Dr Vincent Ong is a Director (Content) of Global Management and a Senior Fellow member of the Higher Education Academy.
He has championed a number of enriching co-curricular activities and events for students, such as International Business Week, Intercultural Intelligence Day, Summer Service and a Learning Programme in rural China (in partnership with Tsinghua University), among others.
Previously, he worked for University of Bedfordshire as MBA Course Leader and Transnational Education (TNE) Link Tutor of BA (Hons) Business Management in Hong Kong and Singapore. He has been involved in a number of undergraduate and postgraduate curriculum design and delivery, as well as curriculum review and validation.
Vincent’s research and teaching interests are in the areas of digital business management, information systems, and the use of emerging and intelligent ICT, such as business intelligence, big data and cloud computing, for organisational and individual information processing, decision making and strategic planning.
He has been involved in various independent and collaborative research projects and bidding activities at the university, national and European level. His last research project funded by JISC’s Business Intelligence Programme focused on the use of intelligent student engagement tracking system for supporting institutional decision making in higher education.
Vincent has also published a number of journal papers, book chapters and conference papers.
- PhD in Information Systems, University of Bedfordshire, 2006
- Post Graduate Certificate in Teaching in Higher Education (PGCTHE), University of Bedfordshire, 2005
- MBA (with distinction), University of Leicester, 1998
- BSc in Mechanical Engineering, University Technology Malaysia, 1997
Relevant Past Employment
- 2019-2020 Head of Subject Cluster and Head of Programme, Regent's University London
- 2016-2019 Head of Programme, Regent's University London
- 2014-2016 Programme Director, Regent's University London
- 2012-2014 MBA Course Leader and TNE Link Tutor, University of Bedfordshire
- 2006-2012 Senior Lecturer, University of Bedfordshire
- 2002-2006 Lecturer, University of Luton
- 1999-2002 Teaching Assistant, University of Luton
- 1998-1999 Trainee Consultant, Netik Consulting Limited, City of London
- Ong, V. K. 2016, ‘Business Intelligence and Big Data Analytics for Higher Education: Cases from UK Higher Education Institutions’, Information Engineering Express International Journal, 2 (1), pp. 65-75.
- Bentley, Y., Richardson, D., Duan, Y., Philpott, E., Ong, V. and Owen, D. 2013, ‘Research-led Design for an Innovative MSc Course in Project Management', Journal of Management Education, 37 (5), pp. 651-682.
- Duan, Y., Ong, V.K., Xu, M. and Mathews, B. 2012, ‘Supporting decision making process with 'ideal' software agents: What do business executives want?’ Expert Systems with Applications, 39 (5), pp. 5534-5547. (3* - ABS)
- Xu, M., Ong, V., Duan, Y. and Mathews, B. 2010, ‘Intelligent agent systems for executive information scanning, filtering and interpretation: Perceptions and challenges’, Information Processing and Management, 47 (2), pp. 186-201. (3* - ABS)
- Ong, V., Duan, Y. & Mathews, B. 2007, ‘Supporting executive intelligence activities with agent-based Executive Information Systems’, in Xu, M. (Ed), Managing Strategic Intelligence: Techniques and Technologies, Idea Group Inc.
- Xu, M., Ong, V. & Duan, Y. 2007, ‘Developing an ontology-based intelligent EIS for semantic executive information processing’, in Xu, M. (Ed), Managing Strategic Intelligence: Techniques and Technologies, Idea Group Inc.
- Riti Lochav, PhD, 2020 - now - First Supervisor, "Digital Transformation: Study of the impacts & effects on Business Model Innovation"
- Sulaimon Olatunji, MPhil, 2013-2016 - First Supervisor, "The Development of a Framework on Information Behaviour of SME Managers When Adopting Emerging ICTs"
My principal research interest is how the emerging digital technologies and ICTs are designed and deployed for supporting and enhancing information processing and decision making.
- Emerging information systems and technologies
- Information processing behaviour
- Business intelligence
- Senior Managers’ Information Processing Behaviour and the Roles of Artificial Intelligence, Deanship of Graduate Studies and Research, Ajman University, United Arab Emirates (Project Team, October 2020 – September 2021, £4,500)
- JISC Grant: Business Intelligence Programme (Project Manager, March 2011 – August 2012, £50,000) – Supporting institutional decision making with an intelligent student engagement tracking system
- Dean’s Research and Scholarship Grant (January 2010 – January 2011, £2,000) – An Exploratory Study of Mobile Communication Devices for Supporting Learning and Teaching in Higher Education.
- Research Informed Teaching (RiT) (Project Team, March 2008 to April 2010, £16,707) – A Study of Contemporary Project Management Tools and Techniques Used in Organisations
- Languages for eCommerce (Project Coordinator, from November 2004 to October 2007, 51,750 EURO)
Senior Fellow of Higher Education Academy (SFHEA)
- Ong, V., Duan, Y. and Xu, M. 2020, ‘Senior Managers’ Information Behavior in Current Emerging Ubiquitous and Intelligent Computing Environment’, in the 53th Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences (HICSS), 7-10 January 2020, Maui.
- Olatunji, S., Bentley, Y., Duan, Y. and Ong, V. 2016, ‘A Framework on Information Behaviour of SME Managers for Decision-Making on Emerging ICTs’, in the 10th European Conference on Information Systems Management ECISM, 8-9 September 2016, The University of Evora, Portugal.
- Ong, V. 2015, ‘Big Data and its Research Implications for Higher Education: Cases from UK Higher Education Institutions’, in The 4th International Congress on Advanced Applied Informatics AAI2015, 12-16 July 2015, Okayama, Japan.
- Duan, Y., Cao, G., Ong, V. and Woolley, M. 2013, ‘Big data in higher education: an action research on managing student engagement with business intelligence’, in The 2nd International Conference on Emerging Research Paradigms in Business and Social Sciences, 26-28 November 2013, Dubai UAE. (Best Paper)
- Ong, V.K., Duan, Y. and Jackson, S. 2012, ‘Supporting Institutional Decision Making with an Intelligent Student Engagement Tracking System’, in Proceedings of The IADIS International Conference Information Systems 2012, 10-12 March 2012, Berlin, Germany.
- Ong, V.K., Duan, Y. and Mathews, B. 2010, ‘Using Interpretive Paradigm and CAQDAS in Executive Information Systems Research, in Proceedings of The IADIS International Conference Information Systems 2010, 18-20 March 2010, Porto, Portugal.
Teaching & Course Development
Programme Development Leader
- BA (Hons) Global Management (Leadership & Change)
- BA (Hons) Global Management (Enterprise & Innovation)
- BA (Hons) Global Management (Marketing)
- BA (Hons) Global Management (Finance)
- BA (Hons) Global Management (Events & Experience Management)
- BA (Hons) International Business
Module design and development
- Managing Digital Organisations
- Managing Digital Disruption and Transformation
- Applied Business Project (Capstone module)
- Digital Experience Management
- Pathway Leader on MSc Information Systems and Business Management
- Module Leader on Applied Management Project (PG Level)
- Module Leader on Digital Business Management (PG Level)
- Module Leader on Information Systems in the Hospital and Health Services (PG Level)
- Module Leader on Applied E-business (UG Level 6)
- Module Leader on Business Systems and Process Operations Management (UG Level 5)
- Module Leader on Management of Business Systems and Process/Operations (UG Level 5)
- MSc Business Web Analytics and Management, University of Bedfordshire
- MSc Information Systems and Business Management, University of Bedfordshire
- Master of Business Administration, University of Bedfordshire
- 2020-2024, External Examiner at University of Plymouth - Doctorate of Business Administration (DBA)
- 2019-22, External Examiner at The Claude Littner Business School, University of West London – BA (Hons) Business Studies and BA (Hons) International Business Management
- 2020, Chair for the Validation of additional modules of Regent’s Connect Portfolio, Regent’s University London
- 2019, Internal revalidation panel member for BSc (Hons) Psychology and MSc Psychology, Regent’s University London
- 2019, External Panellist for BA (Honours) Single Honours Digital and Technology Solutions (External Accreditation, Solihull College & University Centre), Newman University
- 2019, PhD external examiner, ‘The Influence of Online Reviews on Saudi Consumers’ Tourism Destination Choices’, University of Plymouth
- 2018, External Advisor for BA (Hons) Business and Management to be validated in Malaysia, Oxford Brookes University
- 2017-18, Internal revalidation panel member for BA (Hons) Film & Screen and BA (Hons) Acting for Stage & Screen, Regent’s University London
- 2017, Chair for validation of Regent’s Connect and Regent’s Global London portfolios, Regent’s University London
- 2015, External Advisor and Examiner for TNE Resource Visit in Singapore and Malaysia, University of Wolverhampton
- 2015, Internal validation panel member for BA Acting & World Theatre, Regent’s University London
- 2014, 2015, Internal validation panel member for MSc Finance, Regent’s University London
- 2013, Internal validation panel member for periodic course review of postgraduate courses in the Department of Accounting and Finance, University of Bedfordshire
- 2012, PhD internal examiner, University of Bedfordshire
- 2012, MSc by Research internal examiner, University of Bedfordshire
- 2009, External validation panel member of FdA/BA (Hons) in Computing and Management, University Campus Suffolk.