from outside the UK

If this is your first application for a Tier 4 (General) student visa, you must apply online from your country of residence, before you come to the UK.

You must apply online for a Tier 4 (General) student visa from your country of residence if:

  • You are going to study in the UK for the first time
  • You have completed studies in the UK but do not meet the academic progression rules to make an in-country visa application.

You can use the UKVI country finder to find out how to apply in your country and the time needed for making an application.

UK Visas & Immigration (UKVI) operates a points-based system. You need to score 40 points in order to be granted a Tier 4 (General) student visa.

Points are awarded as follows:

  • 30 points for a valid CAS number, issued to you by Regent’s University London
  • 10 points for proof of maintenance (tuition fees plus living costs in the UK)

Before you make your online visa application, you must have:

  • A Confirmation of Acceptance to Study (CAS) statement from Regent’s University London
  • Additional supporting documentation required by UKVI
  • Proof that you have the funds available to pay your tuition fees and maintenance costs

For more information, see:
Confirmation of Acceptance to Study (CAS)
Documentation for Tier 4 (General) student visa applications
Meeting Tier 4 financial requirements <PDF>

Apply online

Once you have gathered all the necessary documentation, you can apply online for a Tier 4 (General) student visa at the UKVI website.

For help to complete the online form, see our Guide to completing the online Tier 4 visa application <PDF>

For more information, contact

Also in this section

Visas & immigration
Tier 4 General student visa
Extending a visa from within the UK
Confirmation of Acceptance of Studies (CAS)
Documentation for a visa application
English language requirements
Credibility interviews
Visa time limits
Meeting Tier 4 financial requirements