William began his professional life as an actor and director working in both the commercial and subsidised sectors of the UK theatre industry. William’s professional teaching and research portfolio has focussed on actor training, and he has taught at a number of the UK drama schools and university departments as well as across Europe in Belgium, France, Italy, Spain, Lithuania, Poland, Estonia, Belarus and Russia. William taught at Middlesex University for 14 years before joining Mountview Academy of Theatre Arts, one of the UK’s leading drama schools training actors, directors and stage technicians. In 2016, William joined Regents University to lead the Film, Media and Performance subject areas with their unique combination of international outlook and employability focus.
- M.Phil: 20th Century French Actor Training – University of Glasgow. 1993
- BA (Hons) 1st Class - Drama and Theatre Studies – Middlesex Polytechnic, 1990
Relevant Past Employment
- 2011 - 2016: Mountview Academy of Theatre Arts – Academic Director
- 1997 – 2011: Middlesex University – Director of Theatre Arts Programmes
- MA supervision – Theatre Directing, Acting, Musical Theatre
External Examiner or adviser at: University of Sunderland, University of Wolverhampton, Christ Church Canterbury University, Kingston University, University for the Creative Arts.
- 20th century European approaches to actor training
- Play translation in to English
- 20th Century French Actor Training - £10,000 – British Academy
- 20th Century European Actor Training - £30,000 - British Academy
- Michael Chekhov & Actor Training - £1,000 – University of Glasgow
- European Actor Training Methodologies - £5,000 – University of Glasgow
- Stanislavski Reconsidered - £1,000 – Middlesex University
Teaching & Course Development
Main teaching areas are in actor training and direction.
Course developments have included:
For Middlesex University:
- BA Theatre Arts (Performance)
- BA Theatre Arts (Solo Performance)
- BA Theatre Arts (Technical Theatre)
- BA Theatre Arts (Directing)
- MA Theatre Directing
For Mountview Academy of Theatre Arts:
- BA Performance (Actor Musician)
- BA & FdA Theatre Production Arts
- MA Performance
- MA Creative Producing
- MA Theatre Directing
External examiner or adviser at: University of Sunderland, University of Wolverhampton, Christ Church Canterbury University, Kingston University and the University for the Creative Arts.