Amparo Lallana is a Principal Lecturer in Spanish at Regent’s University London where she leads the Spanish, Portuguese and Italian section. She has extensive experience of teaching Spanish and Intercultural communication both UG and PG as well as specialist Advanced Business Spanish courses.
Amparo has solid experience in academic management having held the roles of Head of the Languages and Cross-cultural Studies Department as well as Programme Director for the BA International Business. She has published on the benefits of Study Abroad experiences, on Computer Mediated Communication for language learning, on Intercultural Telecollaboration and on embedding employability in foreign language teaching and learning. She has an MA in Translation.
Amparo currently chairs ELE-UK, the UK Association for the Teaching and Learning of Spanish in Higher and Adult Education which she helped establish. She has also taught in Spain and worked for the New York Board of Education in the US; her industry experience includes setting up and managing a language school in Spain and professional translation in a variety of fields.
- MA Translation, Middlesex University, London, 1996
- Certificate of Teaching Spanish for Business, ESADE, Barcelona, Spain, 1998
- CAP (PG Teaching Certificate) Institute of Education (ICE), Universidad de Valladolid, Spain, 1983
- BA English Philology, Universidad de Valladolid, Spain, 1982
Relevant Past Employment
- 2015 to date: Subject Group Leader in Spanish, Italian and Portuguese, responsible for academic leadership of all UG, PG and Evening Courses in Spanish, Italian and Portuguese at Regent’s University London and the management of said teaching teams
- 2014-15: Pathway Leader in Spanish and Portuguese at Regent’s University London
- 2012-14: Acting Programme Director of the BA International Business, responsible for academic management and administration of the programme, quality assurance of programme-related processes, leadership of Programme Development Team and chairing of Programme Advisory Board at Regent’s University London
- 2012: Acting Head of the Languages and Cross-cultural Studies Department: responsible for staffing and scheduling of all language and cross-cultural provision across campus, for academic leadership and line management of 40 academic staff, for curriculum and assessment revision, workload allocation, monitoring performance and recruiting at Regent’s University London
- 2005-12: Pathway Leader in Spanish and Portuguese at Regent’s University London
- 1995-to date: lecturing in Spanish at Regent’s University London
- 1994-1996: Visiting Lecturer in Spanish at Imperial College, Instituto Cervantes and Middlesex University, London, UK
- 1987-94: Director, Teacher of Spanish & EFL at Inglés Express Language Services (self-employed), Burgos, Spain
- 1986-87: Teacher of Spanish and ESL, DeWitt Clinton High School, New York City Board of Education, NY, USA
- 1984-86: In-house Translator / Interpreter, Pepsi.Co.Spain, Burgos, Spain
- Lallana, A. & Salamanca, P (2017 forthcoming) #CulturaTándem, preparing students for today's multicultural societies; A virtual exchange between the Regent’s University London and the University of Applied Languages SDI Munich, In Gross-Dinter, U., Feuser, F. and Ramos Méndez-Sahlender, C. (eds), Zum Umgang mit Migration, Zwischen Empörungsmodus und Lösungsorientierung, Munich
- Lallana, A., & Pastor-González, V. (2016). Spanish for business: a journey into employability. In E. Corradini, K. Borthwick and A. Gallagher-Brett (Eds), Employability for languages: a handbook (pp. 155-160). Dublin: Research-publishing.net. http://dx.doi.org/10.14705/rpnet.2016.cbg2016.477
- The Penguin Spanish Phrasebook (4th ed.), (2013) with Norman, J. et al, Penguin
- Lallana, A. “Prácticas de colaboración y comunicación mediada por ordenador (CMO): en la clase de ELE” (2011) in MarcoELE, no.13, pp.112-121.
- Lallana, A., & Mannix, R. (2008) “Assessing and Integrating the benefits of Study Period Abroad Programs in International Business with Languages Undergraduate Degrees: A Case Study of The European Business School London” (2008) in Quality Assurance in Higher Education: An Anthology of Best Practice, Proceedings of the 2nd Athens International Conference on University Assessment, Hellenic American Union, pp. 113-129.
- Lallana, A., & Müller, J. (2001) “Circles or Squares? Straddling Intercultural sensitivity and Bottom-Line Profit” (2001) in Poetics and Praxis of Languages and Intercultural Education, Proceedings of the conference at Leeds Metropolitan University, December 1999, edited by Killick, D., Perry, M., and Phipps, A. University of Glasgow French and German Publications / Centre for Language Study Leeds Metropolitan University, Vol. II, pp.15-24.
- Academic Advisor for Study Abroad in Spanish and Portuguese
- Language consultancy services to the University of Westminster
Conference Papers Given
- “Reframing language learning: the employability question”, with V. Pastor-González at Regent’s Learning & Teaching Conference, June 2017
- “Articulating an employability narrative for Modern Languages Modules, a case study”, with V. Pastor-González at the PedRIO Conference, Employability in the Curriculum and Beyond, Plymouth, January 2017.
- “Journey into employability”, Encuentro ELE-UK2016, UK Association for the Teaching and Learning of Spanish in Higher and Adult Education, University of Reading, 24th June 2016
- “Twitter, ab initio (desde el principio)”, Encuentro ELE-UK2015, UK Association for the Teaching and Learning of Spanish in Higher and Adult Education, University of Nottingham, 12th June 2015.
- “The CV is only the tip of the iceberg: Embedding employability in language modules” with V. Pastor-González & O. Helly at the Languages & Employability Conference, Regent’s University London, 5th June 2015
- “Comunicación mediada por ordenador (CMO): prácticas de competencia escrita”, with V. Pastor-González, M. Paolucci & E. Lecumberri, 1er Encuentro para profesores de centros universitarios y de centros formadores de ELE de Londres, Regent’s College, June 2011.
- “Computer-mediated Communication (CMC) in Foreign Languages”, Learning & Teaching Project, LTC, Regent’s College, May 2011.
- "A study of students' engagement with interactive tools in the language class", 31st ACIS Conference Association of Contemporary Iberian Studies, Roehampton University, London, September 2010.
- “Integration of Study Period Abroad into Students’ Final Year”, Learning & Teaching Project, Regent’s College, LTC, May 2007.
- “Academic Usage of the Study Period Abroad”, Learning & Teaching Project, Regent’s College, LTC, May 2005.
- “Circles or Squares? Straddling Intercultural sensitivity and Bottom-Line Profit” with J. Müller , IALIC Conference, Leeds Metropolitan University, December 1999
Amparo has supervised a number of undergraduate dissertations as well as other UG students’ academic projects (Individual Learning Project, Placement Learning Project, etc.) in areas of business, management and cross-cultural studies. She is also the Academic Advisor for Study Abroad in Spanish and Portuguese-speaking countries.
Amparo is currently involved in studying the role of languages in graduates’ employability as well as in collaborative learning in virtual teams. Other interests include digital literacy, social media in foreign language learning and in education, mobile pedagogy, and languages and cultures of the world.
- Chair of ELE-UK, Association for the Teaching and Learning of Spanish in Higher Education
- Fellow of The Higher Education Academy
Teaching & Course Development
- Module Leader of LSP6A1 Spanish for Business, final year module.
- Revision of Languages for Business modules for revalidation
- Development of 2 final year UG modules: Languages for Professionals, Languages in the Global World
- Development of a module on Mobile Pedagogy for the MA in Teaching and Learning,
Amparo has ample external examining experience at UG and PG level: she currently holds that position at City University and Imperial College and has previously been External Examiner in Spanish in University of Durham, Westminster University, and Thames Valley University.
She has also been a Vetter of Examination Materials, for the Foreign & Commonwealth Office and a member of the External Advisory Panel for the Department of Languages Audit at London Guildhall University, London.
She has been a member on various validation panels for both Undergraduate and Postgraduate Courses at Regent’s University London. She is also the UK Administrator and Principal Examiner of the Business Spanish Qualifications awarded by the Spanish Chamber of Commerce in Great Britain.