US Financial Aid

Regent’s University London’s programmes will no longer be eligible for Federal Student Aid for new borrowers, from September 2020


Direct subsidised and unsubsidised loans for US citizens, as well as Direct PLUS loans for eligible US citizens and eligible non-citizens administered by the US Department of Education (USED) for all eligible degree programmes offered at Regent’s University London. 

Type of funding Loan
Loan amount Up to the cost of attendance set up by the University 
Level of study Undergraduate, Postgraduate 
Nationality US citizens and eligible non-citizens
How to apply Please follow the Application process flowchart and read the How to apply section



At Regent’s University London, all US Student loans are processed by our Finance Department.


US citizens and eligible non-citizens might be eligible for US Direct Student Loans, and/or Private Educational loans. Please note that Regent's University London is not eligible to receive US Federal Grants, including Pell Grant, as we are a foreign school located overseas. Non-US citizens are not eligible for US Financial Aid.

COVID-19 and US Federal Student Aid

The U.S. Congress passed the CARES Act on 27 March 2020.  Part of this legislation waives the prohibition against distance education for students receiving U.S. Direct Loans for study at eligible foreign institutions of higher education.  At this time, this means you can continue your studies remotely, if you wish, without any implications for your Federal loan entitlement. The waiver applies retroactively to 1 March 2020 and will remain through the end of the COVID 19 emergency (as declared by government authorities in the country where the foreign institution is located) and for the following payment period (generally the following term). Please be sure you keep up-to-date on the UK government guidance, and Public Health England.

Should you have any further questions please email [email protected]


You may borrow funds based on Regent’s Cost of Attendance and not more than the limit set by the University. The Cost of Attendance spreadsheet is available under the Apply section of this web page to help determine the amount of funding required.

There is an entitlement (subject to meeting certain eligibility criteria as set out by US Federal Department of Education) to Direct Subsidised (undergraduates only) and Direct Unsubsidised loans which have fixed limits depending on whether the student is dependent, independent or postgraduate. These may be topped up to the full cost of attendance with a Direct PLUS loan which is not an entitlement, but is subject to credit checking and may be declined by Department of Education. Private loans can be used instead of or in combination with Direct PLUS loan, and is also subject to credit checking - see the Private Loan tab for more information.


 Loan limits for

All students

Dependent students

Independent students


Subsidised Loan

Unsubsidised Loan

Unsubsidised Loan

Undergraduate year 1




Undergraduate year 2




Undergraduate year 3








 PLUS Loan

  Balance up to Cost of Attendance

 Private Educational loan

Balance up to Cost of Attendance

For further details of US Student Loans eligibility requirements and loan amounts please visit the Federal Student Aid website.

The US Department of Education charge an origination fee on all loans and this is deducted from each disbursement. The value of the fees and the disbursements are shown in the Cost of Attendance spreadsheet (accessible on the Apply section).

For more detailed information, see the US Department of Education (USED) Student Aid website.


All Master’s and Bachelor’s degree programmes validated and offered by Regent’s University London are eligible for funding (except the part-time MA in Psychotherapy & Counselling or programmes with a distance learning element). This includes programmes with integrated foundation levels. Certificate,  Diploma (non-degree) programmes, and Research Degree programmes (Doctoral) are ineligible for US Financial Aid.  

Non-degree seeking students studying on a degree programme (Study Abroad students from other institutions) are also ineligible to receive this funding through Regent's University London. These students need to enquire about availability of this funding at their home institution.

Study Period Abroad

Some programmes at Regent’s University London offer an optional or mandatory  Study Period Abroad,  for one or two semesters.  Students receiving Federal Student Aid are required to attend a school deemed “eligible” by the US Department of Education, or a “deferment only” school in which Regent’s has a consortium agreement.  No SPA can be undertaken in the United States.  Students who have American citizenship or are Eligible non-citizens who do not currently have US financial aid are also subject to these terms and conditions if they wish to have Federal funding during any part of their programme.  

A student who wishes to attend an “ineligible” school, which includes any school in the USA, will forfeit all funding from that semester going forward and all loans will become due with immediate effect.  For any questions regarding these terms and conditions, please email the US Loans Advisor at [email protected] .  For questions regarding what an “eligible” or “deferment only” school is, please  email the IPO office, [email protected] or [email protected] before applying for a programme with an SPA module.

Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)

Regent’s University London is required by USED Regulations to ensure that all students receiving Federal Student aid (Subsidised, Unsubsidised and PLUS) are making satisfactory academic progress (SAP) both Qualitative and Quantitative components. If you fail to meet SAP you will become ineligible for US Direct Loans. Read Regent's SAP Policy. Regent’s University London Academic Regulations can be found here.

Return of Unearned US Student Aid (R2T4)

We are required by USED to complete special calculation for students withdrawing from their programme prior to the end of their teaching period (semester or term). As a result of this calculation, we might be required to return all of the Direct Loans funds or a certain amount back to the US Government. Should this leave you with an outstanding balance, this will be required to be paid back to the University in full.

Return of Title IV Funds Policy

National Student Loan Data System

The University will provide information per compliance regulations regarding all US loans borrowers to NSLDS. This data is accessible to lenders, schools and guaranty agencies whom are authorised users of the data system. Further information regarding NSLDS reporting can be found here.

Exit Counselling

For any US borrower (with the exception of Parent PLUS loans) who takes a break in studies, withdraws, ceases at least half-time study or graduates from Regent’s University will be required to complete Exit Counselling. All exit counselling materials will be sent to the student for completion at website.

Refund policy

Information regarding Regent’s University London refund policy can be found here.

Application process

Applying for financial aid at Regent's University London

Regent’s University London’s Federal School Code is: 042188

1. Submit a FAFSA

Students wishing to apply for financial aid are required to complete a FAFSA. This can be completed on-line.

Free Application for Federal Student Aid

You can apply for 2021-22 using the FAFSA on the Web from 1 October 2020. 

On the FAFSA website you will find details on how to obtain an FSA ID, consisting of a user-created username and password. If you have applied previously you will be able to complete the Renewal FAFSA.
You will need certain documents in order to complete your FAFSA. Typically, these include you and your parents’ Federal income tax returns and W-2s for the prior-prior calendar year. A full list of the documents you will need can be found on the FAFSA website.

Include Regent’s University London’s school code: 042188 in the appropriate place on your FAFSA for consideration for aid.  

Students commencing a postgraduate level programme at Regent’s University London are must select "1st Year Grad/Prof" as their grade level in college even if they have previously completed study in a postgraduate programme.  New students commencing an undergraduate programme at Regent’s University London must select either “1st year never attended” or “1st year continuing” as your student status, even if they have previously completed undergraduate coursework prior to Regent’s.

Once your FAFSA is completed and processed it will generate a Student Aid Report. This is used by Regent’s to determine your eligibility for a loan as stipulated by the US Department of Education.  If there are any comments on your Student Aid Report which require attention please take appropriate action or contact the University's Financial Aid Office for advice.

Please note students are required to complete a FAFSA each year. A Renewal FAFSA is designed for students who applied for aid the previous year. This can be completed on-line  Free Application for Federal Student Aid.

**You will need to save a PDF copy of your Student Aid Report(SAR) for upload as part of your document package**

2. E-sign Your Federal Direct Loan Master Promissory Note (MPN)

All students taking out a federal Direct loan outside the US are required to complete a Master Promissory Note (MPN) annually before loans can be originated and funds disbursed. Please choose the Regent’s University London as your school and complete the MPN(s).

E- sign your Federal Direct loan MPN on the website, using your Federal Student Aid ID to log in.   Follow the five-step process to sign your MPN, either as an Undergraduate student or as a Graduate/Professional student or as a Parent of a Dependent Undergraduate student.

For Graduate PLUS or Parent PLUS loans a separate MPN is required, if applicable. As PLUS loans are subject to a credit check, MPNs for PLUS loans must be signed using a US postal address. An overseas address will automatically result in the credit check being pended.

Parents of dependent students may be eligible for a Parent PLUS loan, if they meet loan approval requirements and the student is under the age of 24.  

The parent will login to and complete the application process and sign an MPN. Once approved, the parent receives an email stating that the loan is approved.  This email will be one of the required documents for upload to the secure cloud.

**You need to save a copy of each MPN as a pdf for upload as part of your document package**

**Parents will need to upload both the PLUS MPN and credit approval email as part of the document package**

3. Loan Entrance Counselling

The U.S. Department of Education requires first-time borrowers of the federal Direct loan to complete a loan entrance counselling session before loans can be originated and funds disbursed. You can complete this online on the web site either as a first-time Undergraduate borrower or as a first time Graduate/Professional borrower.

This counselling session provides you with information that will help you understand your rights and responsibilities as a loan borrower, as well as other tools to assist you with managing your loans. Regent’s University London requires all borrowers to complete Entrance Counselling each academic year.  You will also be required to complete Exit Counselling upon graduation or withdrawal from Regent’s.

**Please save a screenshot of your completed Entrance Counselling, or a copy of the confirmation email for uploading as part of your document package**

4. Complete the cost of attendance worksheet 

The cost of attendance worksheet is for an academic year. While costs may vary depending on where students live in London, we expect students' cost of attendance to be roughly in line with our estimates and the university is required to issue a standard cost of attendance spreadsheet to all students on the same programme of study. Students aren’t required to borrow the full cost of attendance, if they have funding from other sources such as scholarships or sponsors.

The cost of attendance is the maximum allowed for a student to borrow for the academic year.  Please note only weeks of coursework are funded per Federal Student Aid compliance.

Students will need to complete both the cost of attendance tab and the checklist tab.

Regent’s University London strongly encourages students to read all of the US Financial aid information on our website.  Any questions regarding this information can be directed to [email protected]

**You will need to save the cost of attendance worksheet in Excel format to upload as part of your document package**

5. Upload your document package

Once you have completed your documents, and have everything saved, you can email [email protected] and ask for your secure link.  A member of the finance team will send you a link that will likely go into your spam folder.

Click on the link, and it will send you a verification code.  Once you have verified, you can now upload your documents to Regent’s secure cloud.  Please note all student documents (SAR, MPN, COA worksheet and Entrance Counselling) must come from the student’s email address.

Parents using a  Parent Plus loan must email [email protected] for a secure link to upload their documents to the cloud server and the request must come from their email address.  They will need to upload both the credit approval and the PLUS MPN.

6. What the financial aid office will do next

Once you have uploaded your documents, we will have a look to make sure everything is complete and confirm to you by email within 24-48 hours.  We will confirm the amount of the PLUS loan on the cost of attendance worksheet with the parent to ensure the amount borrowed is agreed.  Once we have their authorisation back, we will begin processing your aid.

Please allow 3-5 business days for us to originate your loans and process an award letter.

You will be notified when your estimated award letter is ready to review in your secure cloud.  Using the same link as before, you can go in and review the details of the letter, ensuring the accuracy.  You will need to confirm that you accept the letter and upload your international or UK bank account details.  If this is a Parent PLUS loan, and the parent wishes to receive the funds, then they will have to upload their international or UK bank account details. 

Then we will upload a final, signed/stamped copy.  This can serve as proof of funding for your Visa.
You will need to pay your deposit before the Visa office can issue a CAS for you to apply for your Visa.

How to apply

For an outline of the application process, use the US Student Loans Application flowchart below, and for further guidance on financial aid please refer to this document. Once you have completed the 2021-22 FAFSA, you must contact the finance office, [email protected], to let them know that you have done so.  

For 2021-22, the application deadline for Autumn 2021 is 9 August 2021.

Funding amounts

You can borrow up to the amount outlined in the Cost of Attendance which is set by Regent’s University London. The maximum loan you can receive cannot exceed the yearly cost of attendance less any financial aid you may be receiving. Financial aid may include; sponsorship, scholarships and other financial aid from the UK and or the USA.

Direct Subsidised and Direct Unsubsidised Loan amounts for Federal Stafford Loans and aggregate limit are published in the Eligibility tab above.

Regent’s University London has set the following costs as part of the cost of attendance (amounts shown in GBP sterling):

Weekly expenses

  1. Rent/room - £340.00 per week
  2. Board (food and utilities) - £110.00 per week
  3. Books and copying - £20.00 per week
  4. Local transportation - £35.00 per week
  5. Personal - £90.00 per week

Suggested single costs

Loan Information

2021-22 Academic Year

Autumn 2021 Semester

The deadline for US Loans applications for Autumn 2021, is 9 August 2021. All applications submitted after this date will be processed in due course, but we cannot guarantee that they will be processed in time for the first disbursement date, please see below.

Our Federal school code for Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is 042188, but please note that completing the FAFSA is only the first step of the process. Please refer to the US Student Loans Application in the Apply section for all the steps required to complete packaging your aid.

Direct loans originated and Private Educational loans certified by Regent’s will be disbursed in equal instalments during the first two weeks of each semester.

All of your US Loans funding will be disbursed in USD as per your award letter, but the actual GBP sterling amount you receive will vary as it is dependent upon the exchange rate from USD to GBP at the time of disbursement.

Disbursement dates for 2021-22 are:

Autumn 2021 start:

  1. 1 October 2021
  2. 2 February 2022
  3. 6 June 2022 (Postgraduates and summer BAGM students only)

Please note that these dates are estimates and actual disbursement dates may change.

Disbursement of aid is conditional upon the following:

  • Maintaining satisfactory academic progress
  • Enrolled at least half time (at least 50% of a full study load)
  • Studying outside of the USA
  • Compliance with all US Federal regulations (Selective Service Registration for male students, repayment default, fraud, drugs etc.)

You will receive notification when funds are due for disbursement. Those wanting to cancel or reduce disbursements must make requests to [email protected]

Consumer Information

Degree accreditation

Regent's University London is a registered provider with the Office for Students. Our provider registration number is UKPRN 10003331. The register can be found here.

Academic programmes

All academic programmes offered by Regent's University London are published on our website: Study at Regent's University London.

Textbook information

Information about any required and recommended textbooks for your course will be provided to you by your department. If you require specific information about textbooks, please contact the relevant department for advice.

General library information can be found at Library services.

The University has signed up to the Copyright Licensing Agency (CLA) Comprehensive Higher Education Photocopying, Scanning and Digital Material Re-use Licence (CLA Licence) for printed resources and the terms of our Educational Recording Agency licence regulate the use of video material. Guidance is available to students on both of these from Library Services. Please refer to the Student Handbook for further information regarding Copyright.

Completion, retention and transfer out rates

Information on the University’s completion and transfer-out rates is available from the Higher Education Statistics Agency (HESA) for the period 2015/16 onwards. The provisional 1-year non-continuation rates for our 2015/16 new starters on UK designated undergraduate programmes is 19.7%.

HESA non-continuation data

Student rights and responsibilities

The University’s academic regulations contain all the academic regulations and procedures which constitute the University’s framework for quality and standards.

Academic regulations

Expectations of all students are laid out in the Regent’s University London Student Charter.

Student Charter

Information regarding Code of Conduct, Disciplinary Policy, Attendance Policy, Accommodation, Careers & Employability, Student Complaints,  Fire Safety, Campus Security,Health and Wellbeing and Student Fitness can be found in the student handbook.

Student Handbook

Code of Conduct for US Loans

In order to prohibit a conflict of interest of a member of staff with respect to private education loans, all staff at Regent’s University with responsibility for US loans are prohibited from the following:

  • Revenue-sharing arrangements with any lender
  • Receiving gifts from a lender, a guarantor, or a loan servicer
  • Contracting arrangements providing financial benefit from any lender or affiliate of a lender
  • Directing borrowers to particular lenders, or refusing or delaying loan certifications
  • Offers of funds for private loans
  • Call centre or financial aid office staffing assistance
  • Advisory board compensation.

All applicants for private loans must use Sallie Mae, as they are the only private lender currently working with schools in the UK. Sallie Mae is not a preferred lender and this doesn’t represent a preferred lender arrangement.
All agents with responsibility for US loans are reminded at least annually of the code.

Disability information

Regent’s University London supports disabled students, using the definition of disability from the Equality Act, 2010. If a disability may affect your ability to participate in your chosen course or in campus life, please tell us as soon as possible, so that we can discuss your support needs with you. If you have complex needs, we advise you to contact the Disability Officer before applying. The Disability Officer will need to ask you specific questions in order to assess how best we can support you.

For further information see Disability Information.

Health and wellbeing

The University aims to support you to enjoy a healthy and balanced life and can refer you to appropriate health-care services at times of ill health.

For further information on health matters and insurance please refer to the Student Handbook.

It is important to note that Federal regulations prohibit Title IV assistance to students convicted (State or Federal) of drug-related offences; therefore a student convicted of drug-related offences will lose his/her Title IV loan eligibility.

Crime rates

Reported crime statistics for the Regent's Park and Primrose Hill neighbourhood is available from the Metropolitan Police.

Metropolitan Police crime information  

Contact the Finance Department: [email protected] +44 (0)20 7487 7447

Drugs and alcohol policy

The US Department of Education provides information on penalties associated with drug-related offenses which include loss of Title IV eligibility, associated with the Higher Education Act.

If you should lose eligibility as a result of these penalties, we will provide written notice of your loss of eligibility and advise how you can regain eligibility. Information regarding these penalties can be found here.

The University in no way condones the misuse of drugs or alcohol and will balance disciplinary action with appropriate support for student who misuse them. The University policy regarding disciplinary action for Drug and related offenses can be found in the institutional student disciplinary policy.

Campus Student Support Services can provide information on registering with the National Health Service or making an appointment with a counsellor on campus. Further information is provided in our Student Handbook. The NHS can assist with any medical or psychological condition related to drug and/or alcohol abuse for students and employees.

Information regarding prevention of drug and alcohol abuse can be found here.

Drug and alcohol abuse can cause short and long-term health problems. For more information please see the following websites:

The NHS facilities closest to Regent’s University London can be found here.

You can get a fine or prison sentence if you take, carry, make or sell drugs or psychoactive substances. The penalties depend on the drug and the amount you have, and whether you’re also dealing or producing the drug.

Intercollegiate Athletics Programmes

Regent’s University London does not participate in an Intercollegiate athletics programme as defined by the US Department of Education.

Regent’s University London does offer the Filippo Corsini Polo Scholarship for eligible undergraduate students. 

1098-T forms for US Tax Credit

As a foreign school, Regent's University London does not produce 1098-T tax forms, nor has an EIN number with the United States Internal Revenue Service.

Sallie Mae Private Loan Information

The only private loan currently available to students at foreign schools is the Smart Option Loan from Sallie Mae. Sallie Mae also has a Parent Loan and a Graduate Loan.

To apply

  • Eligible students may borrow funds based on Regent’s Cost of Attendance and not more than the limit set by the University from all fund sources including Direct Loans, and/or Private loans. Students can access the Cost of Attendance spreadsheet under the Apply tab to help determine the amount of funding required. 
  • Click on the following link to Sallie Mae and apply online 
  • Send a copy of your e-signed Promissory Note to [email protected] together with your cost of attendance spreadsheet. Please note that the Truth in Lending Act requires that completed and signed self certification Promissory notes are an essential part of your application, we will not process loans without this document 
  • Please enter USL Smart Loan in the subject field of the email

We require your Promissory Note to be able to certify your loan.

For further information on Private loans: