The following statement explains why and how the Regent's University London (Regent’s) Development & Alumni Relations department (DAR) collects, processes and manages your data.
1. Who manages the data and what we do with it?
- DAR connects Regent’s with its alumni, volunteers, donors and other supporters. We organize events, send you publications and enable access to university resources. We also raise funds to support the university and its students. We do this in accordance with the university’s data protection policies, which you can find here.
- For this, we use a database which tracks your interactions with Regent’s over time. While most of the data comes from you (e.g. via the student records system at graduation stage), we also add to it from public sources. We use research to update information held on you and your ability and willingness to volunteer with the university or support us financially. You can update your communications preferences or simply opt out at any time here.
2. Examples how your data will be used include:
- Sending you publications (e.g. Inner Circle magazine)
- Inviting you to events (e.g. alumni dragon’s den)
- Seeking your participation in fundraising programmes (e.g. Spirit of Regent’s annual fund)
- Promoting volunteering engagements (e.g. mentoring opportunities)
- Offering you discounts and services (e.g. postgraduate or executive programmes).
3. We declare that we have a legitimate interest in the following activities concerning students, staff, alumni, volunteers and donors. To this end we may contact you regarding:
- Staying in touch (e.g. via social media)
- Offering services and benefits (e.g. careers support, Regent’s clubs)
- Supporting Regent’s educational mission and its strategic and operational aims (e.g. by fundraising, advisory boards).
4. What data is held:
- We retain education records on all former students in perpetuity. This way, you can get a transcript even after many years.
- We may also retain other information, such as:
- personal information (e.g. name, titles, date of birth)
- contact details (e.g. postal and email addresses, phone numbers, instant messaging and social media accounts)
- your academic history at and beyond Regent’s (e.g. previous schools and postgraduate programmes)
- occupational information (e.g. your job sector and employer)
- hobbies and interests (e.g. to organize student / alumni sports events)
- family and spouse/partner details
- your relationships with others within the Regent’s network
- media coverage of and content created by and about you, including social media postings
- donations and Gift Aid status (this is required by HMRC)
- we keep records on:
- any communications we have exchanged with you
- your wealth and potential ability to donate to support Regent’s educational mission
- your engagement with Regent’s at meetings, events, clubs, as well as volunteering and networking opportunities
- your use of University services (e.g. use of the entrepreneurship Hive). Operational data on engagement with such services (e.g. student support journal entries) may be retained for up to three years within our student services database after graduation and then deleted.
- web analytics about your use of Regent’s online properties, such as:
- IP address, location and browser type
- Navigation data and referral source
- length of visit and page views.
- The University is fully PCI-DSS compliant and does not store credit/debit card details. Bank details used for processing Direct Debits are stored by a trusted third-party, under the Direct Debit Guarantee scheme.
- Your rights under the GDPR and data protections acts are protected, including your right to be forgotten. See Regent’s statement on this.
Any changes to this statement will be posted here.