Student and lecturer discussing an assignment

Disability & Mental Health

We offer advice, support and guidance to current and prospective students. Our aim is to improve access and navigate any barriers to learning. 

If a disability affects your ability to participate in your chosen course or in campus life, tell us about it as soon as possible, so that we can meet your individual needs with a Student Support Agreement. 

Please contact the Senior Support & Welfare Officer.

Who do we support?

You are considered to be disabled under the Equality Act 2010 if you have a physical, neurological, developmental or mental impairment that has a ‘substantial’ and ‘long-term’ negative effect on your ability to do normal daily activities. For a student, 'normal day-to-day activities' might include taking notes, writing, researching, reading large amounts of text and moving between multiple locations. 

This includes people who: 

  • Have a specific learning difficulty, such as dyslexia
  • Have a hearing impairment
  • Have a visual impairment
  • Have a physical disability, and/or mobility difficulties
  • Have a long term health condition, such as epilepsy, HIV
  • Have an autism spectrum condition, such as Asperger’s
  • Have a mental health condition, such as depression

This list is not exhaustive. Contact the Senior Support & Welfare Officer to discover how we can support you.

How we can help

Specific learning difficulties


Mental health difficulties

Long-term health conditions

Autistic spectrum conditions

Temporary disabilities or ill health

Campus Accessibility Map

Confidentiality and disclosure


How to disclose a disability

Deadlines for exams

Funding available

Disabled Students Allowance (DSA) is only available to UK nationals or those with settled status so the information here is not applicable to EU and International Students.

Depending on your needs, DSA could help with the cost of:

  • Computer equipment although you will need to pay £200 towards this.
  • Specialist assistive software to help with reading, writing, planning and organising work.
  • One-to-one support with a specialist mentor.
  • One to one support from a study skills tutor.

Funding available

What is Disabled Students Allowance (DSA)?

Why should I apply?

Am I eligible for DSA?

How do I apply for DSA?

What happens next?

Study Needs Assessment: what happens next?

Is there any other funding?

About us

Contact us

Senior Support & Welfare Officer
Room: Acland 004 (opposite Student Union)
Tel: 0207 487 7863 Email: [email protected]

SpLD specialist: Caroline Kirrane

Disability Services Committee

The Disability Services Committee was launched in October 2008 and meets twice a year to discuss disability related issues at Regent’s. The Committee subscribes to the social model of disability. Terms of Reference, membership and Agendas and minutes of meetings are available to staff and students (Regent's login required)

Disability Policy

Read our Disability Policy to learn about the University's commitment to embedding a culture of inclusion for students with disabilities, specific learning difficulties, mental health conditions or long term health conditions.