Westminster Bridge

Visas and Immigration Arrival Information

This page contains important information about what those with a Student Visa will need to do before and after they arrive in the UK. Please read this carefully to ensure you are able to complete registration.

If you are from the EU, EEA or Switzerland, please first view our EU Settlement Scheme page, explaining how studying in the UK will change for you after 01 January 2021.

Before you arrive in the UK

By now you will hopefully have your CAS document from Regent’s University London and have submitted your Student Visa application. When a visa is granted, you will then usually receive a stamp in your passport (known as a vignette) which gives you 30 days to enter the UK. You can use this to enter the UK and will need to collect your Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) after you arrive. You can apply to enter the UK at a later date if you do not currently wish to travel.

Some vignettes are now issued which give you 90 days in which to enter the UK. If you cannot travel during this time, you will need to apply for a Vignette Transfer. There can be a cost to this request.

If you have not been issued your CAS or are unsure what documents you still need to provide then please contact the Admissions team.

When to arrive

You should aim to arrive in the UK after you have been issued your visa and before your course start date, as outlined in your offer letter. If you are doing a course that is six months or longer you will be able to come to the UK up to one month before your course start date, but not before the start date on your vignette.

You should not attempt to travel to the UK before you are issued your visa or before the start date on your vignette, as you will not be granted Student Visa leave and depending on your circumstances may be refused entry at the UK Border or be required to leave and re-enter the UK within the validity of your Student Visa leave in order to gain the correct status to study your course. 

Non-visa nationals, including EU, EEA and Swiss nationals, may be granted entry on a Visitor visa upon arrival. This is not sufficient for you to study with us and you will not be able to complete registration. Please ensure you enter using your Student Visa.

At the border

If you are yet to travel to the UK, you can watch the videos below from the Home Office that explain what you can expect at the border if you are not sure what to look out for when you arrive in the UK. It’s recommended to follow their advice to help them process you quickly and improve your experience at the UK border.

Are you a national from the EU, EEA, Australia, Canada, New Zealand, Japan, Singapore, South Korea, Switzerland or United States of America?

The Home Office has expanded the use of eGates to nationals from these countries. If you are a national from the list above and use the eGates you will no longer have to complete a landing card, and will no longer receive an entry stamp in your passport from an immigration officer on the border, confirming the date you entered the UK.

You must have an entry clearance/visa that is valid when you enter the UK (e.g. your Student Visa), to ensure you enter under the correct visa route.

If you enter the UK using an eGate before the start date of your visa, then you will be granted entry as a Visitor. If this happens, you would need to leave and re-enter the UK within the validity of your visa.

If you enter an eGate on your visa vignette, please keep evidence to show you have entered the UK during the validity of your vignette (e.g. fight ticket or boarding pass), as you will be required to provide this additional evidence at registration.

Coronavirus requirements

All travellers to the UK must provide their journey, contact and address-upon-arrival details to the UK Government before they begin their journey, in line with UK Coronavirus requirements. The government will use this information to contact you if you or someone you’ve travelled with develops coronavirus (COVID-19) symptoms. You may be fined and prevented from entering the UK if you do not provide this information.

Please do this by following this link up to 48 hours before you travel.

Do not travel if you have Coronavirus symptoms.

Coronavirus quarantine

Depending on your country of departure and journey to the UK you may need to observe a mandatory period of self-isolation immediately upon arrival in the UK. This involves remaining in the place you're staying for the first 14 days after you arrive. You will need to provide your journey and contact details to the UK Government. Full information and details of the steps you need to take can be found on the Government website.

More information on COVID-19 can be found on our dedicated page.

Once you arrive in the UK

Collecting your BRP

You will need to collect your BRP from the location stated on your UK Visas and Immigration decision letter. You should collect your BRP as soon as possible, but ensure you observe quarantine measures before attempting to do so. Your BRP should be held until you can collect it following quarantine.

If you have any difficulties collecting your BRP, then please contact Student Immigration team at [email protected].

Police Registration

Students of certain nationalities are required to register with the Police within 7 days of arrival to the UK. Please check our webpage for details of how to do this.


You may be asked to provide documents to the University in line with UK Visas and Immigration requirements.

You will receive an email from the Admissions team setting out which documents you need to provide and when. You may also receive further correspondence from the Visas team regarding this. Please ensure you reply promptly to these emails.

If you have questions regarding specific document requirements, please contact the Admissions team at [email protected].

Your contact details

You will need to ensure to keep us updated with your current address, email and telephone number. This is integral since we use these mediums to communicate important information to you. If you details should change whilst studying you will need to update us and UK Visas and Immigration as soon as you can. 

Those who are required to register with the Police will also need to update the Overseas Records Visitors Office.