Associate Lecturer & Interim Course Leader
LinkedIn: View LinkedIn Profile
Subject(s): Fashion & Design,Liberal Arts & Humanities
Julia Robson is an award-winning fashion journalist, broadcaster and copy writer who works across global publications including The National (UAE), Grazia, Instyle, Elle and national newspapers including Daily Telegraph titles, The Daily Mail, British Airways First Life and Country & Town House magazine. A former columnist on international fashion for The National, the English national newspaper of the United Arab Emirates, and Associate Lecturer at the University of the Arts and The Fashion Institute of Technology (FIT) overseas programme in London, the former deputy fashion editor of The Daily Telegraph, and fashion editor of The Sunday Mirror, graduated from Central St Martins with a degree in fashion. She is a ‘frock watching’ guest on Sky News (during Oscars) and BBC Radio 4 (Woman’s Hour). Commissions include covering the French haute couture season (July 2011) for Telegraph.com site and haute couture shows for The National (since 2008); and editorship of a magazine (2012-16) written by offenders at a women’s prison in a collaborative project for University of the Arts (funded by Sir John Cass’s foundation). This won the 2013 Outreach award in The Times HE Awards.
- HEA Fellow since 2014
- MA Academic Practice in Art Design and Communication (graduating 2019). This includes Curriculum Creation and Research Through Practice.
- BA Hons Fashion Communications with Promotion, Central Saint Martins: 2:1 1984. Leeds University, Textile Design BA Hons, first year.
- 2015 Postgraduate Certificate (Distinction) in Academic Practice in Art, Design and Communication (University of the Arts, London)
- Recipient of Outreach Award, The Times Higher Education Awards: Team leader/editor on collaborative project between LCF, Sir John Cass and HMP Send. 2011-15.
- Governor of St Paul’s CE School, Camden.
Teaching & Course Development
- 2013-Present: Associate Lecturer, BA (Hons) Fashion Journalism, London College of Fashion.
- 2016-Present: Associate Lecturer, MA Fashion Journalism, Central Saint Martins.
- 2018-Present: Course Leader (shared role) MA International Fashion Marketing, Regent’s University, London. Also, module leader and Lecturer, Regent’s University, London.
- 2016-2017: Interim Course Leader, Fashion Buying and Merchandising, Regents University.
- 2013- present: Visiting Lecturer and module leader, Fashion Communications and Fashion Journalism, Regents University London.
- 2007 – present: Associate Lecturer, LCF Fashion Media short courses
- 2012-2016: Visiting Lecturer, Fashion Institute of Technology (FIT), University of New York.
- 2012-2016: Team leader, LCF, Sir John Cass and HMP Send prison: ‘The Beauty Inside’.
- 2014-2017: Lecturer, Conde Nast College, London. 2017.
- 2016-Present: Guest Lecturer in Fashion Journalism, London Metropolitan University 2016- present.
- 2016-Present: Guest Lecturer, Fashion Journalism, University of Westminster.
- 2016-Present: Visiting Lecturer, Fashion Journalism, London College of Communication.
- 2003/4. Guest debating society. University of Durham
Throughout her career, Julia has engaged in a range of fashion media research studies including an award winning (Times Education) outreach project creating a magazine with female offenders in a closed prison. The magazine, The Beauty’s Inside project in association with a charity and London College of Fashion, UAL, ran for five years.
As part of her MA research studies, Julia has created two films. “I create, therefore I am.” A film promoting diversity in fashion; and Fashion Journalism: A Beautiful Craft, exploring the profession in a digital age.
Industry/fashion consultancy and journalism
- 2012-present. Contributor SHOWstudio, London
- 2015-Present day: Freelance fashion journalist, broadcaster and stylist. Contributing to publications including all Telegraph titles; The Financial Times; The Daily Mail; The Daily Express; The Sunday Express; Grazia; Instyle; You magazine; ES magazine; Stella; British Airways First Life; Country & Town House; Handbag.com. Other media clients: BBC Radio 4 Women’s Hour; Sky News, ITN News at Ten, CNN, NBC, Al Jazeera.
- 2008-2012, fashion columnist, The National, national daily newspaper of UAE.
- 1996-2005. Deputy Fashion Editor, The Daily Telegraph, British national newspaper
- 1994-1996. Fashion Editor, The Sunday Mirror newspaper and magazine; fashion correspondent, LIVE! TV
- 1988-1994. Fashion Stylist and fashion assistant, The Daily Telegraph
- Fashion intern at British Vogue (6 months); Elle UK (one month).
- 2008-2016, senior reporter, The LFW Daily, magazine of London Fashion Week.
- 2008-2012, haute couture reporter, The National; Telegraph.com online/newspaper.
- 2008-present: brand consultant and copy writer: clients include Next, Grattan, George Asda, F+F Tesco, Thomas Pink, The Gap. 2012-2015, Boden blog.