Subject(s): Languages and Culture
Mrs Michelle Rawson joined Regent’s University London in 1992. Since then, she has been teaching French at all levels in the undergraduate programme. She also shows a keen interest in Learning and Teaching research projects.
- Diploma in teaching French as a foreign language (DIMAV), University of Poitiers, France, 1989
- Masters programme, University of Oregon, School of Journalism, USA, 1988
- MA (equivalent), Maîtrise, English civilisation, University of Poitiers, 1987
- BA (equivalent), Licence, English, University of Poitiers, 1986
- Diploma in Finance and Accountancy, University of Poitiers, 1981
Relevant Past Employment
1989-1992, Freelance French teacher for two London based language schools, teaching business clients (including Banks, Department of Trade and Industry, Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food)
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
Teaching & Course Development
Currently module leader and lecturer in French for business stage 2 and 5 on the undergraduate programme.
- Read a number of papers to maintain my interest in the scholarship of Learning and Teaching foreign languages, in my case French.
Slimani-Rolls A. & Rawson, M. (2015)“Enabling teachers and learners of French to understand better their classroom life”. La Linguistique du Français vernaculaire: analyses synchroniques, perspectives diachroniques et applications didactiques. Association of French Language Studies (AFLS), Caen, France. 17-19 June.
Conference Papers Given
2015 Poster Presentation “Why do students use English in French classes? Does it impact negatively on their learning?” Regent’s University London (Regent’s Institute of Languages and Culture). “Empowering Learning and Teaching in the Classroom”. 22nd May. London
Awarded funding from the Learning, Teaching and Research Committee at EBSL/Regent's University London for collaborative projects:
- 2014-2016, Co-researcher of “Developing Language Teacher Research”, a two-year research project for RILC staff headed by Dr Assia Rolls
- 2009 – 2010, “The role and impact of CPD into teacher effectiveness – Systematic investigation into their work”, led by A. Rolls with V. Krishnan, G. Paul and M. Rawson
- 2006 – 2007, “Strategic interactions: an innovative approach in the Teaching and Learning of the target language”, R. Bejjani, P. Merlin and M. Rawson
- 2004 – 2005, “Development of a research culture through the promotion of a better use of the Language Resources Centre (LRC)”, A. Rolls, V. Alfaro-Plaza, J. Collins, E. Lecumberri and M. Rawson
- 2003 – 2004, “Exploratory study of the use of Language Resources Centre (LRC)”, J. Collins and M. Rawson