Renata is a qualified German linguist with skills and qualifications in language tuition, project management and translation. A native German and near-native French speaker, Renata has over 20 years extensive experience in adult language teaching, of which 15 are in the Higher Education sector.
She has been a German lecturer at Regent’s University since 2002, and SPA academic advisor since 2008, and also taught MBA students at London Business School and evening classes at King’s College London.
Prior to these positions, she worked extensively in the London corporate sector where she conducted in-company tutorials for business executives.
In the translation and localisation sector, her key achievement was working with the late Douglas Adams, the creator of the cult science-fiction series Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. She co-wrote and translated over 13 hours of German dialogue and managed the entire German-French-Japanese localisation process of an multimedia project.
This experience led her to becoming a localisation project manager for a US software company before applying her organisational and communication skills in the HE sector.
- Foundation diploma in Psychotherapy, Regent’s College London, 2009
- Diploma of Translation, Institute of Linguists, London, 1996
- M.A. in History of Art, University of Louvain, Belgium, 1987
- B.A. in Philosophy, University of Louvain, Belgium, 1985
Relevant Past Employment
- 2002 – Present: Lecturer and German SPA coordinator for BAIB and BAIEM Programme, European Business School/Regent’s University London
- 2002 – 2012: German lecturer for evening classes and business MBA, King’s College, London Business School
- 2002 – 2009: Translator and editor of German material for TV programmes, (i.e. Newsnight, The Anatomists, D-Day in Berlin), Channel Four, BBC
- 2002 – 2008: Subtitling : Visiontext Subtitling, European Captioning Institute, Broadcast Text
- 1999 – 2001: Localisation Project Manager, US based software company Aspect Communications
- 1997 – 1999: Translator and Localisation Manager, Douglas Adams’ technology start-up The Digital Village
- 1992 – 1997: German and French Language Consultant and teacher
- 1988 – 1991: Director’s Assistant, Department of Culture, Belgian government
Translated and co-edited:
The Penguin German Phrasebook: Fourth Edition (Phrase Book, Penguin) by Norman, Jill, Hitchin, Ute, Henkes, Renata (2013) Paperback
Intercultural awareness, Multilingual Brains, History, Psychology of Learning, Memory culture, Storytelling
- Translated and edited the Penguin German phrasebook, 2013
- Curated video exhibition about Cultural diversity at Regent’s University, 2012
- Curated exhibition about Fall of the Berlin Wall at Regent’s University, 2009
- Translated and adapted the German audio guides for the British Museum’s highlight tour, 2008
- Consulted the BBC on German related TV programmes, 2003
- Project managed multilingual software and multimedia projects, 2001
- Translated the German version of the CD-ROM game Starship Titanic and its companion website by Douglas Adams, 1999
Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
Teaching & Course Development
- Module leader of German courses from stages 1 to 6 for BA in International Business
- Course tutor and facilitator on undergraduate module Global Perspectives
- Lecturer on German evening class programme
- Consultant on Belgian cultural briefings to Regent’s MBA students
- Participation in Erasmus teaching mobility scheme with German partner universities