Faculty: Institute of Languages and Culture
Renata is a qualified German linguist with proven capabilities and qualifications in language tuition, project management and translation. A native German and French speaker, Renata has over 20 years extensive experience in adult language teaching, of which 14 are in the Higher Education sector.
She has taught MBA students at London Business School and King’s College London and has been a German lecturer at Regent’s University since 2002 and SPA academic advisor since 2008. Her strength has been curriculum design for international business modules and a strong interactive and student focussed tuition. She has also initiated intercultural, interdisciplinary projects with a view to strengthen cross university collaboration.
Prior to this, her key achievement in the translation sector was working with the late Douglas Adams, the creator of the cult science-fiction series Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. She co-wrote and translated over 13 hours of German dialogue of his CD-ROM game Starship Titanic and managed the entire German-French-Japanese localisation process. The German version of the game received an excellent review by 'Der Spiegel'.
Renata also worked on many DVD subtitling projects and consulted the BBC on German related TV programmes.
In 2013, she finished translating and editing the Penguin German Phrase book.
- Foundation diploma in Psychotherapy, Regent’s College London, 2009
- Diploma of Translation, Institute of Linguists, London, 1996
- M.A. in History of Art, University of Louvain, Belgium, 1987
- B.A. in Philosophy, University of Louvain, Belgium, 1985
Relevant Past Employment
- 2002 – Present: Lecturer and German SPA coordinator for BAIB and BAIEM Programme, European Business School/Regent’s University London
- 2002 – 2012: German lecturer for evening classes and business MBA, King’s College, London Business School
- 2002 – 2009: Translator and editor of German material for TV programmes, (i.e. Newsnight, The Anatomists, D-Day in Berlin), Channel Four, BBC
- 2002 – 2008: Subtitling : Visiontext Subtitling, European Captioning Institute, Broadcast Text
- 1999 – 2001: Localisation Project Manager, US based software company Aspect Communications
- 1997 – 1999: Translator and Localisation Manager, Douglas Adams’ technology start-up The Digital Village
- 1992 – 1997: German and French Language Consultant and teacher
- 1988 – 1991: Director’s Assistant, Department of Culture, Belgian government
HEA Fellowship, 2014
Teaching & Course Development
At Regent’s University:
- Module leader on BAIB, BAIEM and Foundation German business language courses from stage 1 to 6
- Lecturer on German evening class programme
- Consultant on Belgian cultural briefings to Regent’s MBA students
- Participated in Erasmus teaching mobility scheme with partner university KUE Ingolstadt
Language acquisition and multilingualism, psychology of learning, cross-cultural studies, translation studies, cultural memory and identity
Translated and co-edited
The Penguin German Phrasebook: Fourth Edition (Phrase Book, Penguin) by Norman, Jill, Hitchin, Ute, Henkes, Renata (2013) Paperback
- translated and edited the Penguin German phrasebook, 2013
- curated video exhibition about Cultural diversity at Regent’s University, 2012
- curated exhibition about Fall of the Berlin Wall at Regent’s University, 2009
- translated and adapted the German audio guides for the British Museum’s highlight tour, 2008
- consulted the BBC on German related TV programmes, 2003
- project managed multilingual software and multimedia projects, 2001
- translated the German version of the CD-ROM game Starship Titanic and its companion website by Douglas Adams, 1999
Last updated: 01 March 2018