Tier 4 (General) Student Visa

For overseas students who are studying for 6 months or longer

Tier 4 (General) student visa

You must apply online for a Tier 4 (General) student visa from your country of residence if:

  • You are going to study in the UK for the first time
  • You have completed studies in the UK but do not meet the academic progression rules to make an in-country visa application.

You can use the UKVI country finder to find out how to apply in your country and the time needed for making an application.

UK Visas & Immigration (UKVI) operates a points-based system. You need to score 40 points in order to be granted a Tier 4 (General) student visa.

Points are awarded as follows:

  • 30 points for a valid CAS number, issued to you by Regent’s University London
  • 10 points for proof of maintenance (tuition fees plus living costs in the UK)

Confirmation of Studies (CAS)

Before you can make your visa application, you must have a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) statement from Regent’s University London. Regent’s is a Tier 4 sponsor. We are authorised to issue a CAS by UK Visas & Immigration (UKVI).

What is a CAS?

The CAS is an electronic document that contains important information that you need to make your visa application:

  • It gives you an individual CAS number and confirms that you have the required documentation and funds to make a visa application
  • The CAS is valid for 6 months and can only be used once
  • If your visa application is refused, you can’t use the same CAS number to re-apply and new CAS number must be issued

How do I get a CAS?

You can obtain a CAS from Regent’s University London, when you have completed the steps below:

  • You have received a letter from us that makes you an unconditional offer for your chosen degree programme
  • You have paid a minimum deposit towards your tuition fees of £4,000
  • You have provided the required documentation (see below)

What documentation do I need to provide for the CAS?

  • A copy of the main page from your current passport showing your personal details
  • Copies of all your current/previous UK visas
  • A tuberculosis certificate, if required
  • An official financial document that proves you hold sufficient funds in a bank account to cover your tuition fees and maintenance costs while studying in the UK. 

Note: You will also need to supply these documents as part of your visa application.

For more information, see our guide to Meeting Tier 4 financial requirements (PDF).

You must provide an official translation for each document you submit that is not in English, the translation must include:

  • Confirmation from the translator or translation company that it is an accurate translation of the original document
  • The date of the translation
  • The full name and signature of the translator
  • The translator or translation company's contact details

Regent’s University London can only issue your CAS once all the required documentation has been received and approved.

The CAS will be sent as an electronic document to your email address. It contains key information about you and your studies at Regent’s which you must check carefully.

The University reserves the right to not issue a CAS where applicants

  • Do not disclose their full UK study history
  • Have previously been refused a visa
  • Have been refused under the credibility requirement
  • Wish to study at a lower level than their previous UK study
  • Did not complete their previous course for which a Tier 4 (General) student visa was granted

For more information, contact [email protected].

Documents you will need for your visa application

You must provide the following documents when making your Tier 4 visa application. It is very important to assemble all these documents before you make your application online.


You should submit any passports that you have ever used to enter the UK, if you have them.


2 x passport-sized photographs. These should be taken no more than one month before you make your application. Please check the rules for passport photos on the UKVI website before having your photo taken.

Your CAS statement

The Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) is a document that will be given to you by Regent’s University London. It has a unique reference number linked to a record created by the University in the UKVI system, which you must use to make your visa application. You must request a new CAS for each visa application. You cannot re-use an existing CAS.

Proof of academic qualifications

Your CAS will list the qualifications you used to obtain your offer at Regent’s. You must also provide the original certificate or transcript for each of the listed qualifications and an official translation for each document that is not in English.

Proof of your English language proficiency

Your English language official test scores, if required. See the English language requirements tab.

Proof that you meet the maintenance requirement

You must show proof that you have enough money to pay your tuition fees and a specific amount of money to cover your living expenses. See the University’s guide to Meeting Tier 4 Financial requirements (PDF).

A TB certificate

Compulsory tuberculosis testing is required for some visa nationals.

If you are submitting your Tier 4 (General) student visa application in any country listed here, you must provide a valid medical certificate by an approved medical clinic confirming you are free of tuberculosis. The certificate must be valid on the date you submit the visa application.

Failure to submit a medical certificate from an approved medical centre will result in your visa application being refused.

Immigration Health Surcharge

As part of your Tier 4 (General) student visa application, you must pay a National Health Service (NHS) surcharge. This means you will receive free health care in the UK during your studies.

If you are studying for more than 6 months, you will need to pay £150 for each year of your studies.

You will also need to pay the surcharge if you extend your time in the UK, even if it’s for a few months.

You are exempt from paying the surcharge if you are an Australian or New Zealand national, or if you live in the Falkland Islands and are considered to be a British Overseas Territory citizen.

To pay the surcharge:

  • Visit the UKVI website to find out how much you must pay
  • Pay the charge at the payment portal, providing your passport details and email address. You will need a card to make the payment
  • Make a note of the NHS reference number that you are given
  • Enter the NHS reference number into the relevant section of the visa application form

Failure to make the payment will result in your visa application being refused by UKVI.

For more information, contact [email protected].

Apply online

Once you have gathered all the necessary documentation, you can apply online for a Tier 4 (General) student visa at the UKVI website.

For help to complete your application, see our Guide to the online form (PDF).

Regent's unique code

When completing the online form, please ensure that you enter the unique code for Regent's University London in the section headed 'Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) Collection'. The unique code for Regent's University London is 2HE957. This will enable your visa card to be delivered to the university, where you will collect it on arrival.

For more information, contact [email protected].

Extending from within the UK

If you hold a Tier 4 (General) student visa, you can apply to extend your visa from the UK if:

  • Your current visa was granted for study at a UK university (not a private college) or an independent school (you can find out if your school is classed as ‘independent’ by checking the Tier 4 sponsor list)
  • You meet the academic progression requirements. This means you cannot apply for a visa for a new course from within the UK until you have completed your current course and obtained the qualification for which your last CAS was issued
  • Your current visa does not expire more than 28 days before the start of the new course

You must return home to apply for your new visa if:

  • You are studying at a private college or with another private provider
  • There is more than one month between the end of your current visa and the start date of the new course
  • You are undertaking a course at a lower level from your previous course
  • You have not completed your previous course of study. This includes the following situations:
    • You have withdrawn from your previous course
    • You failed your previous course or you were expelled/suspended for non-academic progression
    • You are applying for a second Master’s degree and have not yet completed the previous Master’s degree, and are not therefore able to show evidence of academic progression

If you wish to apply for a Tier 4 (General) student visa from within the UK you must use the free service offered by the University’s Student Immigration Advisory Service (SIAS) team.

We cannot issue a CAS to a student who intends to apply by use of a third party, such as a solicitor or representative.

For more information, contact [email protected].

Meeting Tier 4 Financial Requirements

As part of your visa application, you must provide documentation to show that you have the money available to cover your tuition fees and living costs while you are studying in the UK. The money needs to be held for a specific period of time and the evidence you provide must be in a format set by the UKVI.

As part of your application for a visa, you must show evidence that:

  • You have paid your tuition fees for the year
  • You have the funds available to pay the tuition fees
  • You must also show that you have enough money to cover your living costs for up to 9 months in the UK. These are set at £1,265 per month for students living in London

How do prove that I meet the Tier 4 financial requirements?

You must provide evidence of one of the following:

  • Money held in a personal/savings account
  • Official financial or government sponsorship
  • A loan agreement
  • A certificate of fixed deposit

For more detail on how to provide this evidence, see our guide to Meeting Tier 4 financial requirements (PDF).

English Language Requirements

When applying for a Tier 4 (General) student visa, you must show that you meet the minimum UKVI English language requirements. English language ability is assessed and confirmed in the following ways.

Applicants who are a national of a majority English-speaking country as defined by UKVI or applicants who have completed an academic qualification equivalent to a UK degree from a majority English-speaking country.

Accepted English language tests

For applicants who do not fall into the categories above, Regent’s University London accepts the following English language tests for degree-level programmes:

  • IGCSE grade C with supplementary certifying statement for CEFR
  • GCSE grade C or AS/A-Level English grade C (taken in the UK on a valid student visa)
  • International Baccalaureate English A at minimum grade 4 (Higher or Standard Level) or English B Higher Level only at minimum grade 5
  • Indian Standard XII English at minimum grade 75%
  • RULET English diagnostic  (with scores as IELTS)
  • US High School Diploma
  • PTE Academic
  • Trinity College London
  • Cambridge Advanced
  • All IELTS tests – minimum 5.5 in each component and the test to have been taken no longer than 2 years from the date the CAS is generated

Pre-sessional or short English language course applicants

Applicants who are studying below degree level, e.g. on a pre-sessional or short English language course, must complete an IELTS UKVI test at an approved UKVI test centre.

For more information, contact [email protected].

Credibility Interviews

As part of your application for a Tier 4 (General) student visa, you may need to undergo a credibility interview. These interviews are carried out by the UKVI. They are intended to help assess your intent and credibility to study in the UK. The UK Embassy in your home country will contact you to ask a series of specific questions. The interview usually takes place via Skype.

Top tips: 

  • Speak in English. The interviewer will expect you to respond to the questions in English
  • Research your course and be prepared to answer questions about what you will be studying
  • Find out about the local area and where you plan to live
  • Be prepared to explain exactly how you are funding your studies and maintenance during your stay in the UK
  • Be truthful. Being interviewed can be worrying, but try to answer the questions as honestly and clearly as you can
  • Think about your passion to study your chosen course and how it will contribute to your future career aspirations

You can find out more from our guide, Information about credibility interviews (PDF).

For more information, contact [email protected].

Visa Time Limits

There is a limit of five years on the amount of time you can spend studying at degree level in the UK on a Tier 4 (General) student visa.

Regent’s University London can only sponsor you for a Tier 4 (General) student visa, if the length of the course you are joining will not take you beyond the limit of five years of study at degree level.

When calculating the cap on degree-level studies, the University must take into account the following periods of time:

  • The whole length of any previous Tier 4 (General) student visas you have had, including the extra time granted at the start and end of the visa
  • Time spent on Section 3c leave while waiting for an application to be decided in the UK, or the outcome of an appeal or an Administrative Review
  • The time spent waiting for a previous Tier 4 (General) student visa to be curtailed e.g. if you previously interrupted your studies or withdrew from a course

It is very important that you provide accurate information about your previous degree-level studies in the UK, to avoid the risk of your visa application being refused.

For more information, contact [email protected].