Subject(s): Liberal Arts & Humanities
Leslie Viney combines writing with teaching at Regent's University. She was London Correspondent for US News & World Report and contributed stories about Britain for the New York Times. She writes for British and American publications, does communications for a variety of clients and edits non-fiction books.
- M.S. Social Research Methods, London Metropolitan University, London, in process
- M.S. Journalism, Medill School of Journalism, Northwestern University, Evanston, Il,
- B.A. English Literature, (with teaching certification) University of Rochester, Rochester, NY,
- University of Sussex, Brighton, England, (Junior Year Abroad)
Relevant Past Employment
- Over 25 years' experience in journalism, PR and non-fiction books, working in-house and as an outside consultant, both in the US and the UK.
- 2005-2012 – Course Leader Journalism, London Metropolitan University
- 1989-1991 - London Correspondent US News&World Report
- Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (SFHEA)
- Association of Journalism Educators (AJE)
- MeCCSA (Media, Communication and Cultural Studies)
- ECREA (European Communication Research and Education)
Teaching & Course Development
- BA and MA courses in Media & Communications, Public Relations, Journalism and Film Studies with specific course emphasis in journalism practice, media research, strategic communications and publication and design.
- Developed the MA in Media & Digital Communications, and helped to develop the Creative Industries degree and the Events Management degree.
- 2013 - University of Westminster: Chief External Examiner for undergraduate media and BA in Advertising and Public Relations
- Facebook and social media influence on young people; comparative analysis of media coverage of the Middle East and the United States; offense in advertising
- Sujon,Z, Viney,L, Toker-Turnalar, E (2018).Domesticating Facebook: The Shift from Compulsive Connection to Personal Service Platform. Social Media & Society, Sage Journals 4(4)
Conference Papers Given
- ‘I get my information from my professors’: Social media, news consumption and the triumph of traditional sources’, Social Media Insights, March 5th, Regent’s University, London, with Elif Toker-Turnalar and Zotanya Sujon
- ‘They’ve got the power: Facebook and Emerging adults’, Ten Years of Facebook, September 5-6, Partiumi Keresztény Egyetem, Romania
- ‘“I Get My Information From My Professors”: Social Media, News Consumption and the Triumph of Traditional Sources’ MeCCSA Annual Conference, January 8-10, Bournemouth University
- ‘Facebook and news as an information battleground’ Social Media: The Fourth International Transforming Audiences Conference, September 2-3, University of Westminster, London, UK.
- ‘They’ve got the power: Facebook, digital literacy and Regent’s University students’. Media Trends: Challenging Crossroads, April 8-10, Webster University, Geneva, Switzerland