Immigration Advice and Guidance

Student Immigration and Compliance Services (SICS) helps students by providing immigration and visa advice

Student Immigration Advice Service

The Student Immigration and Compliance Services (SICS) are separated into two teams that provide immigration advice and guidance to staff and students in line with the rules and regulations set by UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI).

Our Student Advice Service provides free and confidential advice and information on UK immigration-related matters to prospective and current students, as well as recent graduates.

Regent's Immigration Advisors are:

  • Student Immigration Advisor
  • Senior Student Immigration and Compliance Officer
  • Assistant Registrar - Student Immigration and Compliance Services

We are legally permitted to offer immigration advice in accordance with:

Please note that the Student Immigration Advice Service are the only members of the University that are legally permitted to offer immigration advice to students. The Student Immigration Advisors operate within our Conditions of Service.​

How to contact us


To get advice by email, please contact us at [email protected]. Please note we aim to respond to all emails within two to three working days.


To seek advice from us in person, please contact the Hub via email at [email protected] or telephone +44 (0) 207 487 7453.

We expect you to arrive on time for your appointment. If you arrive more than 10 minutes late, we may not be able to see you, as this will impact our appointment schedule.

If you need to cancel your appointment, please contact us at [email protected] as soon as possible.

We reserve the right to limit or withdraw our service if you constantly arrive late or fail to attend appointments.

Student Immigration Compliance

Our Student Immigration Compliance team oversees the University’s responsibilities as a Tier 4 sponsor. This includes:

  • Issuing Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) to current students (and applicants applying within the UK) who fulfil the CAS eligibility requirements and need to apply for a new Tier 4 visa during their studies
  • Student Registration
  • Recording and monitoring passport and visa details
  • Reporting student status changes to the Home Office
  • Reviewing Break in Studies and Internal Transfer requests for Tier 4 students
  • Auditing student files
  • Liaising with our Premium Account Manager at the UKVI
  • Monitoring student attendance.

As a prospective or current Tier 4 student, it is important that you understand and comply with the conditions of your Tier 4 visa. Non-compliance could mean withdrawal from your studies and a breach in visa conditions, and this will likely be reported to UKVI.

Both Regent's University London and you have some key responsibilities to adhere to. You should read the Tier 4 Compliance Reminder leaflet.

Police Registration

You may be required to register with the police within seven days of arrival in the UK. Upon successful registration, you will be provided with a Police Registration Certificate (PRC) which you will need to keep up to date for the duration of your stay.

Do you need to register?

Depending on your nationality and the length of time you will be staying in the UK, you may be required to register with the police, as a condition of your immigration permission.

A list of countries whose nationals may be required to register can be found in Appendix 2 of the Immigration Rules.

You'll be told if you need to register with the police on one of the following documents:

  • Entry visa vignette (if you’re travelling to the UK)
  • Biometric residence permit (BRP)
  • Home Office letter that approved your application for leave

If you receive a new BRP, are granted a visa extension or if there is a change to your immigration status in the UK you will also need to update the police within seven days. Your address, passport and other personal information must also be kept up to date with the police for the duration of your stay in the UK.

How to register?

You must make a booking online for an appointment at the Metropolitan Police Overseas Visitors Records Office (OVRO). Your appointment itself does not need to fall in this seven day period; you will meet the registration requirements if you making your booking in this timeframe, and attended as scheduled. 

You will need to register with the OVRO if you are:

  • Registering in the UK for the first time
  • Have registered with another police force and have moved into the London area for the first time
  • If you have lost, damaged or had your Police Registration Certificate stolen and need to obtain a new one.

You must supply the following:

  • Original passport
  • 1 x passport-sized photograph (must be in colour, 45mm x 35mm and pasted to the completed proforma prior to attending. Do not staple it)
  • Completed OCR Registration Proforma – the proforma must be completed electronically, not by hand (until you write your signature at the bottom). Download the OCR Registration Proforma form
  • £34.00 registration fee, payable by card or cash
  • Biometric Residence Permit (BRP), if applicable. If you made your immigration application in the UK, you will also need to take the letter which was sent to you with your passport when your application was approved
  • Any Home Office letters you may have been issued in the UK or overseas (if applicable).

Your registration will not be processed if you do not supply all of the above documents.

All students are subject to a security check on arrival. Do not carry any sharp objects and attend the office with minimal baggage. If you are found to be carrying a knife or sharp bladed instrument this will be reported to the police and you could be arrested.

Keeping your Police Registration Certificate up to date

After you have registered with the police, you are required to book an appointment within seven days to notify them of any change in circumstance or a new visa. 

The Overseas Visitors Records Office explains which changes you should report, and soon to report them, and where to report the change. In some cases, you may be required to report your change of circumstances to a local police station instead of the OVRO. Please check the OVRO website to find out where to report any such changes.

You should keep your Police Registration Certificate in a safe place. If you lose your certificate, you are required to get a new one from the OVRO as soon as you notice your certificate is lost.

Failure to register

If your immigration permission required you to register with the police, it is a condition to register and keep your Police Registration Certificate up to date. Failure to comply with your immigration permission is a criminal offence.

Failure to register could lead to a £5,000 fine, a prison sentence, recommendation of deportation or a 10-year ban on entering the UK.

In addition, if you register after the deadline or do not update your registration certificate within the time required, this could have an impact on any future UK immigration permission you apply for. You should therefore register as soon as possible.

More information about police registration can be found on the UK Government website and the Metropolitan Police website.

Working in the UK

In most cases international students on a Tier 4 visa are allowed to do some work whilst studying in the UK. You should check your visa/Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) and expect to see a condition that allows work, but with restrictions.

Students in the UK studying on a Short-Term Study visa or a General Visitor Visa are not allowed to work in the UK.

Working in the UK during your studies

As an international student studying at Regent’s University London on a Tier 4 (General) Student visa, you must abide by certain restrictions on the amount and type of work you can undertake.

In any case, if you are uncertain about whether you will breach any Tier 4 regulations, please contact the Student Immigration and Compliance Services (SICS) department for further advice.

Your work conditions, including the maximum hours you can work during term time, are normally printed on your visa sticker or Biometric Residence Permit (BRP).

If you are studying at degree level and above


If you are studying a course below degree level


20 hours maximum per week during term time

10 hours maximum per week during term time

Note: This includes work, paid or unpaid, for one or more companies.

This also applies to you if you are undertaking your dissertation module or you have re-sits or re-submissions.


Note: This includes work, paid or unpaid, for one or more companies.

This also applies to you if you have re-sits or re-submissions.


A ‘week’ is defined as ‘a period of seven days beginning with a Monday’.

Work placements, which are considered to be an assessed part of your course, do not count towards these hours and can be full-time.

However, during official vacation periods, you are allowed to work full-time. Term and vacation dates differ depending on your level and programme of study, so it is important you check before undertaking full-time work. If you want to work more than your usual restricted hours, your employer is required by law to check with Regent’s University London that you are on vacation. If in doubt, please contact the Student Hub, or refer to your Academic Calendar.

If you are not allowed to work in the UK, you must not work in term time or during vacation periods.

In some cases, students may not be allowed to work if their visa/BRP states: ‘No work’ or ‘Work prohibited’. If you have this on your visa/BRP, or you believe your working hours are incorrect, please get in touch with the Student Immigration Advisor to look into this with you as soon as possible.

It is a breach of your immigration status and a criminal offence if you are found to be working more than your weekly limit, or when you are not permitted to do so. You can be penalised with a fine of £5,000 and/or up to six months’ imprisonment and you would be liable to removal from the UK. You could also be banned from returning to the UK for at least 12 months.

Types of work you cannot undertake:

Tier 4 Students have certain restrictions on the types of work they can undertake.

You cannot:

  • be self-employed
  • engage in any business activity
  • take a permanent full-time job
  • be employed as a professional sportsperson including as a sports coach
  • be employed as an entertainer
  • be in a permanent full-time job
  • work as a doctor or dentist in training

Students who have completed their course:

If you have completed your course, you can work full-time during the remainder of your Tier 4 visa. The same limitations to the types of work as listed above apply.

Completion of your course means either the end date of your course as stated on your Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) or if you complete your course later, or earlier than that date, the date that the award board agrees your award.

National Insurance

As an international student, you must pay National Insurance (NI) contributions if you work in the UK. Therefore you only need to apply for a NI number if you plan to work in the UK.

You need to apply for a NI number by phone:

National Insurance number application line
Telephone: 0800 141 2075 
Textphone: 0800 141 2438
Monday to Friday from 8am to 6pm

You can start work before your NI number arrives if you can prove you can work in the UK – your Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) will state your work conditions.

As soon as you receive your NI number, you should provide this to your employer.

Find out more about National Insurance.

Visiting the Schengen Area

You might need a visa to visit other European countries while studying at Regent's. The Schengen area covers 26 countries and you can get one visa to visit them all. 

Schengen Visa

The Schengen Visa gives non-EU/EEA nationals the ability to visit multiple countries in the Schengen area for a maximum of 90 days in a 180 day period (short-stay visa) or transit through the area (airport transit visa). It’s a great opportunity to travel to other European countries while you’re in the UK.

Which countries does a Schengen Visa cover?

The Schengen area covers the following countries: Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Latvia, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Sweden, Slovenia, Slovakia, Switzerland and Spain.

Be aware that the Schengen Visa does NOT cover all EU countries. If you want to travel to Ireland, Romania, Bulgaria, Cyprus or Croatia, you would need a separate visa. For more information, please refer to the embassy website of the country you plan to visit.

Do I need a Schengen Visa?

If you are a non-EU/EEA national then you will need a Schengen Visa to visit or transit through the Schengen area. If you believe you have another form of eligibility (e.g. you are a family member of an EU/EEA national) then please check with the embassy of the country you intend to visit.

There are currently some nationalities who are exempt from getting a Schengen visa for a short term stay but this can change frequently so be sure to check before you travel. 

Nationals from the following countries do not currently require a Schengen Visa*: 
Albania, Andorra, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Australia, Bahamas, Barbados, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brazil, Brunei, Canada, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Dominica, El Salvador, North Macedonia, Georgia, Grenada, Guatemala, Holy See, Honduras, Hong Kong, Israel, Japan, Kiribati, Malaysia, Marshall Islands, Mauritius, Mexico, Micronesia, Moldova, Monaco, Montenegro, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Palau, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Samoa, San Marino, Seychelles, Serbia, Singapore, Solomon Islands, South Korea, St Kitts and Nevis, St Lucia, St Vincent and the Grenadines, Timor-Leste, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Tuvalu, Ukraine, United Arab Emirates, United States of America, Uruguay, Vanuatu, Venezuela.
*Information correct as of 24 April 2019. Please check the European Commission website for up to date information. 

Where to apply

You should apply at the embassy of the country you intend to spend the most time in. 

If you plan on travelling between several countries across an equal amount of time then you should apply to the embassy of the country which you will visit first.

When to apply

You can apply for your visa up to three months before you are due to travel. There is no deadline on applications but the application process takes around 15 days. You will not be able to enter the Schengen Area without the visa approved so you are advised to submit your application at least 15 days before you intend to travel. 

An appointment will be required to submit your application so be sure to check with the relevant Consulate or Embassy ahead of your visit.

Applications from certain countries may take up to 60 days to process so you are advised to submit your application at the earliest opportunity.

Supporting documents

The exact documents you need varies according to the embassy you apply to. The following documents are required for every country:

  1. Passport
    • This must have two blank pages and be valid for at least three months after you intend to leave the Schengen area.
    • Some countries require your passport to be valid for at least six months, so check this with the embassy.
  2. Completed application form
  3. Recent passport standard photo x 2
  4. Visa fee - €60 per person
    • An additional service fee may be required by the embassy
  5. Evidence of being a student at Regent’s University London
    • You can request this via the Student Hub – Document Request
  6. Valid medical insurance
  7. Proof of funds for the visit
    • Bank statements
    • Amount varies by country but can be as much as €120/day. Check with the embassy
  8. Proof of purpose for visit 
    • Accommodation booking/reservation or details of a specific tour itinerary
    • Formal invitation letter from a friend/family member – this may need to be verified by local authorities
    • Booked return travel may be required. If you intend to return to the UK, ensure your visa will still be valid.
  9. Your UK BRP or visa vignette if applying in London

Check the website of the relevant embassy to see which documentation is required for your application. You should take your application documents with you when you travel as you can be asked to demonstrate your eligibility at the border.


  • You should keep your passport, visa and application documents with you when travelling into the Schengen area and between countries. There may not be a check at the border but you could still be asked to prove your eligibility to enter a country
  • If you intend to work or study in the Schengen area, you should check what type of visa you will require with the embassy of that country
  • If you intend to leave and then re-enter the Schengen area then you should obtain a multiple-entry visa
  • You should take your BRP or visa with you when you travel in order to be able to re-enter the UK
  • If you attempt to re-enter the UK after you have completed your studies but before your Tier 4 visa expires you may be questioned by the Home Office about why you are returning and could be refused entry. 

For more information

Brexit information

The UK has now left the European Union and has entered a transition period which will end this year.

During this transition period, we would like to assure you that Regent’s will continue to do all we can to support our staff and students (both current and prospective). Further information for EU & EEA students can be found on this page.

A source of great pride for this University is our international community – our staff and students come from more than 140 countries across the globe. We are one of the most internationally diverse universities in the UK, in the heart of London – arguably one of the most internationally diverse cities in the world. We don’t envisage this changing any time soon.

What does Brexit mean for you?

We understand our staff and students will have many questions about what Brexit will mean for them personally. These pages offer immigration advice and guidance, and provide links to further information. You may also find the Universities UK Brexit FAQs a useful source of information.

If you're a UK citizen

The UK government has provided guidance on changes that will affect citizens. Use the information provided to find out how to prepare, and the steps you may need to take.

If you're a citizen of the EU, the EEA or Switzerland

You and your family may be able to apply for the UK Government's EU Settlement Scheme to continue living in the UK. 

For detailed information, please refer to the EU Settlement Scheme tab on this page.

For further support, please email us at [email protected]

Tuition fees

All students pay the same tuition fees, regardless of their nationality. This means there’s no uncertainty as to what EU students’ fees will be in the future.

However, you may wish to apply for funding to support your studies. If this is the case, you'll need to be aware of some important dates. For more information on finance and funding, please refer to the Student Finance tab on this page.

We're here to support you 

We will do all we can to ensure we provide the advice and support you need, and will remain in touch with the University community as Brexit continues to unfold.

EU & EEA Students

This section provides information and guidance to our prospective and current students who are citizens from the EU & EEA (including Switzerland), about their right to live, work and/or study in the UK following Brexit.

We fully support EU citizens in the UK, and appreciate you may be feeling concerned and anxious about the impact that Brexit will have. Therefore, we want to ensure that we support our students in the best possible way as we go through this uncertain time. 

EU Settlement Scheme

If you’re an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen, the Home Office has published details on how you and your family can apply to the EU Settlement Scheme to continue living in the UK.

For detailed information, please refer to the EU Settlement Scheme tab on this page.

For further support, please email us at [email protected]

Tuition fees

All students pay the same tuition fees, regardless of their nationality. This means there’s no uncertainty as to what EU students’ fees will be in the future. 

However, you may wish to apply for funding to support your studies. If this is the case, you'll need to be aware of some important dates. For more information on finance and funding, please refer to the Student Finance tab on this page.

EU Settlement Scheme

Freedom of movement to the UK for EU/EEA nationals and their family members is coming to an end following the UK’s decision to leave the EU. This means there will be restrictions on the ability to travel, live and study in the UK for these nationals where there have previously been none.

The EU Settlement Scheme allows EU, EEA and Swiss nationals already in the country the right to continue to reside, work and study freely inside the UK after the transitional period ends. Under the scheme, you may apply for pre-settled or settled status

Who can apply?

  • EU nationals with a valid passport
  • Citizens of the EEA (Norway, Lichtenstein, Iceland and Switzerland)
  • An eligible family member of someone from the previous two categories.

All the information below applies to people all three of the above categories. 


  • You must enter the UK before 31 December 2020 
  • The deadline for applications is 30 June 2021.

Once the transition period ends on January 1 2021, European nationals will no longer have the automatic right to enter, live or study in the UK. This means that if you leave the country after December 31 2020, you:

  • may not be able to re-enter the UK without proof of settled status or a valid work visa 
  • will need to apply under the UK's new immigration system. The details of this system are yet to be confirmed. 


When you apply for the EU Settlement Scheme you will be considered for one of two possible categories. The decision is automatic, based on the evidence you provide showing your length of residence in the UK.

Settled status

If you have lived in the UK for a continuous five-year period you can apply for settled status (indefinite leave to remain). This will allow you to remain in the UK permanently and also grants permission to study. If you have left the UK for more than six months in any 12-month period within the last five years, you are ineligible for settled status. This can be extended to 12 months in exceptional cases (such as illness).

Pre-settled status

If you have not lived in the UK for five consecutive years, but you do currently reside here, you can apply for pre-settled status. Then, once you have met the requirement of living in the UK for at least five years, you can then apply for settled status.

    How to apply

    Applying for the EU Settlement Scheme can be done online for free.

    The EU Settlement Scheme is not an automatic process and if you wish to receive its benefits then you must apply for it yourself. As with any immigration decision, you will need to assess all available options and determine which is the most appropriate for you. 

    Before you apply, you must ensure you meet the requirements, read the documentation, and prepare the correct documentation. As this is an immigration application, a refusal could have implications on your immigration history.

    If your application is successful, please provide Regent's a copy of your documents so we can update our records. 

    Supporting documents

    When you apply, you'll need to provide evidence of the following:

    Your identity. You can prove your identity in a number of ways:

    • If your passport has an NFC biometric chip, upload a digital photo with your phone or iPhone (version 7 or higher)
    • Complete an online application and upload your photo there. When you finish, post your application to the Home Office – you'll be given the address at the end of the application
    • Make an appointment to scan your ID document at a service location across the UK. Please follow this link and enter your postcode to find your nearest location.

    Residential history. You'll need to show evidence of how long you have lived in the UK.

    • If you're applying for Settled Status, provide your National Insurance Number. This links your application to your HMRC tax records and establishes the length of your residency. Please see the UK Home Office website for other types of acceptable evidence of residency.
    • If you're applying for Pre-Settled Status, you can request a Student Status Letter from the Student Hub to evidence that you reside here as a student.

    A photograph: upload a digital, passport-style photo of your face.

    Criminal history: you'll be asked to declare any criminal convictions.

    Other options

    If you can't or don't want to apply for the EU Settlement Scheme, you will need to apply under a new immigration route to enter the UK after January 1 2021, and to stay from July 1 2021. 

    The UK Home Office has announced its intentions to introduce new immigration routes to EU citizens beyond the settlement scheme. The details have yet to be made public, and we are unable to provide advice right now. It is believed that this system will be similar (but separate) to the Tier 4 visa system currently in place for non-EU/EEA nationals. We will update this page with more information when it becomes available.

    Updating your details

    To update your details once you've applied for the scheme, please inform us at [email protected]

    For more information 

    Regent's Student Immigration & Compliance Services are available to help and support all international students; you can contact them at [email protected]. For more advice, you can also:

    Student Finance

    All Regent's students pay the same tuition fees, regardless of their nationality. This means there’s no uncertainty as to what EU students’ fees will be in the future.

    However, you may wish to apply for funding to support your studies. If this is the case, you'll need to be aware of some important dates.

    If your course starts on or before July 31 2021

    The UK Government has confirmed that EU students who will start their course before July 31 2021 will remain eligible for financial support for the duration of their course, even if the course is due to end after the UK’s exit from the EU.

    If your course starts on or after August 1 2021

    If your course starts on or after August 1 2021, and you are an EU student, you will most likely be ineligible for financial support from Student Finance England, unless you're an Irish national, or qualify for a citizen's rights agreement.