-16 June 2011, Royal Garden Hotel London.
- Keynote Lecture (“Impulsvortrag”) and Panel Debate in Vienna, Austria: Eurocrisis (“Eurokrise- rette sich wer kann!”), Austrian Chamber of Commerce, 21 November 2011 (given in German)
- Current State of the European Hedge Fund Industry and outlook for 2003. Hedge Fund World Conference, Zurich, Switzerland, November 2002.
- Hedge Funds World Africa 2005. 1-4 November 2005. Cape Town, South Africa
- Hedge Funds World Risk Management 2005. New York 2005.
- Asset Allocation Summit- ETF & Indexing Investments. 24-27 June 2008. Victoria Park Plaza. London. Panel debate: fundamental weighted indices – a marketing buzzword or the next big think for ETFs? 25 June 2008.
- Asset Allocation Summit- ETF & Indexing Investments. 21-23 September 2009. Victoria Park Plaza. London. Panel debate: Exploring active ETFs – can ETFs genuinely be described as alpha? 22 September 2009.
- Lecture at London Business School 29 March 2005: Prof. Elroy Dimson on “Rating of Hedge Funds”.