EU, EEA and Swiss Nationals

Freedom of movement to the UK for EU/EEA/Swiss nationals and their family members ends as of 01 January 2021. This means there will be restrictions on the ability to travel, live and study in the UK for these nationals where there have previously been none.

Anyone who enters the UK on or before 23:00 on 31 December 2020 will be eligible to apply to live in the UK under the EU Settlement Scheme. This is free to apply to and offers many of the same freedoms that EU nationals currently receive.

Anyone who enters the UK for the first time from 01 January 2021 onwards will need to enter on a Student Visa.

What is the EU Settlement Scheme?

The EU Settlement Scheme is the system introduced by the UK Government which allows EU, EEA and Swiss nationals already in the country the right to continue to reside, work and study freely inside the UK. 

This is only available for those who enter the UK before 31 December 2020. The EU Settlement Scheme is not an automatic process and if you wish to receive its benefits then you must apply for it yourself. You can apply for it up until 30 June 2021, provided you enter the UK on or before 31 December 2020.

Who is eligible for the scheme?

  • EU nationals with a valid passport
  • Citizens of Norway, Liechtenstein, Iceland and Switzerland 
  • An eligible family member of a national from the previous two categories

Entering the UK from 01 January

If you are unable to enter the UK before 01 January 2021, or have not previously been in the UK, then you will need to apply for a visa under the new Student Visa route. The Admissions team will have been in contact with you regarding the steps you will need to take and you can see further details about this on the Visas and Immigration welcome page. 

If you plan to enter from 01 January 2021 and have not been contacted regarding your visa, then you should contact [email protected] urgently.

Contact us

The Student Immigration & Compliance Services are available to provide help and support to all international students. Please contact our advisor at [email protected] to receive further guidance and support if you require it. 

If you obtain status under the EU Settlement Scheme or an alternative visa route, please inform the University and provide a copy of your documents so that we can update our records.