We aim to support you to enjoy a healthy and balanced life and can refer you to appropriate health-care services at times of ill health.

Working collaboratively both within the University and with outside organisations, our Student Services team, Disability Officer and qualified first aiders all aim to ensure that you have easy access to information about health and appropriate services.

Medical treatment

Medical treatment in the UK is free to all European Union (EU) citizens and full-time students studying for more than six months. However, to gain your entitlement it is vital that you register with a local NHS doctor.

Student Services can help you with this process when you arrive. All students must pay for ophthalmic and dental care on the NHS.

The NHS website gives ‘Information for visitors to England’, see:

The British Council also gives information on health and medical insurance:

Regent's University London does not have a medical centre on campus. The nearest National Health Service (NHS) provider, Marylebone Health Centre , is five minutes walk away. There are also several nearby local private medical providers. 

Any international student studying at the University for less than six months should take out medical insurance. This should cover the cost of non-urgent medical appointments and any required treatment.

Important information about vaccinations

We recommend that you are up-to-date with all vaccinations before coming to university. Some illnesses that spread quickly amongst large groups of people can be easily prevented by vaccinations given routinely to children and young adults.

Meningitis and septicaemia

If you were born after September 1995, you should have received a MenC vaccine as a child. However, over time your immunity to the disease will have decreased. You're also more at risk of getting meningitis just after starting university as you will be mixing closely with lots of people who may unknowingly be carrying the meningococcal bacteria.

NHS England and Public Health England have released important information on the new vaccinations for first-time university entrants. This new vaccine replaces the previous ManC ‘freshers’ programme. The Government recommends that new university starters born after September 1995 should receive the Meningitis ACWY vaccination before starting university in September. Older students who had the vaccine at school will still be protected and shouldn't need a booster.

This NHS leaflet provides more information regarding meningitis and septicaemia. All NHS entitled students can receive this vaccine from Marylebone Health Centre service is available to all NHS entitled students, irrespective of where they live.

If you are unsure whether you have had any of these vaccinations then you should ask your doctor.

Accident & Emergency treatment

All EU /non-EU citizens resident in the UK are entitled to receive accident and emergency hospital care free of charge, although some non-EU citizens may be charged for treatment of pre-existing conditions.

The nearest NHS Accident & Emergency Department is at University College London Hospital on Euston Road.

Medical insurance

Even though you may be covered for some services from the NHS, the University recommends all students to take out appropriate medical insurance to cover any medical expenses that may occur in the UK and abroad.

Any international student studying at the University for less than six months should have taken out medical insurance to cover any required treatment.  

Travel insurance

You should also take out travel insurance that will cover you until you arrive at University and for any excursions you decide to do, both during and after your stay with us.

Immigration Health Surcharge (I.H.S.)

The I.H.S. is a financial contribution to the UK’s National Health Service. It is not a form of medical insurance. You must pay the surcharge if you are a non-EEA national and are granted immigration permission to enter the UK to study for a time-limited period of more than six months. You also must pay the surcharge if you are a non- EEA national already in the UK and wish to apply to extend your stay.

The I.H.S. is applied to immigration applications made on or after 6 April 2015. The I.H.S. is paid when you make your visa application. The current rate is £150 for each period of 12 months leave granted. From 8 January 2019, the rate will rise to £300. Any student submitting their visa application on or after 8 January will be required to pay the new fee. 

Once you have paid the surcharge, this means you are then able to use the National Health Service (NHS). You will still need to pay for certain types of services however, e.g. prescriptions, dental care and eye care. You will not be required to quote your I.H.S number when visiting the hospital or doctor.

Further information is available on the Home Office website. 

Also in this section

Student life
Student Union
Services and support

Events and activities
Sport at Regent's