Immigration Advice and Guidance

Student Immigration and Compliance Services (SICS) helps students by providing immigration and visa advice

Student Immigration Advice Service

The Student Immigration and Compliance Services (SICS) are separated into two teams that provide immigration advice and guidance to staff and students in line with the rules and regulations set by UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI).

Our Student Advice Service provides free and confidential advice and information on UK immigration-related matters to prospective and current students, as well as recent graduates.

Regent's Immigration Advisors are:

  • Student Immigration Advisor
  • Senior Student Immigration and Compliance Officer
  • Assistant Registrar - Student Immigration and Compliance Services

We are legally permitted to offer immigration advice in accordance with:

Please note that the Student Immigration Advice Service are the only members of the University that are legally permitted to offer immigration advice to students. The Student Immigration Advisors operate within our Conditions of Service.​

How we advise


To get advice by email, please contact us at [email protected]. Please note we aim to respond to all emails within 2-3 working days.


If you would like to seek advice from us in person, please contact the Hub via email at [email protected] or telephone +44 (0) 207 487 7453.

We expect you to arrive on time for your appointment. If you arrive more than 10 minutes late, we may not be able to see you, as this will impact our appointment schedule.

If you need to cancel your appointment, please contact us, [email protected] as soon as possible.

We reserve the right to limit or withdraw our service if you constantly arrive late or fail to attend appointments.

Student Immigration Compliance

Our Student Immigration Compliance team oversees the University’s responsibilities as a Tier 4 sponsor.

Our Student Immigration Compliance team oversees the University’s responsibilities as a Tier 4 sponsor in line with UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) requirements. This includes:

  • Issuing Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) to current students (and applicants applying within the UK), who fulfil the CAS eligibility requirements and need to apply for a new Tier 4 visa during their studies
  • Student Registration
  • Recording and monitoring passport and visa details
  • Reporting student status changes to the Home Office
  • Reviewing Break in Studies and Internal Transfer requests for Tier 4 students
  • Auditing student files
  • Liaising with our Premium Account Manager at the UKVI
  • Monitor student attendance.

As a prospective or current Tier 4 student it is important that you understand and comply with the conditions of your visa during the duration of your visa. Non-compliance of your Tier 4 visa conditions could mean withdrawal from your studies and a breach in visa conditions, and this is likely to be reported to UKVI.

Both Regent's University London and you have some key responsibilities to adhere to. You should read the Tier 4 Compliance Reminder leaflet.

Police Registration

You may be required to register with the police within 7 days of arrival in the UK. Upon successful registration you will be provided with a Police Registration Certificate (PRC) which you will need to keep up-to-date for the duration of your stay.

Do you need to register?

Depending on your nationality and the length of time you will be staying in the UK, you may be required to register with the police, as a condition of your immigration permission.

A list of countries whose nationals may be required to register can be found in Appendix 2 of the Immigration Rules.

You'll be told if you need to register with the police on one of the following documents:

  • Entry visa vignette (if you’re travelling to the UK)
  • Biometric residence permit (BRP)
  • Home Office letter that approved your application for leave

If you receive a new BRP, are granted a visa extension or if there is a change to your immigration status in the UK you will also need to update the police within seven days. Your address, passport and other personal information must also be kept up-to-date with the police for the duration of your stay in the UK.

How to register?

You must make a booking online for an appointment at the Metropolitan Police Overseas Visitors Records Office (OVRO). Your appointment may not be within the 7 days but provided you have booked your appointment within 7 days and attend as scheduled then you will meet the registration requirement.

You will need to register with the OVRO if you are:

  • Registering in the UK for the first time
  • Have registered with another police force and have moved into the London area for the first time
  • If you have lost, damaged or had your Police Registration Certificate stolen and need to obtain a new one

You must supply the following:

  • Original passport
  • 1 x passport sized photograph (must be in colour, 45mm x 35mm and pasted to the completed proforma prior to attending – Do not staple it)
  • Completed OCR Registration Proforma - the Proforma must be completed electronically, not by hand, (until you write your signature at the bottom). Download the OCR Registration Proforma form
  • £34.00 registration fee, payable by card or sterling cash
  • Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) - if applicable. If you made your immigration application in the UK, you will also need to take the letter which was sent to you with your passport when your application was approved
  • Any Home Office letters you may have been issued in the UK or overseas (if applicable) 

Your registration will not be processed if you do not supply all of the above documents.

All students are subject to a security check on arrival. Do not carry any sharp objects and attend the office with minimal baggage. If you are found to be carrying a knife or sharp bladed instrument this will be reported to the police and you could be arrested.

Keeping your Police Registration Certificate up-to-date

After you have registered with the police, you are required to book an appointment within 7 days to notify them of any change in circumstance or a new visa. 

The Overseas Visitors Records Office explains which changes should be reported, how soon to report them – whether it is 7 or 8 days, and where to report the change. In some cases you may be required to report your change of circumstances to a local police station instead of the OVRO. Please check the OVRO website to find out where to report any such changes.

You should keep your Police Registration Certificate in a safe place. If you lose your certificate, you are required to get a new one from the OVRO as soon as you notice your certificate is lost.

Failure to register

If your immigration permission required you to register with the police, it is a condition to register and keep your Police Registration Certificate up to date. Failure to comply with your immigration permission is a criminal offence.

Failure to register could lead to a £5,000 fine, a prison sentence, recommendation of deportation or a 10-year ban on entering the UK.

In addition, if you register after the deadline or do not update your registration certificate within the time required, this could have an impact on any future UK immigration permission you apply for. You should therefore, register as soon as possible.

More information about police registration can be found on the UK Government website and Metropolitan Police website.

EU & EEA Students

This section provides information and guidance to our prospective and current students who are citizens from the EU & EEA (including Switzerland), about their right to live, work and/or study in the UK following the decision to leave the EU, ‘Brexit’.

We appreciate many students may be feeling concerned and anxious about the impact that Brexit will have on EU & EEA citizens in the UK. Therefore, we have tried to provide as much information and guidance as possible. We recommend reading the external links outlined on this page for further information, especially The UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA) website on the EU Settlement Scheme.

The European Union, UK Government and UK Parliament, have agreed that there will be a flexible extension to change the date of Brexit to 31 January 2020. However, the UK could leave earlier than 31 January if a withdrawal agreement is ratified by the UK and EU before this date.

The UK and the EU have negotiated an agreement to take effect as soon as the UK leaves the EU. This is known as the ‘Withdrawal Agreement’, but as yet, the UK Parliament has not approved this and discussion is ongoing about potential changes to the Withdrawal Agreement.

We would recommend signing up for email alerts related to UK Visas and Immigration and the EU Settlement scheme on the UK Government website.

EU Settlement Scheme

On 21 June 2018 the Home Office published details of the Settlement scheme for EU citizens.

The deadline for applying will be 30 June 2021, or 31 December 2020 if the UK leaves the EU without a deal.

The UK Government provides further information about this, including the two types of statuses, ‘settled’ and ‘pre-settled’ status for EU citizens and their families.

You can also find Home Office guidance on the EU Settlement Scheme: Statement of Intent.

The UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA) published some very useful information for students on the EU Settlement Scheme.

You must ensure you meet the requirements and have the correct documentation before applying for the Settlement scheme, as it is an immigration application. A refusal can have implications to your immigration history, so it is important to ensure you read the guidance available before applying. provide very useful information about how to apply for settled status. They also provide a YouTube video on the EU settled status application scheme walk-through.

If you would like advice and support on applying, please ensure to seek specialist immigration advice. The UK Government provides information on finding an immigration adviser.

Student Finance England Funding

The UK Government has confirmed that EU students applying for university places to start their course in the 2018-19 and 2019-20 academic years will remain eligible for financial support for the duration of their course, even if the course end date is after the UK’s exit from the EU.

Further information

The UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA) provide lots of information and links for EU & EEA students, including: Brexit: what we know for EEA students and their family. They also provide a useful flyer with advice on post-Brexit rules and entitlements.

Regent's University London is supportive of EU citizens in the UK and wants to ensure that we support our students in the best possible way as we go through this uncertain time. We advise that you continue to check this page for updates. You may also find some of our international student web pages useful too.

The Student Immigration Advice Service is not currently offering appointments for assisting with EU Settlement scheme applications or providing extensive advice, but this may change in the near future. In the meantime, if you are concerned and would like further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us at [email protected].

Visiting the Schengen Area

You may want to visit other European countries whilst studying on a Tier 4 visa at Regent’s University London but you will likely need a visa in order to do so. The Schengen area covers 26 countries and you can get one visa to visit them all. 

Schengen Visa

The Schengen Visa gives non-EU/EEA nationals the ability to visit multiple countries in the Schengen area for a maximum of 90 days in a 180 day period (short-stay visa) or transit through the area (airport transit visa). It’s a great opportunity for Tier 4 students to travel to other European countries while you’re in the UK.

Which countries does a Schengen Visa cover?

The Schengen area covers the following countries: Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Latvia, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Sweden, Slovenia, Slovakia, Switzerland and Spain.

Be aware that the Schengen Visa does NOT cover all EU countries. Should you wish to travel to Ireland, Romania, Bulgaria, Cyprus or Croatia then you would need a separate visa. Please refer to the embassy website of the country you plan to visit for further information.

Do I need a Schengen Visa?

If you are a non-EU/EEA national then you will require a Schengen Visa to visit or transit through the Schengen area. If you believe you have another form of eligibility (e.g. you are a family member of an EU/EEA national) then please check with the embassy of the country you intend to visit.

There are currently some nationalities who are exempt from getting a Schengen visa for a short term stay but this can change frequently so be sure to check before you travel. 

Nationals from the following countries do not currently require a Schengen Visa*: 
Albania, Andorra, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Australia, Bahamas, Barbados, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brazil, Brunei, Canada, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Dominica, El Salvador, North Macedonia, Georgia, Grenada, Guatemala, Holy See, Honduras, Hong Kong, Israel, Japan, Kiribati, Malaysia, Marshall Islands, Mauritius, Mexico, Micronesia, Moldova, Monaco, Montenegro, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Palau, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Samoa, San Marino, Seychelles, Serbia, Singapore, Solomon Islands, South Korea, St Kitts and Nevis, St Lucia, St Vincent and the Grenadines, Timor-Leste, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Tuvalu, Ukraine, United Arab Emirates, United States of America, Uruguay, Vanuatu, Venezuela.
*Information correct as of 24 April 2019. Please check the European Commission website  for up to date information. 

Where to apply

You should apply at the embassy of the country you intend to spend the most time in. 

If you plan on traveling between several countries across an equal amount of time then you should apply to the embassy of the country which you will visit first.

When to apply

You can apply for your visa up to three months before you are due to travel. There is no deadline on applications but the application process takes around 15 days. You will not be able to enter the Schengen Area without the visa approved so you are advised to submit your application at least 15 days before you intend to travel. 

An appointment will be required to submit your application so be sure to check with the relevant Consulate or Embassy ahead of your visit.

Applications from certain countries may take up to 60 days to process so you are advised to submit your application at the earliest opportunity.

What documents do I need to apply?

The exact documents which you need varies according to the embassy you apply to. The following documents are required for every country:

  1. Passport
    • This must have two blank pages and be valid for at least three months after you intend to leave the Schengen area.
    • Some countries require your passport to be valid for at least six months, so check this with the embassy.
  2. Completed Application Form
  3. Recent passport standard photo x 2
  4. Visa fee - €60 per person
    • An additional service fee may be required by the embassy
  5. Evidence of being a student at Regent’s University London
    • You can request this via the Student Hub  – Document Request
  6. Valid medical insurance
  7. Proof of funds for the visit
    • Bank statements
    • Amount varies by country but can be as much as €120/day. Check with the embassy
  8. Proof of purpose for visit 
    • Accommodation booking/reservation or details of a specific tour itinerary
    • Formal invitation letter from a friend/family member – this may need to be verified by local authorities
    • Booked return travel may be required. If you intend to return to the UK, ensure your visa will still be valid.
  9. Your UK BRP or visa vignette if applying in London

Check the website of the relevant embassy to see which documentation is required for your application. You should take your application documents with you when you travel as you can be asked to demonstrate your eligibility at the border.

Things to bear in mind

  • You should keep your passport, visa and application documents with you when travelling into the Schengen area and between countries. There may not be a check at the border but you could still be asked to prove your eligibility to enter a country.
  • If you intend to work or study in Schengen area then you should check what type of visa you will require with the embassy of that country.
  • If you intend to leave and then re-enter the Schengen area then you should obtain a multiple-entry visa.
  • You should take your BRP or visa with you when you travel in order to be able to re-enter the UK.
  • If you attempt to re-enter the UK after you have completed your studies but before your Tier 4 visa expires you may be questioned by the Home Office about why you are returning and could be refused entry. 

Further Information

Working in the UK

In most cases international students on a Tier 4 visa are allowed to do some work whilst studying in the UK. You should check your visa/Biometrics Residence Permit (BRP) and expect to see a condition that allows work, but with restrictions.

Students in the UK studying on a Short-Term Study visa or a General Visitor Visa are not allowed to work in the UK.

Working in the UK during your studies

As an international student studying at Regent’s University London on a Tier 4 (General) Student visa, you have certain restrictions to abide by.

This section will focus specifically on the amount of work you can undertake during your studies, as well as the type of work that is not permitted.

In any case, if you are uncertain about whether you will breach any Tier 4 regulations, please contact the Student Immigration and Compliance Services (SICS) department for further advice.

Your work conditions, including the maximum hours you can work during term time, are normally printed on your visa sticker or Biometric Residence Permit (BRP).

If you are studying at degree level and above


If you are studying a course below degree level


20 hours maximum per week during term time

10 hours maximum per week during term time

Note: This includes work, paid or unpaid, for one or more companies.

This also applies to you, if you are undertaking your dissertation module or you have re-sits or re-submissions.


Note: This includes work, paid or unpaid, for one or more companies.

This also applies to you, if you have re-sits or re-submissions.


A ‘week’ is defined as ‘a period of 7 days beginning with a Monday’.

Work placements, which are considered to be an assessed part of your course, do not count towards these hours and can be full time.

However, during official vacation periods, you are allowed to work full-time. Term and vacation dates differ depending on the level and programme of study you are undertaking so it is important you check before undertaking full-time work. If you want to work more than your usual restricted hours, your employer is required by law to check with Regent’s University that you are on vacation. If in doubt, please contact the Student Hub, or refer to the Academic Calendar for clarification.

If you are not allowed to work in the UK, you must not work in term time or during vacation periods.

In some cases students may not be allowed to work if their visa/BRP states: ‘No work’ or ‘Work prohibited’. If you have this on your visa/BRP, or you believe your working hours are incorrect, please get in touch with the Student Immigration Advisor to look into this with you as soon as possible.

It is a breach of your immigration status and a criminal offence if you are found to be working more than your weekly limit, or when you are not permitted to do so. You can be penalised with a fine of £5,000 and/or up to six months’ imprisonment and you would be liable to removal from the UK. You could also be banned from returning to the UK for at least 12 months.

Types of work you cannot undertake:

Tier 4 Students have certain restrictions to the types of work they can undertake.

You cannot:

  • be self-employed
  • engage in any business activity
  • take a permanent full-time job
  • be employed as a professional sportsperson including as a sports coach
  • be employed as an entertainer
  • be in a permanent full-time job
  • work as a doctor or dentist in training

Students who have completed their course:

If you have completed your course, you can work full-time during the remainder of your Tier 4 visa. The same limitations to the types of work as listed above apply.

Completion of your course means either the end date of your course as stated on your Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) or if you complete your course later, or earlier than that date, the date that the award board agrees your award.

National Insurance

As an international student you must pay National Insurance (NI) contributions if you work in the UK, in the same way as a UK citizen. Therefore you only need to apply for a NI number if you plan to work in the UK.

You need to apply for a NI number by phone:

National Insurance number application line
Telephone: 0800 141 2075 
Textphone: 0800 141 2438
Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm

You can start work before your NI number arrives if you can prove you can work in the UK – your Biometrics Residence Permit (BRP) will state your work conditions.

As soon as you receive your NI number, you should provide this to your employer.

Find out more about National Insurance.

Brexit information

A three month Brexit extension has been granted by the European Union until 31 January 2020, with the option for the UK to leave earlier if a deal is ratified. 

We appreciate the ongoing uncertainty surrounding Brexit is likely to be a cause of concern and frustration for many members of our University community, and we would like to assure you that Regent’s will do everything in our power to support our staff and students (both current and prospective) no matter what the outcome. Further information for EU & EEA students can be found under the tab on this page.

A source of great pride for this University is our international community – our staff and students come from more than 140 countries across the globe. We are one of the most internationally diverse universities in the UK, in the heart of London – arguably one of the most internationally diverse cities in the world. We don’t envisage this changing any time soon. 

We understand our staff and students will have many questions about what Brexit will mean for them personally. These pages offer immigration advice and guidance, and provide links to further information. You may also find the Universities UK Brexit FAQs a useful source of information.

If you’re an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen, the Home Office has published details on how you and your family can apply to the EU Settlement Scheme to continue living in the UK.

The UK government has provided guidance on changes that will affect citizens. Use the information provided to find out how to prepare, and the steps you may need to take.

As an independent, not-for-profit institution, Regent’s sets its own fees, which are the same for all nationalities. This means there’s no uncertainty as to what EU students’ fees will be in the future. We are also not heavily reliant on EU research grants. 

We will continue planning for all variety of Brexit outcomes to ensure we can deliver the most pertinent support to those who need it, including the residence of staff and students. We will also continue to work with other universities, students and higher education sector bodies to further understand the impact of Brexit on the work of our University, staff and students.

We will do all we can to ensure we provide the advice and support you need, and will remain in touch with the University community as Brexit continues to unfold.