Nanjing University

Nanjing University (NJU), one of China's key comprehensive universities under the direct supervision of the Ministry of Education, dates back to 1902. NJU offers outstanding education and research quality at one of the top 5 universities in China with well-qualified teachers and high-standard teaching quality.

It is a large university dedicated to teaching over 75 undergraduate degree programmes. NJU boasts a fantastic language and living environment in a city of UN LivCom Awards as well as splendid campus, excellent living environment and great social activities.


Campus facilities

Nanjing University has two campuses - Gulou and Xianlin. The distance between Gulou and Xianlin campus is about 18 kilometers.

You will be studying at the Gulou campus where language courses at taught at the Institute for International Students.

Gulou Campus is located in Gulou District, at the center of Nanjing City. The main campus itself is divided into two sections by Hankou Road: North Garden, Bei Yuan, is where most teaching and research take place; and South Garden, Nan Yuan, serves as the living area for both students and academic staff.

Xianlin Campus is located in the northeast of Nanjing, in the Xianlin Universities Town. The campus is home to undergraduate students. There is the stop of Nanjing University Xianlin Campus on Line 2 of Nanjing Subway, which enables Xianlin and Gulou campus to be connected through subway.

Complete facilities for everyday life can be found in the campus vicinity. Banks, supermarkets, post offices, hospitals, photo studios, bookstores etc, are available to fulfill your daily needs.

On campus, there are 127 institutes, 98 interdisciplinary research centers, and many other teaching and researching facilities such as the Analysis Center, the Network and Information Center, and the Educational Technology Center.


NJU provides good facilities for both teaching and research work. Its library, one of the largest of its kind in China, has a collection of over 4.654 million volumes.

Food and catering

International students may eat in any cafeteria on the school campus. You may apply for a campus card, which can be used in either campus. The International Students’ Dormitory has a restaurant and cafeteria. Near to the campus there are many Chinese, Korean, and Japanese restaurants and cafeterias, however the prices are slightly higher than those on campus.

Other (Gym, clubs and societies)

The Institute for International Students is equipped with a basketball court, which is provided for the use of international students free of charge. The Nanyuan of Gulou campus has tennis courts, and the Beiyuan has an indoor swimming pool, exercise room, ping-pong room, and gymnastics room. All require regulated fees to use them.

Outside of class time, the Institute for International Students organises many kinds of recreational and sports activities as well as sightseeing and tours for students. Each departmental student association and graduate student association also organises events which international students are welcome to join.

Academic calendar

The school year at Nanjing University is divided into two semesters.  A semester usually lasts 17 weeks, of which the last 2 weeks are set aside for exam review.

Autumn Semester: September to December

Spring Semester: February to June

Academic life

Teaching methods in Chinese universities usually include classroom lecture, classroom discussion, in class exercises and tutorials. In general you will have classes five days a week.

Nanjing University operates a strict attendance policy.

The grading system in China is based on a scale from 0 – 100. 

Highest on scale: 90-100

Pass/fail level: 60

Lowest on scale: 0-59


You will be tested and put into the suitable language class when you register at the university.

You must take a minimum of 20 credits (or 22 credits if you are at the intermediate and advanced level) of Chinese language modules from the list of courses approved by EBSL.


Passing requirements

In order to pass the SPA semester you must obtain a pass in a minimum of 15 credits of Chinese language modules per SPA semester.

Please note:

  • To pass a module in China you must score 60 or above.

  • Upon arrival at your host institution your Chinese language level will be tested and you will put into the suitable language class when you register at the university.

    • You are encouraged to take electives or business modules taught in English where available but you will not receive any credits towards your SPA for these courses.

    • You must obtain a minimum of 15 credits of Chinese Language modules for each SPA semester in order to pass the SPA irrespective of whether you obtain more credits during one of the SPA semesters.

    • Please note that only credits obtained in the compulsory Chinese language modules or optional Chinese language modules taught in Chinese will be counted towards your SPA. Credits obtained in other elective modules taught in English are not counted.

    • A module with 1 contact hour each week is counted as 1 credit module

There are no options  to take resit exams on SPA at Nanjing University.

Disability provisions

Please contact the IPO for more information regarding the support services at Nanjing University.



The City of Nanjing

Located in the eastern part of China on the middle and lower reaches of the Yangtze River, Nanjing is the capital of the rich southern Chinese province Jiangsu. The city is one of the six ancient metropolises if China and boasts a history of over 2400 years. Throughout its history the city has been several times the capital of China hence the name (Nanjing = southern capital). With an urban population of over seven million (2011), Nanjing is the second-largest commercial center in the East China region after Shanghai. It has been ranked seventh in the evaluation of "Cities with Strongest Comprehensive Strength" issued by the National Statistics Bureau, and second in the evaluation of cities with most sustainable development potential in the Yangtze River Delta. It has also been awarded the title of 2008 Habitat Scroll of Honor of China, Special UN Habitat Scroll of Honour Award and National Civilized City.


Nanjing has a humid subtropical climate  and is under the influence of the East Asia Monsoon. The four seasons are distinct here, with damp conditions seen throughout the year, very hot and muggy summers, cold, damp winters, and in between, spring and autumn are of reasonable length. Surrounded by the Yangtze River and mountains, Nanjing also enjoys beautiful natural scenery. Natural lakes such as Xuanwu Lake and Mochou Lake are located in the center of the city and are easily accessible to the public, while hills like Purple Mountain are covered with evergreens and oaks and host various historical and cultural sites.

Learn more about Nanjing


Living on campus

The international Students Apartment Building has two types of rooms from which you may choose.

If you are staying for approximately 6 months, students recommend staying in the Dorms (Xiyuan hotel at Gulou campus) as they are very close to University (about 3 to 5 minute walk) and are close to convenient amenities. The dorms are popular among international students from all over the world. Prices depend on the floor you are living on (the higher the floor the higher the prices). You can decide to stay alone in these rooms or share.

Rent an apartment

If you are staying more than 6 months, students strongly recommend to rent an apartment this could work out to be a cheaper option. In Nanjing it is unlikely that you will have to go into a so called foreigner compound, thus you have a chance to live amongst the Chinese and improve your Chinese at a much faster pace. There are several agents and people that can help while looking for a flat. If you live in a rented apartment you will have to register with the police.


Cost of living

Estimated Monthly Living Expenses


Breakdown of Costs




Bills (Electricity, etc.)

Comes under accommodation







Others (Entertainment, Clothes etc.)


Monthly Estimate

580- 640


Student feedback can be found on Blackboard. Click here to log into Blackboard.


Students who have been nominated to study at Nanjing University will be sent an application pack via email the semester before they are due to start their SPA.

Health Insurance                                                                                                                   

All international students must buy a medical insurance plan for their study in China, in order to pay for the expense for possible accidental injury and medical treatments in hospitalization. Students without medical insurance plan will be rejected for registration. The plan recommended by the Ministry of Education is the Comprehensive Insurance & Protection Scheme for Foreigners staying in China. If you are a short-term student (less than 3 months study) and insist on using your own medical insurance, you must sign a declaration to assure that its service reaches the standard of the plan provided above.

Visa requirements

Once your application has been approved, Nanjing University will send an Admission Notice and Student Visa Application JW202 form. You should take these documents to the Embassy or Consulate of the People's Republic of China in your home country (check whether you can apply at that particular Embassy for a visa) and apply for the student visa.

The Embassy or Consulate of the People's Republic of China in london: 49 Portland Place, London W1B 1JL

Residence Permit

Those with an "X" visa are required to apply for the Alien's Residence Permit within 30 days after arriving in China. 
Students with valid residence permits can go outsite the mainland of China, including Hong Kong and Macao, for mutiple re-entry during their study period.

Physical Examination Record

(Only for students studying for 2 consecutive semesters at Nanjing).

If you are studying at Nanjing University for two consecutive semesters you also need to undertake Physical Examination. You do not need to submit the physical examination form together with your application documents. You need to contact your doctor to fill in the Physical Examination Record for Foreigners. The result of the physical examination will be necessary in the applications for both your visa and residence permit in China. Exchange students must take the original result of Physical Examination with them to China.



Room 101
Shuhua Building
22 Hankou Road

Contact: Xie Weijing (Ms)
Department: Section for Education Abroad Programs, Office of International Cooperation and Exchanges
Phone: 86-25-83593371
Fax: 86-25-83307680

Please note: The information on this page is accurate at the time of publishing. Some details have been sourced from external websites.




Country: China
Language of tuition: Chinese
Level of study: Undergraduate
Partner type: Bilateral Exchange partner

Applicable Regent's programmes for a study period abroad: