Linda Mingfang Li
Position: Principal Lecturer - Chinese; Programme Director BA International Business and Chinese Studies
Faculty: Institute of Languages and Culture
Educated and trained as a language teacher and socio-linguist in China and the UK, Linda has taught languages and cross cultural studies at both undergraduate and postgraduate level for many years, including teaching at the School of Oriental and African studies, Imperial College and Foreign and Commonwealth Office before joining Regent's University London in January 2000. She is now the Programme Director BA International Business and Chinese Studies and Subject Group Leader for Chinese, Russian and Japanese. She is responsible for developing and running all the modules in the Programmes and in the subject group.
She is an external examiner for a number of universities, an author of Chinese in Steps, a textbook that won Outstanding International Chinese Language Teaching Materials Award December 2010 and was also adopted by Open University for its Chinese course First Step. Her joint research won a Creativity Thesis Award at the 10th International Symposium for Teaching Chinese as a Foreign Language August 2010.
In addition to teaching and supervising undergraduate dissertations, she also engages in consultancy and research. She has experiences and expertise in the areas of curriculum design, teacher training and cross cultural management training.
- PhD, Language Policy and Language Practice, Birkbeck College, London 2016
- Certificate in Teaching Chinese as a Foreign Language (Classroom Management) , Beijing Normal University, P.R. China, August, 2011
- Certificate in Teaching Chinese as a Foreign Language (pedagogy), Beijing language and Cultural University, P.R. China, April, 2008
- Certificate in Teaching Chinese as a Foreign Language (IT), Shanghai Normal University, P.R. China, August, 2006
- MPhil, Social Psychology and Education, University of Nottingham, UK, 1999
- Med, Second language education, University of Nottingham, UK, 1992
- PG Dip, Teaching English as a Foreign Language, Shanghai Jiaotong University, Shanghai, PRChina, 1990
- BA, English Language and Literature, Shandong Teachers' University, Jinan, People's Republic of China, 1982
Relevant Past Employment
- 2008 – 2014, Associate Head of Department of Language and Cross Cultural Studies, Pathway Leader in Chinese and Japanese, Principal Lecturer in Chinese
- 2005 – 2008, Subject Leader in Oriental Cultures and Business Development, European Business School London
- 1996 – 2005, Visiting lecturer in Chinese in School of Oriental and African Studies, University of London and in European Business School, London
- 1998 – 2003, Visiting lecturer in Chinese for FCO, for Imperial College, University of London to teach on its MSc Technical Translation programme
- 1985 – 1988, Lecturer in English, Shandong Teachers' University, People's Republic of China
- 1984 – 1985, lecturer of English , Shandong Mechanical College, Shandong, People's Republic of China
- 1982 - 1984, English language teacher, Dongying No. 1 Middle School
- Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (HEA)
- British Chinese Language Teaching Society (BCLTS, Chair from 2012-2014)
- British Association for Chinese Studies (BACS)
- The International Society for Chinese Language Teaching (ISCLT)
Teaching & Course Development
Linda is currently teaching on BA Level 6 Business Chinese.
The modules she has taught
- BA Business Chinese stage 1
- BA Business Chinese stage 2
- BA Business Chinese stage 3
- MA Doing Business in China
- MA Changing Geography
- MBA Cross Cultural Studies
- Chinese beginner I for evening class
- Chinese beginner II for evening class
- Chinese intermediate for evening class
- Chinese advanced for evening class
- BA Business Chinese stage 4
- BA Business Chinese stage 5
- BA Business Chinese stage 6
- BA Business Chinese level 6
- BA Chinese Speaking and Reading I
- BA Chinese speaking and Reading II
- MA Business Chinese I
- MA Doing Business in China
- MA Changing Geography (together with other colleagues)
- MBA Cross Cultural studies (together with other colleagues)
Apart from the courses she has developed, as the Programme Director of the BA International Business and Chinese studies, Linda has led the team developed 15 new modules in Chinese language and area studies.
Supervised several BA students' dissertations in the past few years.
- External examiner for University of Sussex Chinese language undergraduate modules (2011- date)
- External examiner for SOAS, University of London, diploma and Certificate in modern Chinese and in Teaching Chinese as a foreign Language ( 2012 - date)
- External examiner for Nottingham University undergraduate and post graduate Chinese language modules for Ningbo Campus, China, and Malaysia Campus (2008-2013)
- External examiner for Teesside University Business School, undergraduate Chinese language modules (2006-09)
- External examiner for University of West England Business School, Chinese language and Chinese Area Studies modules (2009-2011)
- External examiner for; Brunei University Language Centre, undergraduate Chinese Language modules (2006-09)
- Applied linguistics: Language acquisition and teaching; comparative linguistics; Language policy and language planning
- Teachers training
- Cross-cultural communications and cross-cultural business development with reference to China
- Li, L et al (2015) Teachers book for Chinese in Steps Vol. I, Sinolingua London.
- Li, L et al (2014) Chinese in Steps Vol. III (new edition), Sinolingua London.
- Li, L et al (2013) Chinese in Steps Vol. II (new edition), Sinolingua London.
- Li, L et al (2011) Chinese in Steps Vol. I (new edition), Sinolingua London
- Li, L & Zhang, G (2007) Advance Business Chinese Vol. I, London, Cypress Books UK Ltd.
- Li, Li & Zhang, G (2007) Advance Business Chinese Vol. 1, London, Cypress Books UK Ltd.
- Li, L (2014) Chinese Characters Teaching in Non-Chinese Major Courses in UK Universities. In Li, L. and Xing, M. ed., Chinese Language Teaching and Learning: Theories and Practice -Applied Chinese Language Studies V. London: Cypress Books Co UK Ltd. pp110-120
- Li, L., (2013) In Xing, M. and Li, L. ed., International English Transfer and Teaching Chinese as a Foreign Language. Chinese Language Teaching and Learning: Theories and Practice -Applied Chinese Language Studies III. London: Cypress Books Co UK Ltd.
- Li, L., (2012). Teaching Chinese as an International Language and University Chinese Language Teaching in UK. In: Li, H ed. 2012, Chinese Language Teaching in Universities Abroad in a Context of Globalisation. Shanghai: Shanghai Xuelin Publisher, pp21-39.
- Li, L & Zhang, G (2010) A Three CA Approach in the Teaching of Chinese and Material Development in the UK, in Selected Essays of First Tsinghua International Symposium on the Teaching of Chinese, Beijing, Beijing Foreign Language Studies Press, pp. 35-5
- Li, L & Zhang, G (2009) in Zhang, GX (eds), A Common Framework of Standards for Non-Major Chinese Courses in British Universities. Chinese Language Teaching and Learning -Applied Chinese Language Studies II. London, Cypress Books Co UK Ltd. 143-151
- Li, L &Zhang , G (2004) Chinese Learning and the Teaching with Adult Learners. In Selected Essays from Lijiang International Conference on Teaching Chinese as a Foreign Language August 2003, Wuhan, China, Wuhan University Press
- Li, L & Zhang X, 1995, Qualitative Evaluation and Research Methods. (Original by Patton, Michael Quinn, 1990), Translation, Laurel Publishing House, Taiwan
- Li, L & Zhang X, 1993, Training of Part-time Adult Educators: the English Experience (original by Daines, John and Graham, Brian, 1987), Translation, Beijing Adult Education, No.6 and No.7
- Li, L et al, 1989, Selected World Fairy-Tales. Translation, Shandong Friendship Publications, PRC
- Li, L & Zhang, G (2010) Chinese Language Teaching in the UK: Present and Future, Language Learning Journal. London: Routledge, Vol. 38, No 1, pp. 143-151
Teacher Training and guest lecture
- From November 2010 – now, teacher training on Business Chinese for the teaching training programme organized by London Confucius Institute for Business at the London School of Economics and Political Science, University of London
- Oct. 2015, teacher training for the Middle and East European Chinese Teachers Training Centre located at Lorand University, Budapest Hungary
- May 2015, guest lecture for the PGCE students, Dublin Confucius Institute
- Oct. 2014, teacher training for Dutch Chinese Teachers Association
- July 2014, Guest lecture for postgraduate students of international Chinese, China Minzu University
- January 2014, teacher training for EU teachers training workshop, Paris
- November 2013 , teacher training on Chinese learning and teaching Goldsmiths Confucius Institute For Dance and Performance, University of London
- May 2008, teacher training for the Teacher Training Programme organized by London Confucius Institute;
- 2008 to 2010, invited by SOAS to provide supervision to students on its Teachers Training Programme;
- October 2008 and 2009, help to design and delivered lectures for China UK graduate scheme training at Regents' University London.
Judge/inspection panel member
- May 2015, a Chinese and English language inspector for a government trilingual school in Abu Dhabi, UAE
- December 2011- now, a judge panel member for the Secondary School Chinese Speaking Competition （中学生汉语桥） jointly organized d by Chinese Embassy, British Council and HSBC
- November, 2014, a judge panel member for All UK weekend Chinese school students Speaking Competition
- June 2011, the Chair of judges for the First Business Chinese Speech Contest for Business People
- May 2003, a judge panel member for The Second All UK University Students Chinese Bridge Competition
- Li, L. 14 July 2014, interviewed by People’s Television, China on “The internationalization of Chinese Language Teaching” http://tv.people.com.cn/n/2014/0714/c239891-25279983.html
- Li, L, 10 July, interviewed by People.cn, China “Students learning Chinese increased by 153% in 10 years’ time” http://uk.people.com.cn/n/2014/0710/c352308-25263506.html
- Li, L. 30 November 2014, invited to deliver a training session on “Teaching Chinese character and vocabulary” for Dutch Chinese Education Association, Holland http://issuu.com/unitedtimes/docs/united_times_362_opt on page 121
- Li, L. 25 August 2014, invited to deliver a lecture on “Chinese Teaching in the UK” for the postgraduate students in Minzu University Beijing, China http://cie.muc.edu.cn/show.asp?id=407
- Li, L. 15 August 2014, news about visiting Xiehe College in China http://xx.sdnews.com.cn/xx/201408/t20140817_1701925.htm
- LI, L, news about Chinese teaching conference at Regent’s University London http://www.oushinet.com/sight/HD/20140710/145740.html
Interpretation and translation
She has translated over 200 DVD film subtitling with most of the films from Universal, Dreamwork, GMT and Disney into simplified, traditional Chinese and Cantonese. She has translated and voice over over 100 television programmes on company promotion profiles for London International Television Ltd. Companies featured include Berlitz, City Bank, Ernst & Young, Pfizer and so on. The subjects of the translation and interpretation cover banking, education, management training and law.
The most recent works completed: Confucius, 104 animation episodes, Cartoon Biography, and Selected Stories, Shenzhen Cherid TV and Media Ltd (2011).
Consultancy & briefing
August 2008, invited by University College Dublin as a subject specialist to give presentation on Chinese teaching and to advice on their Chinese programme for its Business Studies programmes
Over the past decades, she has delivered many briefings and presentations on cross culture communication or business development with regard to China to government bodies, multinational firms and other organisations, including the Foreign Office, HSBC, LITV, Pearson, China Britain Business Council, Great Britain China Centre, , GMAC Global Relocation Services, and Ogilvy & Mather etc. I also have advised on designing, delivering and managing management training programmes for Chinese managers and government officials, including the programme for Agricultural Bank of China at the EBSL.
Conference Papers Given
- Li, L, July 2015, Teachers’ Beliefs and Chinese Language Teaching in the Confucius Institute Classrooms, the 13th BCLTS International Conference on Chinese Language Learning and Teaching, Oxford University
- Li, L, May 2015, How Chinese is taught in Confucius Institute Classrooms, the 13th New York International Conference on Teaching Chinese Language and Culture
- Li, L, Language Policy and International Chinese Language Teaching in UK, a paper presented at the Fifth Annual Conference of Asia-Pacific Consortium of Teaching Chinese as an International Language, the University of Melbourne, August 2013
- Li, L, Chinese Character Teaching in University Chinese Language courses, a paper presented at the 11th BCLTS International Symposium on Chinese Language Learning and Teaching, Nottingham University, July 2013
- Li, L, L1 Negative and Positive Transfer in L2 Acquisition, a paper presented at the 10th BCLTS International Symposium on Chinese Language Learning and Teaching, central Lancashire University, July 2012
- Li, L, An Alternative Approach to the Teaching of Chinese as a Foreign Language – a paper presented at Liege University, Belgium, January 2012.
- Li, L, Business Chinese revised - a paper presented at the 9th BCLTS International Symposium on Chinese Language Learning and Teaching, Edinburgh University, July 2011
- Li, L & Zhang G, On Teaching of Chinese and Chinese Teachers in the UK, a paper presented at the 10th International Symposium on the Teaching of Chinese by the ISCLT, Shenyang, China, August 2010. The paper won the Innovative Dissertation Award of the conference.
- Li, L & Zhang G, Second Language Teaching and the Teaching of Chinese, a paper presented at the 8th BCLTS International Symposium on Chinese Language Learning and Teaching, Cardiff, UK, June 2009.
- Li, L & Zhang G, What can be learned from English Language teaching history: Some thoughts on the Development Chinese Language Teaching, the 7th BCLTS International Symposium on Chinese Language Learning and Teaching, Sheffield, UK, June 2009.
- Li, L & Zhang G, Benchmarking non major Chinese with reference to CEF, the 6th BCLTS International Symposium on Chinese Language Learning and Teaching, SOAS, UK, July 2008.
- Li, L, Learning Chinese Characters, Conference of Mainstreaming Chinese, the Institute of Education, University of London, June 2008.
- Li, L, Teaching Spoken Chinese in EBS, British Chinese Language Teachers Society's annual conference in Westminster University, April 2007.
- Li, L, Teaching Chinese to Non- Chinese Background Students, Conference on Teaching of Chinese, Central Lancaster University, Nov 2007.
- Li, L & Zhang X, June 2004, A Language Framework for Chinese, CILT conference at SOAS, University of London
- Li, L & Zhang X, April 2004, Common European Framework and Its Implications for Chinese Language Teaching in the UK, British Chinese language teachers Seminar at SOAS, University of London
- Li, L, September 2003, Textbooks for the Teaching of Chinese, a UK perspective, British Chinese language teachers Seminar at Oxford University
- Li, L & Zhang X, July, 2002, Chinese Language Teaching for English Adult Speakers, the 7th International Symposium on Teaching Chinese as a Foreign Language, Beijing
- Li, L, April 1995, Women and Women Academics in China, a paper presented to the women academics conference in Central Lancashire University
- 2015, £10,000 grants awarded by China State Administration of Foreign Experts Affairs for research on language policy as one of the research team member of Beijing Language and Culture University, PR China
- 2007, £1920 grants awarded by EBS LTC for research on project of cultural study
- 2006, £800 grants awarded by EBS LTC for composing Book III & IV, Chinese in Steps
- 2005, £800 for composing Book I & II, Chinese in Steps
Last updated: 20 December 2017