Università degli Studi di Bologna

University of Bologna is one of the biggest higher-education institutions in Italy. The University can count on a near-thousand-year history of academic activity and student life, the longest in the western World.

The history of the city of Bologna and its University are inextricably interwoven. Even Bologna’s architecture is said to have been influenced by the very presence of the students: legend has it that its famous arcades (“portici”) were designed in order to extend the houses to provide another room to be let out to the students.

The University of Bologna has a multicampus structure. You will be studying at the Bologna campus.

Campus facilities

The study and multimedia facilities are easy to reach by students (in the university area or close to student halls of residence). The rooms are open most days except Sundays, until late into the evening. During the August holidays or other national or local festivities the premises are shut.

In addition to reading and studying, these student facilities offer the chance to: - find and consult diversified sources of information (books, newspapers, magazines, databases on CD-Rom, and other materials); - make use of a wide range of services: printing, internet access, information points about the City and the University; - take advantage of cultural opportunities (seminars, conferences, exhibitions, etc.), leisure time activities (listening to music, watching videos, the video library, the cinema forum, etc.) or do general training courses (information technology, foreign languages, photography, etc) organised by student groups or associations.

From the University computers students can view online catalogues and electronic documents.

Your username and password will also allow you to access this service from home, you will just need to conntect to the proxy: http://biblioteche.unibo.it/portale

Students can take two online courses called Information Literacy Course: this is a computer based learning activity; its objective is to provide students with the skills that are needed in order to find and use traditional and electronic bibliographic resourses. These multimedia courses are produced by the University Library System together with the Inter-Library Center and are available also in English. Students can access these courses from the Library website at the following pages:

- http://www.sba.unibo.it/portale/formazione/corso-di-information-literacy

- http://www.sba.unibo.it/portale/formazione/tutorial-acnp

- Further information: http://www.biblioteche.unibo.it


While studying at the University of Bologna, students can access the services provided by the University libraries (book loan, in-library usage of books and other materials etc.) Here is the list of libraries according to their main subject area: http://www.biblioteche.unibo.it/sba/aree%20.

Borrowed books must be returned before departure.

Other (Gym, clubs and societies)

ESEG is a student association which has been enrolled in the Official Register of University Associations of the University of Bologna. It organises different activities which aim at integrating Italian and foreign students. ESEG’s main aim is to try to make sure international students get the most out of their study period in Bologna by fully appreciating the spirit and beauty of this city. It also organises events to make students aware of social issues.

Some of ESEG’s main activities include; Language Tandem, 5-a-side football, Bologna Tour, Trips in Italy and International evenings. ESEG in the Social Sector: 
The Association also organizes different events with the City of Bologna which aim at making students aware of social issues.

Web site: http://esegunibo.org/
E-mail: esegbologna@libero.it
Tel.: 3402403842 / 3204683281
Facebook group: ESEG BOLOGNA

Leisure and Sport

If you are interested in organised sports activities, you should go to the CUS (University Sports Centre). The CUS deals with the organisation of the University sports activities and manages all its sports facilities. All sports courses begin at the end of September, last 3-4 months and, generally end in May. In addition to university competitions and tournaments, the CUS also organises Summer and Winter Campuses. For further information:
CUSB Bologna | http://www.cusb.unibo.it

Academic calendar

Autumn Semester:

October to December (September with Italian course) Exams: January- February

Spring Semester:

March to July (February with Italian course) Exams: June - July

Academic life


Each educational activities are awarded ECTS credits. Each credit corresponds to 25 hours of work for the student, including all the types of activities requested (lessons, seminars, individual or group study, etc.).

The Universitiy grading system

The Italian university marks go from a minimum of 18 to a maximum of 30 with distinction.

Remember: In order to take exams you must first register for each of them via the univeristy system.

For general information on studying in Italy please visit this website




Please contact your Head of Programme or Academic Advisor for more details

Passing requirements

Please contact your Head of Programme or Academic Advisor for more details

Disability provisions

Please contact the IPO for more information regarding the support services at Università degli Studi di Bologna.



Bologna is the chief town of the Emilia-Romagna region, one of the richest regions in Italy, with a deep-rooted presence of the cooperative model. Bologna is also well-known for the beauty of its historic centre, characterised by long arcades, towers and red-brick buildings. The city is striking for the vast presence of medieval buildings but equally fascinating is its Etruscan and Roman heritage.

Bologna’s identity is inextricably tied to its University and its free-thinking tradition, so much so that it has always been nicknamed “la dotta” (“the learned”). The city is also known for its culinary excellence (hence, its other nickname of “la grassa” – “the fat”) and the red-brick colour of its buildings in the historic centre (hence, “la rossa” or “the red”).


A taxpayer code is a personal identity document which lists an univocal alphanumerical code necessary for a series of economic or tax related activities such as receiving payments, opening a bank/post office account, registering with the Italian Health Service and completing enrolment at the University. You MUST obtain your taxpayer code upon your arrival to Italy. You need to go to the Local Revenue Office (Agenzia delle Entrate) where you will be asked to complete an application form and to present the required documents. The International Office at La Sapienza will help you with this process.

For more information please visit the IPO Study Abroad pages of Blackboard and view the Country Information Packs. Click here to log into Blackboard.


The University of Bologna helps exchange students in finding appropriate accommodation.

The SAIS (Student Accommodation and Information Service) provides information to international students on a wide range of solutions for accommodation both in student halls or in private apartments with other students. To be included in the S.A.I.S. database, you will have to fill in and submit an online accommodation form, available on the S.A.I.S. homepage. Students are required to complete this form at least one month before arrival and immediately after having completed your online registration at the University of Bologna as you will need your registration number to sign in for the SAIS web services.

It is important to note that the number of rooms available in student halls is limited. On the other hand, it is fairly easy to find an accommodation (in single or double rooms) in student flats.

SAIS - Student Accommodation and Information Service

via Zamboni 62/b | 40126 Bologna | PH +39/051/254423 FAX +39/051/251640


Useful links:






Cost of living

The cost of living for students should be around 800-900€ per month.

Please see below some approximate prices:

Accommodation: 400,00€
Food: 200,00 €
Transport: 40,00 €
Spending money: 200,00 €

TOTAL: 840,00 €


Students who have been nominated to study at Università degli Studi di Bologna will be sent an application pack via email the semester before they are due to start their SPA.

Health Insurance  

You must provide evidence of having an appropriate, comprehensive health insurance. This is usually required at the time of submitting your application.

If you come from an EU country, remember to apply for a European health insurance card (EHIC) before leaving.

Visa requirements

Students from the European Economic Area (EEA) do not require a visa to study in France. All other nationalities need a visa and should contract the Consulate General, 38 Eaton Place, London SW1X 8AN, Tel: 020 7235 9371; http://www.conslondra.esteri.it/Consolato_Londra  

Residence permit for non-EU students

Non-EU students must request a residence permit within 8 days from their arrival to Italy. After registering at University,students must fill in an application for a stay permit.

The International Relations Department and the campus offices are at your disposal to provide you with useful information for application completion and to give you the names of other structures which can support you. If you intend to complete your application on your own you must collect all forms (called kit) available at some post offices.


Registration and Stay Permit

In compliance with Italian law, all international students should follow a registration procedure if they are remaining in Italy for more than 90 days.

European and EU-equated students

If you are spending 3 months or less in Italy you do not need to proceed with official registration.

If you are spending more than 3 months in Italy, you have to register in at the local Registry Office (Anagrafe).

Ufficio Soggiorno Cittadini Comunitari Palazzo Ca’ Farsetti - San Marco 4161 – Venice T +39 041 274 8102 soggiornocomunitari.venezia@comune.venezia.it

Non- European students

If you are spending 90 days or less in Italy you do not need to apply for a Stay Permit (Permesso di Soggiorno).

If you are spending more than 90 days in Italy you have to apply for a Residence Permit within 8 days of your arrival.



Please note: The information on this page is accurate at the time of publishing. Some details have been sourced from external websites.




Country: Italy
Language of tuition: English,Italian
Level of study: Undergraduate
Partner type: Erasmus+ exchange

Applicable Regent's programmes for a study period abroad: