You may be required to register with the police within 7 days of arrival in the UK.

Do you need to register?

Depending on your nationality and the length of time you will be staying in the UK, you may be required to register with the police, as a condition of your immigration permission.

A list of countries whose nationals may be required to register can be found in Appendix 2 of the Immigration Rules.

You'll be told if you need to register with the police on one of the following documents:

  • your entry visa vignette (if you’re travelling to the UK),
  • your biometric residence permit (BRP),
  • the Home Office letter that approved your application for leave.

You must also register with the police within 7 days of receiving your new BRP if you are granted an extension or new immigration permission in the UK.

How to register?

You must visit the Overseas Visitors Records Office (OVRO). Please check their website for opening times. Please be aware that between September to November there are usually long queues at OVRO.

If you are:

  • Registering for the first time,
  • If you have registered with another police force and have moved into the London area for the first time,
  • If you have lost, damaged or had your Police Registration Certificate stolen and wish to obtain a new one.

You must supply the following:

  • Original passport
  • 1 x passport sized photograph (Must be in colour, 45mm x 35mm and pasted to the completed proforma prior to attending – Do not staple it.)
  • Completed OCR Registration Proforma - The Proforma must be completed electronically, not by hand, (until you write your signature at the bottom). Download the OCR Registration Proforma form here
  • £34.00 registration fee, payable by card or sterling cash
  • Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) - if applicable. If you made your immigration application in the UK, you will also need to take the letter which was sent to you with your passport when your application was approved. 
  • Any Home Office letters you may have been issued in the UK or overseas (if applicable) 

***Your registration will not be processed if you do not supply all of the above documents***

All students are subject to a security check on arrival. Do not carry any sharp objects and attend the office with minimal baggage. If you are found to be carrying a knife or sharp bladed instrument this will be reported to the police and you could be arrested.

Keeping your Police Registration Certificate up-to-date

After you have registered with the police, you are required to notify them of any change in circumstances or a new visa.

The Overseas Visitors Records Office webpage explains which changes should be reported, how soon to report them – whether it is 7 or 8 days, and where to report the change.

You should keep your Police Registration Certificate in a safe place. If you lose your certificate, you are required to get a new one from the OVRO as soon as you notice your certificate is lost.

Failure to register

If your immigration permission required you to register with the police, it is a condition to register and keep your Police Registration Certificate up to date. Failure to comply with your immigration permission is a criminal offence.

Failure to register could lead to a £5,000 fine, a prison sentence, recommendation of deportation or a 10-year ban on entering the UK.

In addition, if you register after the deadline or do not update your registration certificate within the time required, this could have an impact on any future UK immigration permission you apply for. You should therefore, register as soon as possible.

More information about police registration can be found on the UK Government website and Metropolitan Police website.